back to article Hey Mac users, want to be unpaid guinea pigs for Microsoft? Sure you do

Microsoft is extending the Office Insider early build program to users running Office for Mac. The Redmond software giant said that under the Insider program, Office 2016 for Mac users with Office 365 consumer subscriptions will be able to opt in and receive automatic updates of the test builds of Office. Users running Insider …

1. Kernel

Or else!

"Office 2016 for Mac users with Office 365 consumer subscriptions will be able to opt in and receive automatic updates of the test builds of Office."

But if not enough of you do so then we'll take steps to ensure it does happen - ah, what the hell, we'll probably do that anyway in a couple of weeks.

2. Steve Davies 3 Silver badge

Office for Mac is a severely crippled release

as evidenced by this comparison

http://9to5mac.com/2016/01/21/windows-mac-ipad-microsoft-office-comparison/

I guess MS wants the RDF crowd to verify that they have stripped out all the useful bits before releasing it to the rest of the Fanbois?

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

They should just create a bare-bone version of ms office, for compatibility's sake when getting documents from the ms "fans" . As long as ms office is not integrated with the Mac ecosystem (continuity ) and it doesn't feel like it belongs on the mac/ipad, it just sucks - there is no love there. I stopped at the previous version and transitioned to pages/numbers/keynote, which are quite fine and support all little work hacks that improve my efficiency.

4. Bbbbit

Once bitten...

Many moons ago I bought the Office 2011 suite for Mac (I know, I know) because iWork was not cutting it and OpenOffice was all too ropy. The amount of Office tutorials I encountered which contained the lines "function not supported in Mac 2011 version". These days I would probably just plump for LibreOffice which has turned into a decent and polished package. Mac Office users must be a very rare breed these days, surely?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Mac Office users must be a very rare breed these days, surely?

Mac Office 2011 still does what I need, so I still use it. I can't think of a feature I need that would make me upgrade.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

I wish I could still buy it ..

OS X users can opt in using the Microsoft Auto Update (MAU) software.

Absolutely no way in hell will I allow recent MS code do anything "automatic".

2. razorfishsl

good luck with that, they will be making mods to close it down .....

notice how suddenly it is getting loads of updates?

5. razorfishsl

Microsoft... the only company to provide an office suite for home users WITHOUT an email client....

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like