back to article SanDisk offers super-slim terabyte SSD to tablet-pushers and other bulge-watchers

SanDisk has launched a super slim M.2 SSD at CES in Las Vegas, the 1TB X400. It stores up to 1TB and is 1.5mm high in its single-sided M.2 format, coming also as a 2.5-inch SSD. SanDisk says it's the world's thinnest 1TB M.2 drive and is suited for OEM needs with thin devices such as tablets. It's being called a "client" SSD …

1. Ketlan
    Devil

How much?

No prices (or guesstimates)?

2. Pen-y-gors

...in search of a problem?

Sounds like it will be a premium price for a premium product, but I've racking my brains, and I really can't think of any serious use cases that require 1TB of SSD in a tablet - possibly a few individuals in the film industry who need to store high-res copies of new movies to show to people at trade shows, but that's about it.

1TB of chunky SSD in my development laptop - now that would be nice!

1. Alistair
      Windows

Re: ...in search of a problem?

@ Pen-y-gors

1 TB SSD in a tablet? absolutely required - my 9 year old has already managed to fill a 256Gb SD card with apps on a tablet. Mind you that's more due to the "we're going to make it near impossible to hit the 'close this ad' button on our install some other game RIGHT now advert" attitude of the games app makers on android. And I can't believe the way some of these idiots are bundling their code up.

And, well - the micro atx board I'm looking at for the kodi units for the babble boxes has an M2 slot. Power savings! yup, will save us power, mmmhhmm.

2. Graham Jordan

At 1TB you're probably right. But if these pushed to 2/3/4 or higher they'd prove useful in a home NAS.

I'm running a HP ProLiant capped at three 3.25" bays and one 5.25" bay. With something like this I reckon I could fit 10+ in the 5.25" bay.

Obviously it wouldn't be cost effective, it'd be much easier to just buy a second NAS; but what a great idea.

3. banalyzer

They're just a little unimaginative.

Apple Mac laptops with one of these little sticks in anyone?

General PC type laptop no CD required, thin, light?

Then of course the 2.5" drive version.

Major boost for your file/application server, maybe an upgrade?

Depending on price a raid of them.

Replace the spinning combo 32GB SSD/1TB rust bucket in your own laptop ( my intention )

All the usual stuff just bigger, probably a lot pricier as well, but prices fall

4. d3vy

No use case? Maybe not in a tablet.. But my yoga pro uses an m2 ssd at the moment... The extra space would be extremely useful.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

YAWN

Yet another storage article on the 'newly revamped' El Reg.

Maybe the narcolepsy will kill all the readers who used to come here....

1. Gannettt

Re: YAWN

TOTALLY! I know things change, and just because I don't find it interesting doesn't mean it's bad, but this move to more enterprise-centric stories of late is pretty stealthy, and I would imagine I'm not the only reader with a more general interest in IT who spends less and less time on the site these days.

Come on El Reg - come clean and admit that there has been a change in editorial direction.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Come on El Reg - come clean and admit that there has been a change in editorial direction.

They did, a couple of days ago, albeit in a mealy mouthed manner. And they got a savaging in the comments. Unfortunately they give the Reg away for free, so there's no proper market dynamic, and they don't have to give us what we say we want (a bit like scumbag politicians). Or like Google. Maybe that's where they learned the behaviour?

"Another containerisation article, vicar?"

"No thank you my dear, that's most generous of you, but I've had my fucking fill."

1. Gannettt

Just read the article and comments. You're right.

4. pewpie

Not exactly in keeping with the low-cost aspect of the Raspberry Pi, but it sure would be nice to tuck one inside a case.. if for no other reason than just to piss everyone off.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon