back to article Music lovers move to block Phil Collins' rebirth

Concerned music lovers are backing a petition aimed at preventing Phil Collins' musical rebirth. The former Genesis drummer and famed solo artist stepped out of the limelight in 2011, intending to spend more time with his family. However, he announced last month he was planning a new album. He told Rolling Stone: "I'm no …

Page:

1. Flakey

I'll Sign Anything

that will stop old people dancing to bad music

1. Tom 7

Re: I'll Sign Anything

I dont think you have yet had the pleasure of dad dancing in front of your 13 year old daughter and her friends.

Better than a chancellors snort of coke.

1. Richard Taylor 2
        Happy

Poor introduction to coke for your 13 year old daughter I suspect?

2. Ginolard

Dad of a soon to be 13-year old daughter here.

It's these little pleasures that allow me to put up with the raging she-devil that hides in her bedroom

2. Vector

@flakey Re: I'll Sign Anything

Just remember: Barring tragedy, you too will someday be old.

2. Trollslayer

Nice bit of cyber bullying.

1. Roq D. Kasba

Quite

I don't get what people have against musicians who are extremely successful at what they do?

Collins made a mint in his day by extremely popular, as did Dire Straits and Nickelback, etc. Their songs are exactly as good (or bad) as they day they were written, but the fact they sell a bunch of records seems to be a flag to some self-appointed judges that that makes them 'bad'. How fucking arrogant is that, to make malicious jokes to shore up their own insecurities.

Phil Collins - can take or leave him myself, but he was hugely popular, so clearly not 'bad' by any absolute, objective standard.

1. Killing Time

Re: Quite

Got to agree. its strange how popular musicians tends to be looked back upon with a certain ridicule yet bands which were not as popular at the time but with a substantial fanbase (e.g.The Clash, presumably that's your 'nod') are retrospectively held up as uber cool.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Collins made a mint in his day by extremely popular, as did Dire Straits and Nickelback, etc. Their songs are exactly as good (or bad)

You don't have to be either good or bad to be popular but it would seem that producing bland and unchallenging music generally helps.

Phil Collins = Popular.

Stravinsky = Not popular.

I know which I prefer and I can't help but feel that Igor would have had a bigger audience if Rite of Spring was played by a gorilla in a chocolate commercial.

1. K

There is no such thing as good or bad music, its purely a matter of personal taste!

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

Not true - here's how it works:

- Good music - stuff I like.

- Bad music - everything else (including stuff I haven't yet heard. If I've not heard it, it must be bad. Stands to reason).

2. Fungus Bob

"There is no such thing as good or bad music, its purely a matter of personal taste!"

Wrongo! "Puberty Love" is just, plain Bad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OsxwwhJ6GrY

1. Vector

"Puberty Love" is just, plain Bad.

Yes, but it saved the world! Which makes it good.

3. icetrout

just finished enduring this crapster called "2 Chains" my ears have permanently blocked themselfs...

2. SimonX

Well it was used for some Disney dinosaurs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G3VqcTDf6l4

3. JLV

+1

Phil Collins - popular , good drummer

Peter Gabriel - creative

4. Eltonga
          FAIL

@Mahatma Coat Re: Quite

Try this one then:

Tchaikowski = Popular

Stravinsky = Not popular

Stravisnski vs. Phil Collins is an apples to oranges comparison.

3. tony72

You're a true SJW, aren't you? I think the likes of Phil Collins are rich enough and successful enough to be able to handle a few people who don't like their music taking a pop at them. If he doesn't have a thick skin by now, he can probably afford to buy one.

It's not about whether they are "bad" in any objective sense; art is subjective, and it's valid to express one's particular dislike for an artist on occasion (professional critics make a living in part from doing so). Personally I can only express profound indifference to Phil Collins, but there are artists for whom I'd find such a campaign pretty funny.

1. caffeine addict

"You're a true SJW, aren't you?"

And just like that, I dismissed the rest of your comment...

1. tony72

I imagine I'm feeling about as crushed as old Phil is right now.

2. Florida1920

"You're a true SJW, aren't you?"

I must have listened to too much Phil Collins back in the day. I had to DDG "SJW" first.

4. Nuff Said

Nazi Germany: "hugely popular, so clearly not 'bad' by any absolute, objective standard."

I call Godwin's Law BTW.

1. TheOtherHobbes

I don't think Nazi Germany was an art project.

1. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken

"I don't think Nazi Germany was an art project."

Well technically Hitler was a failed painter. At least he thought of himself as an artist. Which goes to show that you really should let anybody enroll in art schools/academies no matter what, just to be on the safe side. That's money well spend, IMO. Plus every now and then you'll get a good music group out of it (Beatles, Rolling Stones, Tuxedomoon, The Clash, to list some personal favourites.)

That being said, have an upvote.

Dictatorship, a World War and industrialised genocide haven't really a place in a discussion about Phil Collins, thats just disproportionate. Okay, +6/10 for advanced trolling, but -10^6/10 for lack of style.

2. Captain DaFt

"I don't think Nazi Germany was an art project."

Huh? Artist fails at painting, decides to turn reality into his vision of perfection through media manipulation.

How the Hell was that not an art project?

5. Lallabalalla

It's called Virtue Signalling

http://new.spectator.co.uk/2015/04/hating-the-daily-mail-is-a-substitute-for-doing-good/

1. Robert Carnegie Silver badge

Yes, how many besides me are taking the trouble to urinate on the Daily Mails at the news stand? Biology permitting.

Ideally I want it to be a movement, but that may not be practical.

6. john.w

It's not his first come back attempt. Backing band could do with a bit more practice though.

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CCUQtwIwAGoVChMIieKXv5D3yAIVhL4UCh3wIwty&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3D5Jmc6TZ5Guw&usg=AFQjCNEnQhtXkZXwgmwY4nrX9_QsG87f0w&bvm=bv.106379543,bs.1,d.ZWU

Sounds like a genuine act, not the normal publicity seeking crap

1. Vector

@john.w Re: Quite

Downvote for posting the crap google search URL instead of taking the extra 3 seconds to get the youtube link.

2. illiad

next time **actually*** go to youtube, and post a GOOD link....

7. LionelB Silver badge

Phil Collins - can take or leave him myself, but he was hugely popular, so clearly not 'bad' by any absolute, objective standard.

I've just tried replacing "Phil Collins" in that sentence with "Black Lace", or "Renee and Renato", or "Keith Harris & Orville", or "Chris de Burgh", or <ulp> have to run...

8. Desidero

Oh please, Phil Collins stepped out from behind the drumseat of a rather talented band, for a while filled Peter Gabriel's vocal and writing boots quite admirably, and then lost it on Motown re-tread, schlock easy listening snoozers, and bouncy annoying junk that would make Billy Joel cringe. He was like a little boy, glurging over his over-excited pre-pubescent tastes with no self-restraint. I had a girlfriend at the time who wanted me to appreciate his sensitive side. Instead I grabbed my backpack and hit the road. 30 years later, you should too - just move on. As for the UN peacekeepers put in place to keep him in retirement, I suggest hazardous duty pay.

1. jeffdyer

<quote>I had a girlfriend at the time</quote>

I find that hard to believe.

1. Desidero

Okay, I had *your* girlfriend for a time. More believable?

9. Lodgie

Spot on analysis. Each to their own.

10. Scott 53

...or maybe it won't

For the best analysis I've read, read "American Psycho". TLDR: Under Phil Collins, Genesis became much more satisfying but in a far more limited way.

11. Saigua

Too Popular Compared To Conscription Of DRC Girls To Interdict

So let him feel the fully armed and operational might of musical democracy, is what you're saying?

.flac aside, do you think this could be more or less of a debacle than Dick Smiths?

2. VinceH

"Nice bit of cyber bullying."

It may have been intended as a joke, and it may well be fair to call it cyber bullying - but what's the real outcome? A nice bit of additional publicity for his comeback.

3. Jaybus

As Oscar Wilde pointed out, "The only thing worse than being talked about is not being talked about."

3. Jagged

Not my music but ...

... better than most of the shite that hits the charts today.

*there should be an official "old fart" icon*

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Not my music but ...

... better than most of the shite that hits the charts today.

Indeed, mostly inspired by the looping of 3 notes with shit talking over it, similar to Status Quo

2. Anonymous Coward
      Windows

*there should be an official "old fart" icon*

ain't this it? ----->

1. astrax

Actually, that pic is the progenitor of an old fart; an old bum.

3. Michael H.F. Wilkinson Silver badge

I remember Alexei Sayle stating German scientists had discovered the gene that turns you off pop music at the precise age of 37.5

Still like some modern music, but I do sound more like me mum these days

1. Yugguy

I was never on pop music even as a kid, especially once I discovered punk, metal, disco, soul, blues.

4. Voland's right hand Silver badge

Am I reading the mash?

For a moment, I thought I am reading The Daily Mash. Good one anyway.

1. MrT

It's a land of confusion...

...even in the invisible touch of space Scott Kelly seems to be turning into a Phil lookie-likee.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: It's a land of confusion...

I Don't Wanna Know

5. Elmer Phud

Gated reverb is luvverly (especially with a bit of reverse)

Akchewally -- on the Live Aid do Collons proved that his old skills of a session drummer had not been forgotten. He was bloody good on the day - bloody good as Genesis drummer, too.

The 1980's was not a kind decade to most people - a quick look at 'Challenge' TV and 'Wheel of Fortune' reveals skinny people in shoulderpads that these days would need planning permission or motorcycle outriders to warn oncoming traffic.

1. Dave 126 Silver badge

Re: Gated reverb is luvverly (especially with a bit of reverse)

>The 1980's was not a kind decade to most people

Yep, even Miles Davis had a 1980s album with a drum machine. There was just something pervasive about that '80s' production sound.

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like