back to article China tells local cloud storage vaults to name suspected pirates

China's has issued strong advice to local cloud storage operators that they need to stop hosting copyrighted material. The National Copyright Administration has told local companies they must not just follow copyright laws, but implement technological and human-operated processes to identify and remove copyrighted works and …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

And?

When the distribution, either direct download or torrent, statistically matches that of pirated material, what then? It's not like successful appeals have ever had much success there. Oh, and I'm talking the last several thousand years, not just decades here.

The sad and sorry truth is "The West" is rapidly losing this tradition with public encouragement While the PRC has actually provided some shockers. A few.

2. DanceMan

Enforcement

If the enforcement on piracy in China matches its enforcement of pollution standards, don't expect much change.

3. Mark 85

So there's a population shortage?

Now couples can have 2 children instead of one... As I recall, the 1 child limit was because the population was getting "out of hand"...

1. Peter2 Silver badge

Re: So there's a population shortage?

That's my understanding as well. However, one child to two parents is deliberate population reduction, whereas 2 children per parent will result in a roughly equal population level minus the people who die from accidents etc.

I have also read that China has had some problems with families quietly killing off girls because the parents want boys to ensure that the family name is perpetuated etc which is looking to cause serious problems as there is (by my understanding) a gender imbalance in the younger generations.

I don't know how true that is, but given that China has been running a one child policy for the last 36 years I think it's reasonable to assume that their policies have probably solved the problem if you allow for the more numerous older generations dying off.

1. DanceMan

Re: parents want boys to ensure that the family name is perpetuated

At least in the southern rural areas, the practice in the past was that upon marriage a girl became part of her husband's family. So if no sons, no one to take over the farming, no one to look after the aging parents. I believe excess girls would sometimes be "sold" to other families that needed girls.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

It's suddenly dawned on them who is going to have to care for all these old folks and their pensions.

1. x 7

"It's suddenly dawned on them who is going to have to care for all these old folks and their pensions."

More like its suddenly dawned on them that they don't have enough young people to man the army AND run their factories when they finally go to war with the USA.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Why would China go to war with the USA?!?

They don't need to. The USA is self destructing faster than anybody could destroy it and they can simply buy anything from the USA that they want given the trade imbalance.

1. x 7

"Why would China go to war with the USA?!?"

1) When they realise the Chinese have tied up most of the worlds mineral resources

2) When the Chinese have enough spare cash that they can outbid the Yanks for most of their oil

3) When the Chinese finally get too gung ho and really do push their expansionist wet dream and try to treat the Western Pacific as a domestic pond

3. Sgt_Oddball

It's already been lifted in all but word (an old friend had his son born the day after they quietly canned the one child per couple).

4. Your alien overlord - fear me

Wait for it. In twenty years time, China will invade. Once they have enough soldiers (currently the existing ones are all busy building IoT stuff).

5. Graham Marsden
    Happy

Looking at that video...

... I'd be thinking China is relaxing its drugs policy!

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like