back to article Facepalm time: MS Office update wipes custom Word autotext

A Microsoft Office update has pranged customised copies of Word. The upgrade for Word version 16.0.6366 renames users' Normal.dotm file. This means a new and empty Normal.dotm is created when Word is restarted after the update is applied, giving people the impression their customizations have been lost. Complaints are landing …

Page:

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

All together now!

#MSFTBaaaad

1. Dan 55 Silver badge

Re: All together now!

Bad for firing their trustworthy computing group, yes.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Bad for firing their trustworthy computing group, yes.

Their trustworthy computing group had (as far as I can see) more to do with marketing than with anything that ever made it into production. For all the talent MS has hired, I have yet to see sense make its way into their products, which seems to suggest that the main reason MS hires talent is to deprive the competition of it.

Have seen the presentations they did to business, government and military, and I have seen what they eventually delivered. Even banks couldn't get away with that large a gap between the two.

2. Pompous Git Silver badge

#MSFTBaaaad

Shirley you meant to type "MS did this for your convenience..."

1. alisonken1
        Joke

And don't call me Shirley!

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Is Word 97 safe?

That's what I have on my windows 10 machine

1. Preston Munchensonton
      Coat

Re: Is Word 97 safe?

Is your Windows 10 machine disconnected from all networks? If so, your Word 97 is safe (for now.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

May I suggest, it's disappearing...

because you are deleting it, a thankyou.

4. kryptylomese
    1. caffeine addict

I think you'll find that's what they're doing/failing at the moment...

2. P. Lee
      Devil

> UAT?

That job has been outsourced to you.

5. Lee D Silver badge

Wonder if someone captured their MSI and forgot to remove their personal cruft from it... Because I can't think of a single reason why a Windows update would touch Normal.dotm deep in a user folder.

Once had something similar where I ran "discover" to create an MSI and left some temporary setup files in the downloads folder. Tested, it worked. Tested on other machines, it worked. Pushed out to a handful of users via group policy, it worked. Rolled it out - suddenly everyone was pushing a 100Mb setup executable back to their profiles...

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"Because I can't think of a single reason why a Windows update would touch Normal.dotm deep in a user folder."

Creating another W10 forced upgrade route to evade the published blocks?

1. Geoffrey W

How would doing this in a windows 10 security patch on a windows 10 machine help create a forced upgrade route to windows 10? Your logic amazes me, Grasshopper; Tell me more...

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"Grasshopper; Tell me more..."

Normal.dotm has the capability of executing VB macros when it is loaded. Therefore it is a potential vehicle for viruses. Whether it is technically possible for an MS update to effect such a change is open to debate. Given the way they have abused the update system recently to override user rejection of W10 upgrade functions - then I would not be surprised at any exploit they used to achieve their ends.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/291352

1. Geoffrey W

I think you're missing my point. The story is about a windows 10 security patch so there is no rejection of windows 10 involved. If this happened to you then you already have windows 10 installed.

Now, if this also happens to other versions of windows then your theory just *Might* have some vague possibilities, though as yet totally unproven, but until it does happen on a non windows 10 machine then its just making up shit.

And anyway, its about renaming the existing normal.dotm so that it reverts to the system default. How on earth is that an attack vector? Your logic still evades me.

7. Flywheel

"So far it seems to be copies of Word 2016"

Phew! Lucky it's still 2015 then. Thankfully my copy of edlin doesn't have such problems.

1. Robert Moore

EDLIN

> Thankfully my copy of edlin doesn't have such problems

That you know of. :)

2. herman

Edlin is for wussies. Ed is the standard.

About 30 years ago, I had to edit a file with ed and I'll never forget it.

1. jrd

Ah, good old ed - once learned, never forgotten. I still use it occasionally (in scripts).

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Bing back the Lotus 123 suite..

1. Amorous Cowherder
      Headmaster

Hold on there bub

Lotus 123 wasn't a suite, it was a single application. Lotus Symphony was a suite...well, of sorts.

The only problem you'll have with your copy of Lotus 123 is finding a floppy drive so you can enable the copy protection. 123 had copy protection on the floppy, you have "install" the copy protection from the floppy to the HD copy in order to run it. Then "deinstall" to put it back to the floppy. I had a little bit of a pocket money earner at college, ripping out copy protection from software that my fellow students wanted to share among themselves back in the late 1980s.

1. Pompous Git Silver badge

Re: Hold on there bub

The only problem you'll have with your copy of Lotus 123 is finding a floppy drive so you can enable the copy protection.

And hope you haven't run over the limit of five* installs.

* IIRC it was five.

2. Timbo

Re: Hold on there bub

"Lotus 123 wasn't a suite, it was a single application. "

I couldn't afford Lotus 1-2-3, so I ended up using "As-Easy-As", a shareware spreadsheet that could read/write various wk* files.

When, eventually, I got hold of 1-2-3, I found I still preferred A-E-A !!

Just my 2c :)

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

About 7 years ago...

I saw a Lotus 123 Suite floppy disc collection all boxed and pristine in a charity shop.

They wanted £50 for it though, so I passed it up.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: About 7 years ago...

That's an expensive door-stop.

9. hplasm
    Coat

Gone!

The last feeble excuse for using Word over OO or LO!

1. Geoffrey W

Re: Gone!

Look, I'm not a fan of MS Office and haven't used it for many a decade, but how does this glitch make you want to stop using it if you hadn't already reached that point? The story says it renames the file - Can't you just rename it back again or something? I dunno, maybe that's not possible and I have no way of knowing since I use neither windows 10 nor Office, but, FFS!

10. gollux
    Facepalm

Microsoft patch quality just keeps getting better over time! And now you don't have to worry whether they got applied or not, they will automatically be installed for you. All praise Microsoft for making computing a better and more efficient part of our lives!

11. Luke Leigh

If you don't like things that microsoft are doing perhaps you should watch this - https://youtu.be/u1kGMCfb2xw

Ignoring your privacy settings and turning your pc into a P2P server is even more devious!

Windows 10 is not free, it is stealing your data!

12. Leeroy

It's coming

I can see a time when we have most machines air gapped with just a few connected to 'the net' you know so you can Google the exploit or fix you were exposed to last week, month,year etc.

1. Stoneshop
      Trollface

Re: It's coming

I can see a time when we have most machines air gapped

Oh, good. We're running/we've run out of* IPV4 addresses anyway, so people keeping their stuff off the 'net should help.

* depending on what you read

13. nkuk

And Microsoft wonders why the adoption of Windows 10 is less than they hoped

Yet another in a long list of examples of why forced updates are a stupid idea, and why I'm avoiding Windows 10 like the plague.

The description of the KB is simply "This update offers improved functionality for Windows 10 Version 1511." Goodness knows what they're installing as "improved functionality" and what applications they are impacting. Lack of transparency has lost my trust in Windows Updates.

14. Steve Davies 3 Silver badge
    Joke

You will obey

Otherwise we will EXTERMINATE your customised files.

If I could have a coat icon as well as the joke one, the coat would have a sink plunger in the pocket.

15. CrosscutSaw

Cluster fakk

Everything about Win10 is crap from privacy to patching.

Why, MS, WHYYYYYY?

I have stopped recommending Win10 to any of my friends/clients.

I never thought I'd tell someone that if they want a MacBook they should get one instead. I've been doing that.

Wow.

1. Geoffrey W

Re: Cluster fakk

RE: "I never thought I'd tell someone that if they want a MacBook they should get one instead"

Huh? If they want a MacBook they should get a MacBook instead? Good advice.

1. CrosscutSaw

Re: Cluster fakk

LOL Geoff.. .that was a poorly written sentence on my part.

I meant when they were trying to decide between a pc or an Apple box.

I've always leaned towards PCs for my recommendations, but now leaning the other way.

My post was a cluster fakk too, but that's what I meant haha.

16. Cynic_999

Maybe ...

Maybe Microsoft is deliberately upsetting everyone who is marginally computer literate (such as being able to make custom initialisation scripts etc.) That way they'll all bugger off to a different OS, and Microsoft can have a field day conning the people who remain into buying expensive service contracts - because there will no longer be a neighbour/sibling/son who knows enough about Widows to assist them.

1. Mark 85

Re: Maybe ...

I think you might be onto something. Pretty soon, there won't be any critics left using Windows.. then what? Profit? Less headaches from the critics? MS running amok with all the data they've downloaded? It boggles the mind to think of what they might do.

1. Geoffrey W

@ mark 85

My minds boggling trying to work out if you're being serious. I think the trolls are now starting to troll themselves.

2. Pompous Git Silver badge
      Joke

there will no longer be a neighbour/sibling/son who knows enough about Widows to assist them.

Really? There are people out there who don't know that widows are women whose husbands have died? Bet they're all Merkins ;-)

1. Ken Moorhouse Silver badge

Re: Widows

I used to advocate protecting against Widows... orphans too...

Nowadays nobody seems to care anymore.

3. a_yank_lurker

@Cynic 999 - If so, I would say it is an incredibly stupid strategy when the unwashed masses really do not need a specific OS or application set. If the technically literate migrate to Linux for example, they can assist their family and friends in their migration. Would you trust family member who has been running Linux for about a year or so successfully when they suggest Linux?

My take is W10 will have poor market traction and in a couple of years there will a noticeable uptick to Linux/BSD/Apple as people evaluate their options and get advice from their informal IT department.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

'sall ready happening. I'm responsible for 4 newcomers (at their request, I hasten to add. I'm not evangelical about it, it's just that a sizable minority of the non-IT literate also seem to be dead upset with MS of late) to Penguin Territory in the last few months, as against only about 8 in total in the preceding 8 years.

17. Ken Moorhouse Silver badge

At last...

Training people on word processors I never really found an elegant way for users using Word to edit and overwrite NORMAL.DOT as it was in use at the time, and/or in a place that you had to remember to look for before you started the edit.

1. Pompous Git Silver badge

Re: At last...

I never really found an elegant way for users using Word to edit and overwrite NORMAL.DOT

One of the very few things they got right with Word 2010 and later.

https://support.office.com/en-ca/article/Change-the-Normal-template-Normal-dotm-06de294b-d216-47f6-ab77-ccb5166f98ea

18. pisquee

Nothing to do with Word, but after restarting from this update going on, my mobile broadband card (internal pci-e thing) no longer works. Uninstalling the update doesn't change things, and I didn't have system restore points set to roll back to - have to wait 'til back at base now to see if I can get it working again.

19. Neoc

Reset defaults

Don't know about the Word debacle - but the latest round of "updates" reset all my defaults to MS-preferred ones.

Again.

After people complained about it the last time they did an "update".

I think I'm going to set all of my 'net connections to "metered" and stop the updates altogether.

20. Kev99 Silver badge

I'm not surprised. Don't you now Microsoft knows far better than you puny users what you need and how you want to do things. How dare you try to usurp the Great & Mighty Oz.

21. Kev99 Silver badge

I'm not surprised. Don't you know Microsoft knows far better than you puny users what you need and how you want to do things. How dare you try to usurp the Great & Mighty Oz.

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like