back to article Get 'em out for the... readers: The Sun scraps its online paywall

Rupert Murdoch's flagship British tabloid, The Sun, is to abandon its paywall in search of greater web traffic as it seeks to compete with big online news hitters such as the Daily Mail. According to the Guardian, the move was set to be officially announced on Friday and implemented by the end of November. Back in July 2013, …

Page:

1. Blank-Reg
    Facepalm

As has been often commented on this esteemed organ, unless your content is either:

a) Original

b) Compelling

c) Humourous

then readers aren't going to fork out for a subscription. Especially to the Sun which is, essentially, little more than a comic and is none of the above.

1. dogged

All of which makes it disappointing that I still can't read Private Eye (with a subscription) online.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

disappointing that I still can't read Private Eye (with a subscription) online.

I thought the physical presentation of Eye was part of the core proposition. Like you, I am a man of high literature, although my preference is Viz. That too suffers from the same challenge of the paper copy being the real McCoy, and the screen version not quite making the grade.

1. dogged

> I thought the physical presentation of Eye was part of the core proposition.

Indeed but I don't subscribe because I move around a lot (contracting) so it would be nice to be able to catch up on what I've missed online.

Anyway, the medium is a challenge for a designer. Not me, I don't do design. But a designer. A good one, preferably.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

On a side note, the BBC is running this story and it links to an article reporting it in the FT, which by hilarious irony is itself behind a paywall so you can't read it.

BBC story

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-34679817

FT link

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/dbc792ee-7efc-11e5-98fb-5a6d4728f74e.html#axzz3q3tfyRCp

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Its scandalous!

Scandalous indeed that not enough people are willing to pay for their own brainwashing!

I mean, they pay to have their hair washed too, no?

they willingly pay for all sorts of minor services...

But getting their brain washed isn't worth some cash to them?

Poor mainstream media. I guess you'll need to go asking for money at your annual Bilderberger meeting. No worries, they're extremely well financed and they rely on you distorting everything and keeping people's minds on one fool's errand after another.

1. P. Lee

Re: Its scandalous!

Reduced supply is what happens when you invoice your suppliers to deliver to your warehouse.

Is there third-party advertising? Then you are not the customer.

In the physical realm I suspect prices work because you don't go out to buy the Sun, you get a pack of cigarettes and it almost comes free with them.

As for the proxy-log popularity of the Mail, could it be due to their infinite length webpages skewing the results?

4. jonathanb Silver badge

The main criteria is whether or not you can claim the subscription on company expenses. That is why the Financial Times's paywall works.

2. Wupspups
    Joke

My mum told me "Never look at the Sun!"

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

You won't go blind, just end up with hairy palms and a 75% drop in IQ.

3. Magnus_Pym

Woop-de-do

Could give a toss about that rag I just hope it doesn't mean that Murdock will laying some cash on Google et al to promote his drivel organ in the result rankings in a pathetic attempt to drive traffic back.

1. Lamont Cranston

Re: Woop-de-do

No one reading at a grown-up level gives a toss about The Sun. That such a significant brand is having to climb out from behind its paywall is interesting, however.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Woop-de-do

No one reading at a grown-up level gives a toss about The Sun

That's actually the one thing they could care about.

(badum tisssh etc)

4. Anonymous Coward
    Devil

News UK management

Just a bunch of tits.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Trollface

Fans of the racy Page 3 feature will probably be disappointed to learn that Lucy from Daventry and her skimpily clad pals will be placed on an entirely separate website. In the interests of accurate reporting, your correspondent visited said website...

Pics or it didn't happen

B-)

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

(.)(.)

"(The post is required, and must contain letters.)" Indeed, it does now.

1. Anonymous Coward
  6. simonb_london

Nationalise it

Just nationalise News International in the UK. That'll fix Murdock. Or at least the prospect will make him panic...

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Seem to remember Murdoch's real gripe was that with the BBC providing so much internet news content for free that his rag couldn't compete.

I guess he thinks its going to be OK now that he has successfully paid the Tory party enough to castrate the BBC...

I noticed though a little while back that my proxy logs showed quite a change in the most popular news website and that now the Daily Mail website is by far the most hit from our large organisation.... It surprised me somewhat and since then I have been rather concerned about the obvious brain drain going on here as everyone sups from the fountain of the Daily Heil.

Then again, looking at the state of the company, it figures...

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"....as everyone sups from the fountain of the Daily Heil."

We reached out (#) to the Daily Fail for their response to this alleged slight on their character. Their spokesman- a Mr H Harmsworth- responded "Hurrah for the blackshirts!" (##)

(#) Can anyone please explain why this horrid PR-esque phrase seems to be replacing "contacted" or "attempted to contact" in everyday use? I've seen people- rather unconvincingly- try to argue that it's not exactly the same thing, but it just sounds like fake-touchy-feely BS to me. Understandable coming from PR weasels, less so from supposedly impartial journalists.

(##) Yeah, I know, don't care... "The Daily Express was worse" isn't saying much ;-P

1. Quortney Fortensplibe

Reached Out

Glad it's not just me. Every time I see that phrase I feel like 'reaching out' and punching whoever wrote it in the face.

[But I'm reaching out to you with an upvote]

1. hplasm
          Coat

Re: Reached Out

Reminds me of the Depeche Mode hit - 'Reach out and Punch Face'

2. Blank-Reg
        Headmaster

Agreed. "Reached out to" sounds like it should form part of a complaint against a pervert whilst reporting them to the police.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Now if only people would wise up and stop subscribing to SKY maybe we can get sports* FTA again.

*I don't include football, it's great it is behind a paywall and off most screens.

9. Dalek Dave

The Daily Telegraph has a wall too, but it takes about 3 seconds to bypass it.

In fact I have a button so that when I hit the Article Limit, I push my button and Hey Presto...start over from scratch again.

Hopefully they will see the writing on the wall for paid for news.

1. Kevin Johnston

I think that is not so much a Wall as a Stile....looks like a fence but there is a simple two step process to get over it.

2. paulf
      Devil

There's not much worth paying for behind the Daily Hello-graph's pay-wind-break; unless you enjoy reading rehashed press releases peppered with a lack of Sub-editing that would make the Grauniad blush!

Pic - Murdoch.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Not really, even Mr H Crane wouldn't do a pun *this* crap...

@Dalek Dave; I think what you meant to say was

"Hopefully they will see the writing...."

(Puts on sunglasses)

"...on the paywall"

YEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!

4. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"The Daily Telegraph has a wall too, but it takes about 3 seconds to bypass it."

The DT subscription is now being touted for £12 rather than the previous £6. As long as the BBC, Independent, and Grauniad are not behind paywalls then the DT no longer has enough broadsheet gravitas to be worth coin of the realm.

Unfortunately the Independent has gone for a style change that crams a page full of pictures and article headers that is just too much. Looks and loads even worse than the re-styled Grauniad.

1. Primus Secundus Tertius

The DT is overloaded with ads, both staic and video. It is an insult that they expect us to pay for all that padding. If anything, the advertisers should be paying us!

1. 080

uBlock chops out most of the crap from the DT site, the slowest loading of any UK paper. But at least it works unlike their Tablet App. Still it's only £5 a month if you complain enough.

2. RegGuy1 Silver badge

DT -- age discrimination?

Well the DT is normally read by the over 75s.

Maybe the silver surfers are Internet savvy enough to pull out their wallets and pay the £12 ('hey, what's £12, we've never had it so good. My pension's going up at least 2.5% again'), but not tech savvy enough to understand how to get round it.

So I'd give the DT another 10 years or so before their cash-cow-audience dies off.

3. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

the Independent ........ Looks and loads even worse than the re-styled Grauniad.

That, Sir, is not possible. The Graun has degenerated into a sort of amateur-curated news aggregating blog (although I don't mind, if that's what they want to do with it).

The Indy is a far more painful loss. Remember at launch, it was a fresh voice, a broadsheet with gravitas and indeed an independent voice. Now it's just another shitty tabloid, owned by a Russian oligarch.

1. Chris Parsons

The Indy

Couldn't agree more, Ledswinger. It was once a fine paper, now largely drivel. I am occasionally amused by the paid Russian shills who promote Putin as a man of love and peace, but other than that, it's the Eye and the Economist from now on.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Facepalm

Free, but...

Probably still not many hits from the L postcode area!

1. paulf
      Devil

Re: Free, but...

Even less likely with Kelvin MacKenzie's recent column suggesting he become Lord Kelv of Anfield (at the end):

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/suncolumnists/6705355/Kelvin-Mackenzie-says-brave-Paul-Settle-who-forced-Tom-Watson-to-say-sorry-shouldnt-go-unnoticed.html

11. Frederic Bloggs

Statistics...

GCSE Statistics Paper Question

A "quality" newspaper recently asserted that: in 2013 another "newspaper" had 30 million audited users per month. But today, that "newspaper" now has 1 million readers per day.

Please tick one only one answer:

* The "newspaper" has 96% fewer readers today than in 2013.

* The "newspaper" has roughly the same number of readers per day.

* The "Grauniad" has a maths problem as well as all the others it's famous for.

1. DavCrav

Re: Statistics...

"The "Grauniad" has a maths problem as well as all the others it's famous for."

It isn't a particularly great bit of reporting on their part, but since the Sun is behind a paywall, we can be reasonably sure that the million people today are the same million people tomorrow. So the unique monthly visitors are going to be roughly a million. So the writing is terrible, but the point is largely accurate.

1. dogged

> the writing is terrible

Yes, it's the Grauniad.

1. Peter2 Silver badge

To be fair, the standard of writing & more importantly reporting in all newspapers is absurdly low compared to historical norms. Look at a historic newspaper from a hundred years ago and see the difference. It's profoundly shocking, and frankly I think that they all deserve to go out of business given how poor the reporting is.

1. Quortney Fortensplibe

Too true. I've lost count of the number of basic schoolboy English errors I've spotted in even the supposedly high-brow broadsheet newspapers; confusion between 'there', 'they're' and 'their', confusion between 'your' and 'you're', 'drawers' spelt as 'draws', 'brakes' spelt as 'breaks', greengrocers' apostrophes... and so on.

And that's before you even consider the mangled sentence structure, which often makes headlines read as jokes, or the fact that most journalists writing today [El Reg's included] seem unable to find the preference which sets their spell-checker language to UK English and, consequently, churn out prose in a mixture of American and UK English —often spelling the same word both ways, in the same paragraph.

1. Primus Secundus Tertius

Many stories appear to have been dictated into a "voice recgnition" system, with no subsequent checking by anyone who understands language.

2. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

Yes, but all newspapers have got rid of their sub-editors. So there is no one to double check their grandma.

1. Anonymous Coward
              Anonymous Coward

...or check their swelling.

3. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

"Look at a historic newspaper from a hundred years ago and see the difference."

Yeah, funny that. A 100 years ago newspapers were cheap and they had a huge staff, reporters all over the place, copy editors, sub editors, proof readers and a budget for proper investigative journalism. In some cases they made huge profits for their owners too. You'd almost think there was no competition for news reporting back then.

The point about spell checkers, language selection and grammar checkers is well taken though.

12. frank ly

Innacurate reporting

I just tried a text and image serach for "Lucy from Daventry" and El Reg is the only site that has a hit. So, how do I get to see the pictures? If this is one of the gold badge members only things, I shall cancel my subscription.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Innacurate reporting

Try same search for Lucy V (not sure if she is from Daventry or not (NSFW))

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Innacurate reporting

You need to search for "Kelly from Daventry" ... its not Lucy today...

/duck

13. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Lets hope they don't un-paywall The Times - it's the only newspaper where the comments are civil and informed, because the cost keeps the extremists out ( although lots of lefties seemed to infiltrate during the Labour leadership election and haven't left yet, but I'm sure they will eventually ).

1. x 7

but the Times IS a lefty newspaper

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon