back to article HP and pals release open source switch OS

HP, Intel, VMware, Broadcom and pals have released a new, open-source, network operating system (NOS). OpenSwitch offers the now-familiar, thanks to the likes of Big Switch and Cumulus Networks, chance to buy a white box switch and run your own operating system on it. In a colossal non-surprise, the NOS is Linux-based. HP will …

1. Youngone Silver badge
    Mushroom

Nice

Looks like a great thing. I'm wondering how HP can make a total pig's breakfast out of it.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

When I once asked our HP networking gold partner when I can buy those Altoline switches from him, he told me it´s not meant to be orderd by us and when I persist to buy those devies I have to buy a minimum of 200 pieces. So inexpensive open white boxes for the big ones and the expensive black boxed ProcurveOS/Comware boxes for the rest of us....?

3. The Average Joe

How do we jump ship....

we have been using Cisco IOS in the ISP field for decades and know it inside, outside, backwards and upside down. To jerk the carpet out and swap it with a cheaper kit does what? We get to save some money on one end, go thru tons of training, find new bugs and try to get them fixed in software and/or hardware and try to mock up the tools and commands we used on the legacy gear.

Cisco knows networking, the rest know how to make stuff cheaper. Remember 10-20 years ago when Intel had routers to compete with Cisco... How well did that migration go? Intel bragged that we will take over 50% of Cisco's marker because we can sell IT a cheaper router and everyone wants the cheapest router they can pay money for!

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like