Somethings Wrong at El Reg

This topic was created by Dewix .

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Somethings Wrong at El Reg

Just read an Andrew Orlowski's article ( http://www.theregister.co.uk/2016/01/12/wikimedia_dumps_elected_trustee/ ) which was his usual wiki hating tripe of incoherent rumours, innuendo and unrelated "facts".

More odd and disconcerting is the comments section. It seems slightly "Daily Mail", in that the commentators accept what is written as gospel, lack humour or critique and have a hint of "criminals" spittle added. Yes they've aways been there but there were also a lot more who counter such knee-jerk comments.

There also seems to be a pro-business (especially cloud), anti-GNU trend that's been ramping up over the last 2 years.

Your news used to be unbiased and fun to read, with a broad range of other commentators. Now I can't trust halve of your articles (cloud is amazing! Sales amazing for cloud!!) and the people I've enjoyed discussing views with seem to have gone or been censored.

Think it's time I looked for another news site.

1. diodesign (Written by Reg staff) Silver badge

Re: Somethings Wrong at El Reg

Cool story, bro.

C.

2. This post has been deleted by its author

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Somethings Wrong at El Reg

That's a shame, Dewix.

FYI we ban maybe four or five people for being abusive. We ban a few dozen spammers a month. I don't detect a growing anti-GNU bias.

4. diodesign (Written by Reg staff) Silver badge

Re: GNU

Given this site, its servers, its tech staff, and quite a few of its journalists rely daily if not hourly on GNU software, the suggestion we're anti-GNU is way off the mark.

C.

2. Marco Fontani

Hell, I've even hosted rms in my flat in Edinburgh… WTF "anti GNU"?!

3. This post has been deleted by its author

1. Marco Fontani

there exists a way to modify posts after the ten-minute edit period that I don't know about

Indeed, when a user unsubscribes we make all their past posts, including all by any of their past identities anonymous.

1. This post has been deleted by its author

4. jake Silver badge

Whatever.

ElReg's barn, ElReg's rules.

EOF

1. Anonymous Coward
        Alien

Re: Whatever.

"Hello Jake, how are you today?"

Still mental, it would seem.

1. jake Silver badge

Re: Whatever.

"Mental"? How old are you, Cowardly Anonytard? 13?

ElReg owns this place. They set the rules. This is not disputable. You have an issue with that simple fact? Can you possibly suggest why my pointingout that fact somehow makes me "mental", in coherent terms? Or do you just have a knee-jerk reaction to everything I post, like the rest of my fanbois?

5. This post has been deleted by its author

1. jake Silver badge

@ the batch file writer, AKA PFY

Uh, dude/tte, I only argue policy & procedure as it is instituted. After it's in place, it's ElReg's barn, so ElReg's rules apply. I have no issue with that. See:

http://forums.theregister.co.uk/forum/containing/344607

::prepares to be ACNE SPLATTERED::

6. jake Silver badge

"trademark dilution"

Trademark dilution? Really? In what jurisdiction did you file that trademark, PFY?

I think you actually mean "copyright", but I'm not using your copyright.

And you might want to look up the terms "Parody" and "Satire".

7. Known Hero
    Thumb Up

I LOVE this thread.

popcorn Icon please.

1. jake Silver badge

"To be honest, I think jake is a bit jealous of my computing abilities. I mean, his posts don't even include an icon."

Icons are for AOLers & their ilk. Always have been, always will be.

8. Baldy50

sʞɔoןןoq

¡noʎ ʇ,uǝɹɐ ʇoן ʎuunɟ

˙ʎɐʍɐ ʇɥbıɐɹʇs pǝʇɔǝظǝɹ ʇǝb pןnoʍ ʇsod ʇɐɥʇ ʇɥbnoɥʇ ı 'ǝsıɹdɹns ɐ sı sıɥʇ ¡ןןǝʍ

9. Jamie Jones Silver badge

Basically, the GNU/Linux fanboi mindset is that if a site isn't praising GNU/Linux 24/7, and dares to be impartial, then they must be biased.

Funny, I've heard MS fanbois say the same about anti-MS bias.

It reminds me of something some BBC big-wig said in reponse to a question about political bias at the BBC. Paraphrasing:

"In the same week, the right wing have accused us of having a left wing bias, and the left wing have accused us of having a right wing bias. That's when I know our objectivity is fine"

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

YouTube "Ad"

Got quite a shock reading one of the latest articles and seeing an ad for videos on YouTube that showed a certain anatomical part of an animal inside a human's.... No need for further details. I dared not take a screen shot. Somebody got around some filters out there in ad land.

Ack! Just saw it again reviewing my post. Videos are by "Animals Funny".

1. Matt@ElReg

Re: YouTube "Ad"

Hi AC.

Thank you for reporting this in.

Could I ask that you drop a quick email to webmaster@theregister.co.uk with a few details to help track this ad down? Ideally your geo, OS, browser, and where on the site you saw it.

Many Thanks

11. 123456789x

Since 2004 I've received by email every Friday a large sorted list news stories to look at. Very good it was too, as I didn't have to plough through stuff of no interest to me.

Today I see that you've changed it to a short unsorted list.

Goodbye.

12. paulnick2

I registered twice. On the First time registration i didnt get any activation email.... I think its a bug!

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon