The Register making life difficult for readers ...

This topic was created by oddjobz .

1. oddjobz

The Register making life difficult for readers ...

Seriously guys, I know you need to advertise, but do we really need FLASH ads on the site? I've just had to switch to Firefox because whatever is inserting itself at the top of the page is breaking the site to the extent that eventually Chrome pops up a message telling me that the page has stopped responding.

(together with the obligatory "Shockwave Flash has stopped responding")

5 mins later and I guess I'm getting a different Ad selection, and Chrome seems to be working again, but for around 5 mins I repeatedly loaded, reloaded, killed the tab etc etc and failed to get a working Register home page .. and I'm guessing that Ad is still out there somewhere in the ether just waiting to pay me another visit ...

Intrusive ads are one thing, but ads that prevent the side from displaying, whole other level ...

1. This post has been deleted by its author

1. oddjobz

Re: The Register making life difficult for readers ...

Yeah, Ok, I'll drop Flash support and break the functionality of 20 odd other sites I use that all require flash to provide the features I want, just so I can survive the advertising regime for one news site .. what a great idea!

2. Matt@ElReg

Re: The Register making life difficult for readers ...

@oddjobz Sorry about that - it's not obviously not our intention. If you could drop a quick email to webmaster@theregister.co.uk letting us know what country you're in, the OS, browser, and if possible a screenshot; we'll track down the offending ad and kill it.

2. Marco Fontani

To be perfectly honest, I've had click-to-play for flash since donkeys ago, and nothing has yet broke…

Just the odd frustration of having to right click and select "run flash content this time"…

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon