back to article Brazilian whacks: as economy tanks, cyber-crooks samba

Brazil's economy may be hurtling towards recession but its online criminal underground is booming with wannabe hackers and carders racing to get a cut, research finds. Trend Micro's work is the latest in a series of papers it has published in recent months that examine regional online crime economies including North America, …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

That actually looks like $70 worth spending. As an insurance payment to stop them doing it me and mine; rather than intent to use it for naughtiness. With a read-only Tails install and through a proxy to turn up to lessons, of course.

1. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

@moiety

The problem is that it involves handing $70 to someone who professes to expertise in fraud. Or is there honour among theives?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: @moiety

Well it'd be risking $70 (assuming you used a one-time paypal account or similar) but that's not too painful amount to lose. I wouldn't be throwing a credit card in there though.

2. MyffyW Silver badge
    Linux

I thought this was an article on setting up a Linux File Server

Most disappointed :-(

3. Rafael 1
    Mushroom

Phising and spam are also increasing

I've noticed a huge recent increase in the amount of phishing attempts. It is funny because I get 5-10 similar messages in a day, often in a very short intervals.

Ironically, one I received recently stated that "the Federal Police (our Feds) obtained proof that you are breaking the law, click here for more details"... with a link to a weird site.

Some time ago the phishers used to explore out-of-country websites (lots of nasty payloads in small association web sites, BnB sites, etc.) Nowadays dozens of sites like www.gwrzx.com.br are registered daily, if you complain to the internet providers they do nothing. Combine that with a "oh, I got a message, must be important, this guy knows me, must reply" kind of mentality for a recipe for disaster.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like