back to article Windows 10 growth stalls during October

If it's the first Monday of the month, then it's time for our monthly look at desktop operating system market share data from StatCounter and Netmarketshare. This month the news is mixed for the main player, Microsoft, because while Windows 10's market share is growing its rate of growth is slowing. StatCounter has Redmond's …

Page:

1. Your alien overlord - fear me

Strange how those figures seem to total 90%. To embarressed to mention Linux?

1. Kristian Walsh Silver badge

Nope. This is usage-weighted share, so Linux isn't in the running at all.

Here's StatCounter's September 2015 list for all platforms (desktop & mobile). Note also how small the mobile OSes shares are when set beside their desktop rivals (as most interaction with web-based services is via apps, not the browser)...

46.98 Windows 7

12.41 Windows 8.1

8.55 Windows XP

7.87 OS X, all releases

6.97 Windows 10

5.72 iOS, all releases

2.97 Windows 8.0

2.68 Android, all releases

1.77 Unknown OS

1.69 Windows Vista

1.58 Linux

0.37 Chrome OS

0.09 Windows 2003

0.09 Playstation

0.07 Windows 8.1 RT

0.07 Windows 98

0.04 Xbox

0.02 Win2000

0.01 Nintendo

0.01 BlackBerry OS

0.01 Windows CE

0.02 Other

(source http://gs.statcounter.com - choose your dataset, and click "download CSV")

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Oh dear another muppet Windows fanboy that doesn't realise the rest of the World has moved on from the 1990's desktop. Fact, Linux based OS's are the most installed on the Planet.

1. Sir Runcible Spoon
        Linux

Sir

Whilst I have been a fan of Linux over the years (and have watched it grow to maturity with some satisfaction) I haven't really used it as a home OS apart from the odd media center and single purpose device (NAS/router/firewall that sort of thing).

However, I was recently required to build my wife a new PC as her old XP machine was finally dying a death (she wouldn't let me upgrade it in the past due to my apparent inability to keep all her files, but that's another story).

Due to her predilection for RTS games (Age of Empires/Mythology type stuff) I decided to build her PC with one of my NUC's and a spare Vista licence I had kicking around. Well, I had so much trouble with Vista (turns out to be the only version of Windows that Age of Mythology doesn't like and it was downloading updates for bloody ages - nearly 200 of the fuckers) I decided to go with a flavour of Linux since I didn't want the hassle of a more recent version of Windows and all that upgrade to 10 bollocks - so I bit the bullet and made the effort to get the games working under Wine.

Well, did all that over the weekend, installed Linux Mint 17 and got the games running under Wine no problem at all - bit of a learning curve, but all re-usable info so it's all good.

When the NUC was started up after the initial build I actually thought I had missed some important stages out though, the desktop appears in around 5-10 seconds (and I haven't optimised the boot sequence in BIOS yet either). There also appears to be a complete lack of a 'still busy' circle with the mouse pointer when it starts up as well - it's almost as if it's immediately useful.

Very odd, so I thought I'd test it and run the game under Wine as soon as the screen appeared. Bam, it's just there. Admittedly this is all now on an SSD as well, but even so, it's like magic.

So, I still have a couple of laptops that run Windows7 and another NUC waiting for an OS - they are going to be built with Linux. Fuck windows...forever...goodbye...good riddance.

It was a *lot* more hassle building a windows machine than it was a Linux machine, and it plays games too. It's a lot faster to boot, is immediately useable, and appears to make better use of the hardware resources. Oh, and it was free (as in totally, no strings attached).

The line has been crossed, it's now just a question of how long it takes for Joe public and business to twig.

The more people use it, and switch over and discover how much easier it is these days, and how good the drivers are etc. the more publishers will program for it, the more attractive it will be. I know most people don't do the research thing, and it took me all of about 20 minutes to decide which flavour (and which topping) I wanted or would be most suitable for my needs, but how many people know that about Windows?

I feel like a weight has been lifted off me, it must be all those $$$$$$'s that M$ won't get their grubby little mitts on anymore.

Consider me converted.

1. Paul Crawford Silver badge

Re: Sir

Similar to my experiences in recent years, Linux installs with less pain than a typical machine without the correct pre-configured Windows OME image to install from (which users almost never saved when they had the chance). Less dicking around with updates as well.

And yes, I have suffered the exasperation of re-installing Vista to help a friend and it was crushingly slow to get and apply updates. After 3 hours I went home and told him to reboot it in the morning.

To be fair, installing an enterprise copy of Win 7 on recent hardware was no major trouble, but still slower than typical Linux install and try as I might, I could not get it to go from a USB stick. So it had to be a DVD written and temporary DVD reader to get it to boot and then install 7.

Maybe Win 10 has solved the USB boot and install process? Perhaps I shall never know care...

2. Pompous Git Silver badge
          Happy

Re: Sir

"Consider me converted."

Ditto... Have an upvote!

2. Bob Vistakin
    Facepalm

8 was worse than Vista, but is 10 worse than 8 for a different reason?

Two words: Forced "updates".

3. Tromos

Obvious innit?

Of course people are hanging on to XP. It saves having to deal with the dreaded GWX.

1. Stuart 22

Re: Obvious innit?

Just back from a Powerpoint Presentation on a big screen that began with the boot up sequence. Yep, XP. I see it often XP in our local GP practice - connected to my medical records.

My problem with it is now such an open hackfest vector for recruitment into bots and stuff. Hence every connected XP machine not paying the MS penalty tax is a deadly danger to the rest of us who have the sense to use a supported OS whatever the flavour.

Maybe H&S should close them all down?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Obvious innit?

"My problem with it is now such an open hackfest vector for recruitment into bots and stuff."

Don't know why you're worried about that, the Govt will sell you the patient data if you want it.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Obvious innit? @Stuart 22

I assume you drive the very latest car, because failing to do so makes you an accident waiting to happen...

So far this year every single machine, I've had to rebuild due to the destructive effects of malware has been a Win7 or 8 machine, even though the number of XP users I support out numbers Win7 and Win8. The last time I had to deal with malware on XP was in 2009...

4. Anonymous Coward
    Windows

Plenty more to come

"Fall Update" to Windows 10 will ship around Nov 10, which will be the catalyst for peeps who always wait for SP1 and the sales of new kit with Windows 10 installed may nudge-upwards after Thanksgiving/Black Friday.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Plenty more to come

Eadon, have you been bribed to turn ?

2. bobgameon

Re: Plenty more to come

I don't think the fall update is going to be much help with these numbers. I expect big jumps when

a) Edge gets extension support.

b) They finally fix the one drive sync client.

c) When the one year free upgrade program is about to run out.

I for one upgraded to 10 on july 29th but have told everyone around me to wait till june 2016.

5. Arctic fox
    WTF?

" Folks using that venerable OS to cruise the web"

People still have XP facing the net? See icon.

1. frank ly

Re: " Folks using that venerable OS to cruise the web"

I was very happy using XP for many years. It did everything I needed it to do and it did it quckly and quietly without fuss on my old laptop. I can understand why some people like to keep it going though I realise that it no longer gets security updates. I do remember that just before Win 7 was released, XP got a load of updates that made it really, really slow and so I felt that I 'had to' move on to Win 7 on a newer cheap laptop.

Maybe the people still running XP blocked out all updates except for security updates and run it in a cautious and technically/security aware manner?

(I avoided any further Windows 'upgrade' experiences.)

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

>People still have XP facing the net?

So you're running XP with firefox. You probably don't download and install stuff, otherwise you'd have done so for your OS.

What has changed since the days when XP was supported?

1. Naselus

"What has changed since the days when XP was supported?"

Quite a lot, if you're talking security. That's how arms races tend to work.

2. Paul Crawford Silver badge

Re: "What has changed since the days when XP was supported?"

A few un-patched nasties such as the kernel font-rendering and similar. They don't need any real interaction to do your machine in.

There are lots of good reasons to keep XP machines going, but internet access ain't one of them!

6. GregC

Interested to see how this turns out...

This should be interesting over the next few months. MS seem to be getting increasingly desperate to shovel W10 out by any means necessary. I'm really curious to see how many of us there actually are saying a firm 'no' to it - sitting in my little bubble of like minded techie types, my view of what's happening out there is probably a bit skewed.

And yeah, wouldn't hurt to know the Linux share too.

1. Tim Ryan

Re: Interested to see how this turns out...

Nonsense, while I don't agree with the upgrade method, 10 is the best Windows ever. I moved my hardware over to 10 a year ago and even the ctp versions were an improvement on 8.1

2. Ye Gads

Linux is at 1.55%. This puts it behind Windows Vista (2.46%) and "Other" (2.8%).

This is from StatCounter and is their September 2015 numbers.

1. alain williams Silver badge

Partly because Linux is not counted properly. A week ago I bought a new laptop, it came with Windows 8.1 installed; I immediately upgraded it to Linux Mint - but it will be counted in the statistics as another MS Windows 8.1 installation.

I will be shortly replacing MS WIndows XP on my sister's laptop with Linux Mint, this will not be officially recorded.

Linux is under counted, by how much I cannot say.

1. Don Dumb
          Stop

@alain Williams - "Partly because Linux is not counted properly. A week ago I bought a new laptop, it came with Windows 8.1 installed; I immediately upgraded it to Linux Mint - but it will be counted in the statistics as another MS Windows 8.1 installation."

I don't think that's true, I beleive the stats are based on web usage, so if you didn't use 8.1 to access the web* but did use Mint then only Linux would be counted. The problem with these stats is that it can't count those machines not connected to the net. If anything that means WinXP (many manchines unplugged from the net) is most under represented.

* - or at least the site(s) that are used to collect the stats

1. GrumpenKraut

Another stats page (http://www.w3schools.com/browsers/browsers_os.asp) puts Linux at 5.6 % as of September 2015, figures for October should show up soon.

2. Richard Plinston

> I beleive the stats are based on web usage,

They are based on web usage of visiting particular self-selected sites which include javascript in some or all of their pages. It also requires that the client allows javascript to run as it is the client browser that sends the information directly to the collector.

If sites that are of interest to Windows users but not to Linux users predominate the sites that include the javascript then Linux will show low statistics. If javascript blockers are more often used by Linux users then Linux will have low statistics.

I doubt that any of my Linux machines are ever recorded at all.

3. inmypjs Silver badge

"MS seem to be getting increasingly desperate to shovel W10 out by any means necessary"

Yes, because the sooner they decide they have got as many by the balls as they are going to, the sooner they can start squeezing.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Headmaster

A pedant writes...

The definition of 'stall' is to stop or cause to stop making progress. Windows 10 still making progress, so 'slows' is actually the correct term. See teacher.

1. chivo243 Silver badge
      Coat

Re: A pedant writes...

When an airplane stalls, it still makes some progress, until it stops, or un-stalls

yes, yes, my coat...

1. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken

It doesn't stop as such, it starts to progress along the vertical axis only...

1. Vic

Since we're doing pedantry, ...

It doesn't stop as such, it starts to progress along the vertical axis only

That's not entirely true; what happens is that the wings stop producing life and start producing drag. This doesn't mean you go straight down - certain aircraft[1] flutter down quite gently in a full stall. Some bite...

The pont is - you're likely still travelling (partly) horizontally, even when fully stalled.

Vic.

[1] Part of the BGA Glider Certificate, for example, requires demonstration of the "mushing stall", wherein the wings are stalled, but the ailerons and rudder still work. I didn't see the point, myself, but they required me to fly it.

1. hplasm
            Happy

"Since we're doing pedantry, ..."

Famous last words... "...the wings stop producing life..."

I'm sure there's a word for this.

1. Vic

I'm sure there's a word for this.

"Typo" was the original word, but I figured it wasn't worth correcting, what with the extra meaning :-)

Vic.

2. Richard Plinston

> That's not entirely true; what happens is that the wings stop producing life and start producing drag. This doesn't mean you go straight down - certain aircraft[1] flutter down quite gently in a full stall. Some bite...

s/life/lift/

No, the wings do not _stop_ producing lift. They, most often, continue producing lift (as indicated by 'flutter') but produce less than required for sustained flight.

No, they do not _start_ producing drag. They produce drag all the time they move through the air. They produce a much increased lift/drag ratio.

1. Vic

No, they do not _start_ producing drag. They produce drag all the time they move through the air. They produce a much increased lift/drag ratio.

There's some drag in unstalled flight. There is a lot more drag once the wing has stalled[1]. It's not just lift/drag; the amount of drag increases sharply once the wing has stalled[2].

Vic.

[1] You can see a typical drag curve here. Note how the drag coefficient rises sharply as the AoA goes through the stall point.

[2] It's a big part of why a developed spin is self-sustaining; the stalled inner wing is much more draggy than the outer wing, leading to yaw, meaning that the inner wing has a higher AoA than the outer, meaning that it is more deeply stalled than the outer (which probably isn't stalled), meaning it is more draggy, ...

3. PNGuinn
            Coat

"wings stop producing life"

Shouldn't that be "wings stop sustaining life"?

1. Vic

Shouldn't that be "wings stop sustaining life"?

No, it should have been "wings stop producing lift", but I'd missed the edit window by the time I noticed.

Stalling an aircraft is only dangerous when you're very close to the ground...

Vic.

1. Pompous Git Silver badge

"Stalling an aircraft is only dangerous when you're very close to the ground..."

There ya go, and I thought it was only dangerous when the aircraft hits the ground :-)

As the guy who jumped off the Empire State Building said as he passed the 13th floor: "So far, so good!"

2. Richard Plinston

> Stalling an aircraft is only dangerous when you're very close to the ground...

Not necessarily true. Or, more to the point, higher altitude does not make stalling 'safe'.

For example some high-tailed aircraft (such as the Gloster Javelin), when stalled, can enter a super-stall where the tailplane is blanketed and there is no ability to alter pitch leading to an inability to recover regardless of height.

1. Vic

For example some high-tailed aircraft (such as the Gloster Javelin), when stalled, can enter a super-stall where the tailplane is blanketed and there is no ability to alter pitch leading to an inability to recover regardless of height.

The Javelin is certainly a tricky aircraft.

The Pilot Notes give the recommended recovery method: use aileron roll to induce a spin, and then recover from the spin in the usual manner.

I'll dig out a copy next time I'm at he museum and post the official text.

Vic.

1. Vic

I'll dig out a copy next time I'm at he museum

Well, I've not got the pilot notes yet, but I did check this with my CFI[1]. Apparently, "it's another crap bloody aeroplane", but when pressed for more detail, "you roll it and put in full throttle, and see what happens".

I don't think he likes it...

Vic.

[1] I won't name-drop, but he is a fairly well-known test pilot.

2. Kristian Walsh Silver badge

The aeroplane doesn't "stall"; its engine does.

1. Kubla Cant

The aeroplane doesn't "stall"; its engine does.

Wrong.

"A stall is a condition in aerodynamics and aviation wherein the angle of attack increases beyond a certain point such that the lift begins to decrease." [Wikipedia, I'm afraid]

Stalling of an engine is a different phenomenon entirely.

1. Kristian Walsh Silver badge

Learn something new every day. Thanks.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Who here has these sites blocked?

come on now it won't hurt to tell...

IMHO, anyone with half a brain (viz 99.99% of the readers here) will block these sutes as a matter of course.

So how accurate are these stats? Guesses on a pin head anyone?

1. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken

Re: Who here has these sites blocked?

Angels, head of a pin...

Unless you know exactly how the data was gathered and processed (will it blend?) any statistic is usually worthless/meaningless.

1. Pascal Monett Silver badge

Re: any statistic is usually worthless/meaningless

When your stats are based on millions of unique connections, although they may not be perfect, there still can be meaning inferred from them.

In this case, we can argue about exactly how much the slowing is, but apparently, that there is a slowing is not in doubt.

2. bobgameon

While i do agree most of the readers here might have these websites blocked but all the readers here represent around 0.00001% of the PC market. And such a small percentage can be chalked up to statistical errors.

1. Richard Plinston

> might have these websites blocked

It is not just whether users have the sites blocked, it is also whether particular groups of users visit particular self-selected sites.

It may be that the majority of the sites that include statistics gathering javascript are of no, or little, interest to, say, Linux users. Conversely, sites that are of interest to that group may not have this implanted code. I see no evidence that this site has any visits recorded in the statistics.

9. hfo1

OSX

Interesting how the OSX numbers are so different, not only absolute numbers but also trends. I can see how a different methodology might produce a different overall number but one set rising and the other going down?

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like