back to article Don't look now, but there's another EU data protection court case about to bite

It might not be getting quite the level of attention as the Max Schrems case, but tomorrow (Thursday) the European Court of Justice will rule on another case that could have similar ramifications for data protection. The Weltimmo case involves a tricky legal question on jurisdiction for data protection issues when a company …

1. Your alien overlord - fear me

And this is why we should not be the Fragmented Alliance of Rustic Countries in Europe since that is what EU law currently is (spot the capital letters)

2. Vimes

You mean this ruling?

http://curia.europa.eu/jcms/upload/docs/application/pdf/2015-10/cp150111en.pdf

3. Vimes

I complained to the ICO when Amazon were spamming (and still are). They claimed that since Amzon's HQ was in Luxembourg they couldn't do anything about it.

I wonder if this ruling changes anything? Maybe the ICO will actually act for once?

(I think I just saw a pig fly by the window)

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

There's still loads of fun to be had..

The rules also change between countries.

I'm presently dealing with a UK company that genuinely thought that because they had moved their data onto Swiss servers it fell under Swiss Data Protection laws. Nope. Not according to Swiss law, but that's what they were telling their customers until I came across it during a privacy audit. It's not difficult to fix and make it so, but it is a mistake I see quite often. It remains a minefield, even in a supposedly "common" market.

5. Zippy's Sausage Factory

I'm on Hungary's side here

Not that it will make much difference. Most companies think of their "customers" as sheep to be fleeced, nothing more. If they could get away with planting malware on the computer and harvesting our bank accounts, I can't think of many international companies that wouldn't do it.

1. Roland6 Silver badge

Re: I'm on Hungary's side here

>If they could get away with planting malware on the computer and harvesting our bank accounts

They do - one form of this scam is dressed up as use our service for n-days free, but first you must set up a monthly subscription payable by direct debit... Another is the premium rate text message subscription services that people can accidentially sign themselves up to.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Last paragraph

Why on earth will this change under the GDPR? Do you think there will never be a disagreement over who is the lead DPA and betwween the lead and the interested DPAs. It just means they'll be arguing with one another as well as with the complainants and data controllers. And if joint liability with data processors comes in we can have legal bun fights with the whole supply chain and multiple DPAs for such cases.

Maybe Mutually Assured Litigation is the new Data Governance defence ....

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like