back to article Brit mobile pay biz reveals historical cyber attacks, gets smacked in the share price

The share price of mobile payments business Optimal Payments has taken a banging after the company confessed it was only just beginning to investigate historical data breaches, following the discovery of its customers' data being trafficked online. The British company said that it had only come to know about the data breaches …

1. dogged
    WTF?

The British company said that it had only come to know about the data breaches due to media enquiries, although they had occurred several years ago.

Jesus fucking christ.

2. billse10

"Companies are not required to publicly admit to data breaches under the UK's Data Protection Act, "

They should be required to admit it to the data subjects ....

They should also be required to show they acted within the terms of the Supply of Goods and Services Act 82 S13 (" there is an implied term that the supplier will carry out the service with reasonable care and skill"), and if requested by a customer following a breach to provide evidence that they were using reasonable care and skill at the time ...

3. Your alien overlord - fear me

Wiseman and Harding - is it just me or do they sound like a 70's comedy duo?

4. MarkSitkowski

You're kidding, right?

Words almost fail me - apart from a few very short Anglo-Saxon ones.

a) What kind of a amateur outfit full of incompetents takes 'several years' to discover they've been hacked?

We expect to be informed of a hack attempt within 1 or 2 seconds - not years, seconds - of the attempt.

The fact that these idiots didn't learn about it for so long, is indicative of the fact that there was nothing there to do the warning.

Normally, I'd say fire everyone in security, but in this case, they also need to fire the 'manager' who approved their non-existent security setup.

b) Have they never heard of encryption? Even if you're as thick as two short planks, and know nothing about keeping the hackers out, at least make sure that what they steal is useless.

Can't believe that, in 2015, there are still companies around like this. I bet they also have rooms full of people with quill pens writing copperplate replies to customers.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like