back to article FRITZ!Box home broadband routers' security FRITZed

The FRITZ!Box range of home broadband routers, popular in Germany and Australia, needs patching against a variety of remote code execution bugs. Germans RedTeam Pentesting turned up the bugs in model 3272, 7272, 3370/3390/3490, 7312/7412, 7320/7330 SL, 736x SL and 7490 devices. The vulnerabilities are present in all firmware …

1. big_D Silver badge

In Germany they are usually provided by the ISP. Mine had already pushed through an update for 6.30.

1. AMBxx Silver badge

I've been a FritzBox user for about 6 months. Originally on 6.20, I'd held off upgrading to 6.30 as router upgrades have a habit of wiping out all the settings that took so long to create. My router was set to automatically install security updates, but ignore everything else. For a month or so, it just sent me reminders to upgrade.

Fritz must have changed the upgrade to security update as it was installed automatically a few weeks back. All works fine.

Does sound like a non-story though.

2. chivo243 Silver badge

All good here

6.30 on mein! Usually on a Fritz! you can import your latest back up on the new Fritz! firmware.

3. ralphfcooke

I am the owner of one of the above routers, and unlike many other SOHO routers the FRITZ! is configured to auto update by default. This doesn't eliminate the risk but does reduce it considerably.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

More migitation

If you are getting your Fritz!Box from a more than half-decent ISP (I have one), they most likely will update the firmware for you at given time intervals. At the very least they will inform you new firmware is available.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Joke

Question

Is it true that any attempt to query a Fritzbox remotely gets the response “VE ASK ZE QVESTIONS!!!” ??

(Joke Alert)

1. dewi

Re: Question

Explain the joke ?!?

6. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken

Been using AVM equipment since, uh, the early 1990ies? A long time, anyway. IIRC, at one point way back when they had the only ISDN cards that actually worked... so I just kept on using their gear. Never has been 'on the Fritz' so far. Good gear, good documentation - can't say anything about their support as so far I have never needed it.

1. Oor Nonny-Muss

Used it once - not for actual support...

... rather to add to their FAQ. Had a reply in 15 minutes - followed by a phone call at an agreed time and my answer is in the FAQ.

I can't fault the devices or the support.

7. GrumpenKraut
    Coat

Fritz Witz Blitz

Ihr FRITZ!OS ist auf dem aktuellen Stand.

Jawoll! Marching off...

8. Dr Paul Taylor

notification

but since it's a home device, nearly nobody will ever hear about the fix

Nonsense. My box sends me emails, in particular when a new version of the firmware is available, so I have had 6.30 for ages now. No story.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon