back to article Cisco, HPE and Dell: Let's just say 'it's complicated' for now

With 2015 drawing to a close and 2016 about to begin it's time to reflect on the fact that the world never stops changing. The tech industry certainly changes constantly, and so here's one sysadmin's view of the industry's movers and shakers. In part one, I took a look at Amazon, Oracle and Microsoft. Here in part two I am …

1. This post has been deleted by its author

1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

"HPE's game plan will be to take someone else's software, put it on hardware made by a different someone else, test it to make sure it doesn't do anything strange, and then sell it at a premium."

If the first someone else does their own testing right then where's the added value? And if they didn't then either HPE doesn't sell it or it feeds back the problems so they get fixed for all customers so again, where's the added value? They could, of course, take multiple other pieces of S/W & test them together but unless they need to add some proprietary stuff to make the combo work where, again, is the added value?

1. a_yank_lurker

@Doctor Syntax - Cisco and Dell seem to grasp if they control the hardware and software they have full control of the device and its behavior. Both can sell an entire, branded package to a customer with complete end-to-end support. This is very similar to Apple, supply a complete working system including hardware to the customer. Good for overall profits because no one item must supply all the profit and with key bits done in house one it less likely to be hammered by vendor issues.

HPE seems to be going the route of a VAR when that may be a bad bet. Theoretically, they can supply the best in each class but how often does one need best in-class when second best often is more than adequate. I would also expect their pricing to higher than Cisco and Dell when one steps back and looks at the entire picture. Also, HPE would more at the mercy of their vendors both for pricing and delivery.

1. Matt Bryant Silver badge
        WTF?

Re: a_yank_lurker

".....Both can sell an entire, branded package to a customer with complete end-to-end support. This is very similar to Apple....." Yeah, now where did I recall another closed-garden vendor that liked to pretend to be the enterprise Apple? Oh, that's it - Sun! And that's didn't exactly work out too well, did it? Oracle have since bought the Sun hardware carcass and closed-garden disease and are busily bricking themselves away in a corner.

".....supply a complete working system including hardware to the customer....." Or, sell a number of options for either parts or the whole system, with testing and support for the integrated whole based on best practices developed in the labs. For those that don't understand the IT market, there are very few true "green field" opportunities where a company is willing to either start from scratch or throw away all they have already invested in and start with a clean slate, which is what the all-in-one approach really requires to reach the scales to generate enough profits. More often than not, you will see lots of enterprises with mixed platforms and lots of individually-budgeted projects running on top of them. If you believe that cloud has (supposedly) created the abstract platform layer, it begs the question why would anyone buy Dell or CISCO's all-in-one offerings? They are more likely to want either edge solutions or tech to sit on-top-of the cloud. HP already know this because they tried it in the early Noughties with their original converged offering (the "pre-cloud cloud"), which (IIRC) had an underwhelming three enterprises willing to tear out everything in their datacenters to go with the new model. Instead, hp broke the converged offering into modules and concentrated on offering as many (often competing) solutions from as many vendors as possible, all neatly integrated and supported and managed by hp software. HP's willingness to jump in bed with anyone, even avowed competitors, made us joke it was the "all-in-whore" approach!

".....HPE seems to be going the route of a VAR when that may be a bad bet....." Pretty much what Sun claimed. To pretend there is no innovation in the hardware and software HP sells is to try and ignore such market successes as HP's complete domination of blades. Dell really does need to diversify, they're doing a better job of it than CISCO (who look very vulnerable seeing as they seem to be still predominantly reliant on over-priced networking kit), but HP already has, and HP has done it without alienating any of their partners. How long Dell can do the same with VMware in the same boat is going to be interesting to watch.

".....I would also expect their pricing to higher than Cisco and Dell when one steps back and looks at the entire picture..... Why? After all, costs reduce with scale, and the reason Mike Dell could afford to buy Dell is because they have been losing market share for years. CISCO have not managed to diversify out of networking and their share of the server and storage markets is miniscule. Please do explain why HP's approach will somehow make them more expensive than either?

3. channel extended

Complete round...

Of musical chairs. I wonder when the music stops?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Complete round...

But does anyone really care?

Carly and her ilk killed HP's credibility. We use HP servers at the moment but Lenovo's offering is starting to look attractive.

HPE seems to be a solution looking for a question. They really don't have the calibre of staff anymore to do the sort of work they need to be a success. Outsourcing everything to India is not the answer.

1. Colin Bull 1

Carly and her Ilk ...

I would like to know the involvement of Intel in the shenanigans at Compaq / HP. I believe it was a conspiracy to kill competition to the Itanic stone dead and would not be surprised if Carly and her Ilk have a few 10s of millions of Intel shares to care for them in their old age.

Previous articles dwelled on MS history. How many years lead did the Alpha range have in 64 bit computing over MS and the also rans (at that time including Intel) ?

A Tru64 user in a previous life.

1. John Sanders
          Thumb Up

Re: Carly and her Ilk ...

Even Dell servers look attractive these days, at least you do not have HP hideous firware download policies.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Complete round...

Lenovo? Yikes.

I take it you don't concern yourself with fast deployment or server management.

If - however - you do, do yourself a favour and look at the latest from Dell. Cisco has done some great work in this space too.

Right now, I'd rank servers:

1. Dell (price, management, simplicity, speed, qualification, support)

2. Cisco (management, integration with networking, support)

3. HP (default standard)

4. Supermicro (price. They don't have anything else)

5. Lenovo

4. luis river

Forecast

HPE has big plans for the future, if their bets tech are a success, it will be the first company IT in the world, by year 2020, this time without going of acquisitions, but the devil is in the details and the plans may fail especially if the competition is ahead their forecasts in the release of products that are being developed in HPE labs.

Original

HPE tiene grandes planes de futuro, si sus apuestas tech son un éxito, volverá a ser la primera empresa IT del mundo, para año 2020, esta vez sin ir de adquisiciones, pero el demonio esta en los detalles y los planes pueden fallar sobre todo si la competencia se adelanta a sus previsiones en el lanzamiento de productos que se están desarrollando en HPE labs.

1. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

Re: Forecast

Once upon a time it might have been possible to believe all that but the HP of those days is a distant memory. Who's left in those labs after years of cutting staff?

1. Smoking Man

Quote:

"Who's left in those labs after years of cutting staff?"

Vice presidents talking to directors pretending to manage managers. That's about it.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

There's some pretty good R&D folks at HPE...server, storage, networking, and OpenStack all have strong portfolio updates in the last few years. There is also HP Labs. Discounting R&D at HPE is probably what they want you to believe.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

EMC's mission in life

I'll have to disagree with your statement:

"EMC's various sub components are very engineering-heavy organisations. Some of the best and brightest work there, and they work every single day to advance the state of the art in IT."

Their engineering is tasked with producing hideously convoluted products that require:

1. Lots of training classes (profit center) for customer staff.

2. At least an 80% engagement rate for reseller 'implementation projects' or EMC 'professional services'.

3. The vast majority of their products require additional EMC kit to be fully functional. Upsell opportunities at every turn.

This is very similar to the Oracle engineering/business model. Peons in the IT world don't complain since this drives up the salary of folks with EMC experience. But now your stuck with spending your IT life supporting really shoddy products ...

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: EMC's mission in life

I definitely agree EMC products are not anywhere near as easy to manage as their competitors. Compare an IBM DS8xx/XIV/SVC environment to an EMC VMAX/VNX/VPLEX one. There really is no comparison. Large scale migrations in the EMC environment will usually require LOTS of professional services, where the IBM environment is almost self-explanatory if you understand SAN and are willing to take a little time reading up on the technologies involved. No IBM professional services are required. In fact having been in many large datacenter environments I can't ever recall seeing an IBM resident, where in EMC environments they are commonplace. And EMC provides no performance or cost benefit over competitors.

2. Aitor 1

Re: EMC's mission in life

Add SAP to the list of "designed to be convoluted/mangled by design".

6. John Sanders
    Holmes

Seems to me that DELL

Understands the future of enterprise hardware lies on some kind of affordable moderately easy to set-up Mainframe-like server system.

For that one needs to control the hardware, the OS (VMware), the storage and probably large parts of the networking stack, so it all fits nicely together without infringing on IBM's.

I'm probably wrong.

Happy new year everyone!

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like