back to article Walmart takes its DevOps platform and piles it high on GitHub

Walmart has delivered on low-price promise and taken a swipe at soon to be arch enemy – by serving its OneOps platform onto Github. The massive grocer – which owns Asda in the UK – promised last year that it would open source the platform, which it is pitching as a way to avoid cloud vendor lock in. It duly announced yesterday …

1. John 104

Funny

They should spend some of that time developing their awesome solution on fixing their US web site. it stinks.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

It's an interesting comparison that Amazon make revenue (if not profit!) out of their coding efforts ...

3. martinusher Silver badge

Not just a grocer...

Wal*Mart is more than a grocer. In the US its a universal store, a bit like the Carrefour chain on the continent, with outlets that are anything from a convenience store to most of a shopping mall. It was established in the bricks 'n mortar world well before online upstarts like Amazon showed what really could be done with on-line supplies and services.

As the article noted this is obviously a way to try to undermine a competitor since its recently dawned on people that the Amazon network infrastructure is much more valuable than the selling stuff part of the business. I'll still put my money on Amazon for the time being -- I don't think its vendor lock-in that users are concerned about, its a mix of reliability and affordability.

4. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken

So, Amazon is already gobbling up enough market share that Wal*Mart sees as theirs and fights back by open sourcing software. You couldn't make up stuff like that.

Anyway, if useful software is made availiable, it's a good thing.

5. Bill Cumming
    Coffee/keyboard

Woops

Looks like guthub has had a bit of a problem

https://status.github.com

Coincidence?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like