back to article Netflix containerises its open source effort in Docker non-shocker

Video-streamer and junior filmed entertainment production house Netflix has updated its open source policies, with a notable change being a decision to release code pre-packaged in Docker's container formats. Netflix has released lots of its production code as open source, but now says those efforts were confusing some because …

1. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

Somewhat off topic but...

...I wish Netflix would piss off from Australia. Since they arrived it has caused nightmare congestion in the local backhaul. Between 4pm and 11pm I may as well not bother trying anything online. Even loading three pages from El Reg took several minutes just now and I'm increasingly seeing time out messages from CloudFlare who appear to be hosting this site.

I've even taken to disabling image loading in my browser but it's still frustratingly slow.

Probably just a coincidence but when people pirates films instead of using streaming services things weren't nearly as bad.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Somewhat off topic but...

I understand the frustration, but you're aiming at the wrong target here, surely? I'm sure the Netflix (many other video streaming services are available) users are equally pissed of that all they're seeing is buffering messages. The real problem is the ISP provisioning inadequate backhaul for the customers it has; it's not as if streaming has appeared out of nowhere, or is likely to go away.

2. Tom Samplonius

"...I wish Netflix would piss off from Australia. Since they arrived it has caused nightmare congestion in the local backhaul."

Maybe call your crap ISP and complain? Backhaul is the cheapest thing to provision. Because turning a 1Gbps link into a 10Gbps link, or a 10Gbps link into 4 x 10Gbps links is not that expensive. And it has gotten a lot cheaper in the last 12 months.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Maybe call your crap ISP and complain? Backhaul is the cheapest thing to provision. Because turning a 1Gbps link into a 10Gbps link, or a 10Gbps link into 4 x 10Gbps links is not that expensive. And it has gotten a lot cheaper in the last 12 months.

My "crap ISP" has won more awards for customer satisfaction than any other in Aus but they are at the mercy of our former monopoly telco for backhaul in our region. Any other useful suggestions?

2. Your alien overlord - fear me

Open source, by it's very title says you get the source. Not some pre-packaged app. If people can't setup the stuff that isn't an excuse to close source the open source.

1. K0de

Then you misunderstand what docker is.

You still get the source code it's just packaged inside a docker container, it's closer to a VM than a binary.

It also depends how they package the docker, the source might be held outside the container in a user specifed folder, or the user might have to "login" to the container, but either way the source is freely accessible.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like