back to article RSA awards 7-year infrastructure overhaul deal to Wipro

RSA, one of Britain's oldest insurance firms, has awarded a seven-year IT infrastructure transformation deal to software company Wipro. Wipro will assume responsibility for RSA’s data centres, cloud, and end-user services, plus a multi-lingual service desk in the UK, Ireland and Scandinavia. The value of the deal was not …

1. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

I must review my insurance.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

mmmmm

We have had to deal with Wipro before as well !!!

Good choice.

2. MyffyW Silver badge

"cost reductions through advancements in technology."

Yes, well good luck with that one, hun.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Posting anonymously as they're my current support provider. They offer cost reductions by being cheap as hell. Things that our end users used to be quite happy doing (adding/removing people from distribution lists in Outlook?) now have to go through the full change request process (5 days) as they blanket blocked access as soon as they took over. Historically we've always had very few P1/P2 incidents as the local teams were on the ball. I get at least 1 a week now, which usually takes 4 or 5 days to resolve if it's a P2, but only 2 or 3 if it's a P1 so that's nice.

And we have over 50,000 staff and very healthy profit margins so it isn't like they could afford to keep a decent in house team or go to one of the better providers (and no, better is not Capita or Serco. Well, maybe they are, but that's not what I meant).

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Yes, Welcome to Wipro

It will be underbid and they will not understand what RSA are actually trying to do, but having said that some of the guys are quite good. (Some are NOT!)

3. Sir Runcible Spoon
    Joke

Pay peanuts..

“This partnership with Wipro will provide RSA with a secure, cost effective and agile infrastructure service"

HAhahahahahahahahahahahahahaha....rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrriiiiiip...bonk...

Talk about frying pan to fire.

4. Disgruntled of TW

Offer cost reductions by ...

... charging so little the bean counter can't resist. I have only had disappointing experiences with Wipro. I've gone back a couple of times, and met the same service levels. They only exist because bean counters look at price before service quality, and aren't held accountable when it all falls down. If we were better at measuring service levels, companies like Wipro would have a much harder time in a free market.

Right now, they're doing very well ... that's down to us repeatedly giving them work, which they do badly, but hey ... it's CHEAP!.

1. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken

Re: Offer cost reductions by ...

"If we were better at measuring service levels, companies like Wipro would have a much harder time in a free market."

This. A 1000 times this. Give me a weapon to take on the bean counters!

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Best of luck with that...

We have only two problems with Wipro and TCS, 1) Every time one of their staff learnt enough to be actually useful to us, they had learnt enough to be paid more by someone else, and 2) a task that would be expected to take three hours in house is now taking six days.

6. Mr Dogshit

Huh?

"a shift from Lotus Notes and Microsoft Exchange to Outlook and Yammer"

How does that work? Are they using Notes as the client to talk to Exchange?

Anyway, best not outsource your IT to a manufacturer of vegetable oils.

7. Alister

Wasn't it Wipro who were looking after Talk Talk?

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Service desks in This part of the world?

Probably fronted by 2-3 Indians who are paid less than the Minimum Wage. Everything else will brouted back to India where they are paid even less.

But as has been said, all the beancounters see is the reduction in £££££ to the business and not the levels of support given to the general users who have to suffer with Wipro's famed Six-Sigma processes.

i.e. it takes six times longer to do anything than before.

It look like I'll be taking my business elsewhere.

9. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken

What was the phrase again? Nobody ever got fired for replacing IBM with someone cheaper?

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Roll Up, Roll Up for the great new Show !

In my experience:

They'll turn up in really small cars that the doors fall off when they get out.

They constantly trip over near you and your'll get showered by very small pieces of paper.

And after 10 mins , nobody will ever smell that lovely flower in their lapel when an offer to sample the aroma if proffered - because they've seen what happens.

O, and all the staff who know your systems and infrastructure will be gone in less than 12 months. Best make that migration from Legacy system happens quickly ! Now if only our service provider didn't run their PMO from a treacle factory.

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Lost Notes

I wonder how much moving away from that shockingly bad Notes email client had to do with the decision?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Lost Notes

Nothing - they were always moving away from Notes whether they stayed with IBM or not.

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Good luck with that.......

“This partnership with Wipro will provide RSA with a secure, cost effective and agile infrastructure service upon which we can continue to support our business transformation.”

Some of the Wipro guys are very good, some definitely not, but I guess compared to IBM, things have to get better.

13. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The four words RSA employees are going to know well

"Please do the needful"

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like