back to article Mozilla slings web push notifications into Firefox

Mozilla has bid farewell to RC4 encryption in the latest iteration of the Firefox browser. The release also uses a SHA-256 signing certificate for Windows builds, and enables push notifications from websites. Push notifications mean users can get an alert for updates to a site that isn't currently loaded in a tab. As the …

1. Justin Clift

The animation functions are actually pretty good

Trying out the animation functions now, using the new Dev build and their tutorial.

Surprisingly good. Can see an actual use for this stuff. :D

2. joed

Hasn't it been a plus

that FireFox would only refresh active tab (as opposed to chrome behavior)? No notifications, no bandwidth waste (and possibly security and privacy implications). But as long as the feature can be disabled (and enable per tab only) it'll be OK.

1. oiseau
      Flame

Re: Hasn't it been a plus

Hi:

> But as long as the feature can be disabled (and enable per tab only) it'll be OK.

Yeah, sure ...

Just have a seat and wait for it

Just like the supposed ability to disable automatic updates which does not work at all.

No matter how you delve into about:config I have found that (at least I) have not been able to find a way to keep Firefox from updating by itself.

And I don't like the feel of that.

In the 20+ years I have been working with IT and such, I've developed an inherent distrust for any application that does things I have especifically set not to be done.

Cheers.

1. arctic_haze
        Facepalm

> No matter how you delve into about:config I have found that (at least I) have not been able to find a way to keep Firefox from updating by itself.

Have you tried changing app.update.channel to something different, like null or fcuk?

PS. Actually "default" is strangely the right value for getting no updates.

1. oiseau
          Happy

Hi:

Actually, the 'default' value for the app.update.channel setting is 'release'.

I have just set it to 'null'.

Let's see how that goes, tried every other option I have found out there.

Thanks.

Cheers.

2. Fatman
        Joke

<quote>In the 20+ years I have been working with IT and such, I've developed an inherent distrust for any application that does things I have especifically set not to be done.</quote>

Then I bet you must enjoy working with Windows 10?

1. oiseau
          Linux

Hi:

> Then I bet you must enjoy working with Windows 10?

You are indeed, joking.

My last M$ OS was XP-SP3 and that only because I could not get any Linux distro to play nice with my oldish (ancient said some detractors) hardware. So I took the plunge, got me an unused Sun Ultra24, added a SAS card and a four surplus NIB IBM drives and am (very) happily using Mint 17.1. I only keep an XP on a netbook for doing my tax filing and some stuff I have not learnt to master/cannot do with Mint yet.

Cheers.

3. Oldgroaner

Stability

Crashed twice on Amazon last night.

1. Bibbit

Re: Stability

Without wishing to be judged (I use all OSs) but Firefox is still freezing on El Capitan and not allowing me to shut down the machine and has been for several FF versions with many people complaining about it, bugs filed etc.

As I need to sync across multiple devices I have very grudgingly had to switch to Chrome. Shame really.

1. Updraft102

Re: Stability

Bibbitt, have you tried the 64-bit edition of Firefox?

I had no end of crashing (often several a day) with Firefox until I switched to a 64-bit derivative (Pale Moon/Waterfox/Cyberfox are the common ones) as at that time, FF for Windows did not have a 64-bit edition. When the FF Windows 64-bit version hit the beta channel, I switched to that, and now I am using the release x64 version, which was finally released some months ago. If you are using Linux or Mac, the 64-bit edition has been available on your platform for some time.

For me, the Windows x64 version is rock stable. It just doesn't crash, no matter what I throw at it, and I have been using it for a long time now. I don't think I ever saw one of the betas crash! I don't know why Mozilla waited so long to release it, as every FF Win x64 beta I used was far more stable than any of the x86 releases I'd used.

It's unfortunate that the FF x86 version is so unstable (it has to to with running out of contiguous blocks of memory to allocate), but if you run a 64-bit OS and have yet to try the 64-bit FF, the solution may be at hand.

4. djswan

The dawn of a new marketing channel

As someone who was in marketing for mobile apps for many, many years - I'm particularly excited about these new web push notifications and the evolution of the "Progressive Web".

With Firefox's support, browser support for web push notifications on Desktop is around 80%! Mobile is still a bit behind, primarily due to the new web Push API spec not being supported on iOS Safari, which some estimate has around 50% of all mobile web traffic in the USA.

For those interested in getting started with web push notifications on their website, I'd recommend https://aimtell.com - makes implementation extremely easy.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: The dawn of a new marketing channel

Wonder what it'll mean if a full-compromise remote exploit is found in the code.

Not sure, but not likely to be good. ;)

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: The dawn of a new marketing channel

Great! Just what we needed, more ads.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like