back to article Shoebox-sized satellite enters orbit packing 3Mbps radio

The European Space Agency is congratulating itself for getting a satellite off the drawing board and into space in a single year. The satellite in question is GomX-X3, a “cubesat” that, at10cm x 10cm x 30cm, more closely resembles a shoebox than a cube. The craft has several intriguing payloads, namely: A software-defined …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Multiple small satellites will also be much harder to avoid up there. Space junk is already an issue.

1. Fred Flintstone Gold badge

Multiple small satellites will also be much harder to avoid up there. Space junk is already an issue.

True, but I can also see advantages. Small means more likely to burn up if it leaves its orbit :)

2. Your alien overlord - fear me

Sounds like it can only talk to other shoeboxes but can listen to anything. Not much use to the ZuckerBorg then for pumping ads to the 3rd world.

3. werdsmith Silver badge

The reason it "more closely resembles a shoebox than a cube" is because it's a 3U Cubesat.

i.e. it's three cube units joined together. Funcube-1 (AO-73) is an example of a 1U Cubesat that is actually cubic, and has been orbiting for years.

This is really basic stuff.

1. Martin Budden Silver badge
      Coat

All CubeSats should be 4U and should be available in all the standard Tetris shapes. Just because.

4. Paul Crawford Silver badge

Also remember that the speed of development is due to simply bolting together off-the-shelf cubesat bits and not having to design for long life and no single-point-of-failure (since its so cheap, and then they don't care if it fails soon).

The long term consequences of a vast number of short-lived and then (or even by design) uncontrollable small satellites is a serious one. Really, those things should only ever be put in a very low orbit so they will de-orbit all by themselves in a couple of years at most.

1. werdsmith Silver badge

There is a project underway to develop a deployable sail to start of the deorbit.

1. Paul Crawford Silver badge

The problem with a "deployable sail" is the satellite has to be still working well enough to deploy it. Now if you can have a chemical/UV exposure timer with ~4 year period that might be OK...

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Also remember that the speed of development is due to simply bolting together off-the-shelf cubesat bits

I can see a whole new use for my son's Star Wars LEGO now. No, it's my son's, honest.

:)

3. Alan Brown Silver badge

"Really, those things should only ever be put in a very low orbit so they will de-orbit all by themselves in a couple of years at most."

They are.

The ones in higher orbits have much tougher requirements.

Whilst cubesats were originally intended to allow low cost, low orbit, short duration (before burnup) proof-of-concept missions, the form factor and increasing reliability/miniaturisation of space-rated parts means they're a useful tool for higher orbit work.

Higher orbit devices tend to be fitted with ion thrusters to ensure they can be deorbited at end of mission.

5. Voland's right hand Silver badge

Lots of small, cheap, satellites that offer functionality comparable to bigger birds

Not quite.

Moving to a small satellite does not increase the potential density of satellites in geostationary orbit. So it all depends on what kind of comms satellites are we talking about.

Lower altitude "broadband swarm" - maybe. That idea has seen an on-off interest for the last 15 years. In reality, nobody has managed to make it work commercially for Joe Average user. Sure - it is used for ship, plane, etc telemetry, but that does not drive the bandwidth demand very much. The current Inmarsat deployment can service the demand and there are very few drivers to increase it.

Geostationary tv and comms - not really. If you have a single space in the lineup, you might as well put a 10+ years lifespan monster there to make the most of it.

6. Christoph

Reaction wheels work fine until they accumulate too much speed. You have to dump the momentum somehow, usually needing propellant to do so.

They had better get that de-orbit sail working before they send up lots of these - once Kessler syndrome is triggered it's too late to do much about it.

1. Paul Crawford Silver badge

A lot of polar orbiting satellite use torquing coils against the Earth's magnetic field to off-load momentum wheel speed.

7. Lee D Silver badge

The SDR radio is the best component on that.

Not only does it mean that the radio can be re-programmed (over a designed range, but still better than nothing), it means that it can receive all those signals simultaneously. It doesn't have to worry about separate paths and interference, only that the antenna are capable of reception, and then it can analyse all those signals at the same time on the same device.

Obviously there are limits to the processing power but this means that listening out for a new band, or even slowly transitioning from one band to another, are no big deal providing you have the processing capacity. You can just add the new band, while receiving the old, then retire the old when you're sure the signal ratios are enough and it works as you expect.

If only the old GPS satellites had this - we could have made them transmit something more than just GPS NMEA and tie in with the new positioning networks without having to have the receivers all have quad-band receivers and processing in the mean-time.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Let me be the first...

... to welcome our shoebox-sized Borg collective overlords.

9. Joe Harrison

What is it for?

As title. Article explains what it can do but why is it up there? Presumably even small satellites are not cheap.

1. Blackbird74
      Devil

Re: What is it for?

Dunno, but these cubesats always make me think of the Zelda's cubes in Terrahawks, so I assume they have a sinister purpose:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1929-P7mAfY

10. Stuart 22

Size isn't everything

Why has nobody before thought of bunging a bloody big spring on the back? Must be a darn sight cheaper than launching with a polluting expensive and unstable rocket?

1. Lee D Silver badge

Re: Size isn't everything

Any spring that can push something at several miles per second (7 is escape velocity but you don't need to actually escape, 2 or 3 would do), isn't something you want to be around when it's under tension. And god knows what that would have to be made of.

2. handle
      Facepalm

Good example of why you need to use the "joke alert" icon I guess, Stuart 22...

3. MrXavia

No, for this we need a space cannon!

11. This post has been deleted by its author

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like