back to article Dailymotion hit by malvertising attack as perpetrators ‘up their game'

Malicious adverts spreading malware managed to make their way onto popular French video streaming site Dailymotion. The infection involved a rogue ad and JavaScript that ultimately directs surfers to sites harbouring the Angler Exploit Kit (EK). The practical upshot was that Windows users running out-of-date software, such as …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"Nonetheless, the incident serves to illustrate the ongoing problems posed by the abuse of legitimate ad networks by cybercriminals."

->

"Nonetheless, the incident serves to illustrate the ongoing problems posed by ad networks"

FTFY

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"Nonetheless, the incident serves to illustrate the ongoing problems posed by ad networks, willing to take the money without doing any background checks of any sort"..

1. BillG
        Facepalm

Nonetheless, the incident serves to illustrate the ongoing problems posed by ad networks

I've gotta laugh at this - DailyMotion suspended my account, the reason they gave is that because I use an adblocker!!!

2. Bloakey1
      Unhappy

"Nonetheless, the incident serves to illustrate the ongoing problems posed by the abuse of legitimate ad networks by cybercriminals."

I am a bit uncomfortable with the illegitimate use of the word "legitimate " when referring to those bandwidth stealing, backdoor enabling, data stetaling advertising bastards.

Bastards can never be legitimate.

2. xj650t
    Mushroom

Oh look another Flash exploit

Uninstall Flash, check, run uBlock Origin, check, run AV software, check, regularly check for OS updates, check, cross fingers and hope for the best, check., and probably still get pawned, unlucky.

3. Joe Drunk
    Windows

Real Time Bidding needs regulating

Flash is 'click-to-play' along with all the usual ad-blocking countermeasures on my Windows systems. When I really want to view flash content I have a Linux box with Firefox/Flash enabled and user agent set to Windows XP.

4. Kraggy

Sadly another day, another malvertising attack .. simply one more reason to use AdBlock and NoScript in Firefox as the only sensible way to browse web sites these days.

And to those sites who demand I disable my blocker to use them .. I don't need you so I'll pass on the offer, thanks, until you stop using ad networks that don't protect me.

5. g e

Surely....

Ban Flash

Ban JS

On your ad network. Why would you not? Oh, cos money.

6. poodypoo

So not even a hack then? All the more reason to use adblock since they are not vetting their ads sufficiently well enough.

7. Joe Harrison

French video site eh

The one time when a rouge ad would have been more appropriate and somebody has to spell it correctly :(

1. captain veg Silver badge

Re: French video site eh

"French video streaming site Dailymotion",

Or, as I prefer to call it, "le crottin quotidien".

-A.

2. David 132 Silver badge
      Happy

Re: French video site eh

The one time when a rouge ad would have been more appropriate and somebody has to spell it correctly :(

Started to read your comment.

Prepared to write a snarky response berating yet another person for not knowing how to spell "rogue".

Finished reading your comment.

Well played, sir.

But honestly, the quick and simple way to fix this is to ban JS, Flash and HTML5 from all adverts. What does an advert need to do, apart from display an image?

"EAT FILBOID STUDGE. IT'S NECESSARY FOR YOU."

Of course, that wouldn't suit the advertisers, so it'll never happen.

8. Crisp

Malicious adverts?

That's all of them isn't it?

9. VinceH

And this, advertisers, is why your adverts are unlikely to appear on my screen. If you:

* Stop using Flash

* Stop using Javascript

Your adverts will appear here.

Though I will still ignore them.

10. Mark 85

So they tracked it back...

Did they ID the miscreants? Banking info or some such for billing? Seems that ad broker's due diligence isn't very diligent. The payment for the ads seems like a logical place to track these bits of human garbage down.

11. nil0

Defence

> In addition, Angler EK also fingerprints potential victims before launching its exploits to ensure the user is not a security researcher, honeypot or web crawler.

So, the obvious question is: how do we make ourselves look like a security researcher, honeypot or web crawler?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Defence

how do we make ourselves look like a security researcher, honeypot or web crawler?

Problem is that you then become the target for different malware, seeking to infiltrate those targets.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like