back to article TPG glasses Vodafone with 4,000 km of new fibre

After Vocus and M2 Communications announced their merger deal, all eyes turned to troubled mobile operator Vodafone, with TPG mooted as the likely buyer. Those rumours will get even more legs, with the two companies announcing a services-for-subscriber swap that will implant TPG deep in the Vodafone network. The no-longer- …

1. John Tserkezis

"After Vocus and M2 Communications announced their merger deal, all eyes turned to troubled mobile operator Vodafone, with TPG mooted as the likely buyer."

Aw crap. First iiNet, now Voda. It's like TPG is actively trying to screw everyone over.

2. Jon B

Compatible handsets

Will people's phones all be compatible after the MVNO network switch - are the 3G and 4G frequencies the same?

1. zemm

Re: Compatible handsets

I know this is three months late, but mostly, yes. For 3G Voda uses 850/900/2100 (phasing out the 850, see below) where Optus uses 900/2100. For 4G (LTE) Voda uses 850/1800, Optus uses 700/1800. Many phones support the 850 LTE but only the newest support 700. Either way, 1800 is common.

I've been switched and - surprisingly - have only noticed improvements. But then I haven't gone rural yet.

There is a pit lid with the TPG logo and a new trench going to an existing Vodafone tower near my house. I can only assume that this is one of the newly upgraded towers that is now providing full bars to my phone, rather than the droppy-out Optus signal!

As for "all phones" - as far as I know Optus-locked phones would have worked with the old TPG SIM card, but not with the replacement Vodafone-based SIM. So if you are using a phone locked to Optus it would stop working until you either get it unlocked or replaced.

3. RobHib

If Vodafone needs Customers...

All Vodafone needs to do to attract customers is to differentiate its prices with respect to Telstra.

Telstra's rates are outrageously high by world standards and everybody in Oz is screaming about it–and they're itching to go elsewhere. When Vodafone or whoever lowers their rates people will switch.

They will not switch for piddling price differences however, but they will if there's real price competition and to date there's been none.

1. Overcharged Aussie

Re: If Vodafone needs Customers...

I used to be with Vodafone and would swap back in a heartbeat if their coverage was better. Their pricing is better than Telstra and their conditions of use are better as well but get outside one of the major cities and everything drops back to poor.

I do a lot of work in country Queensland and for me I can only rely on Telstra.

2. Adam 1

Re: If Vodafone needs Customers...

I think you will find them quite handsomely cheaper than Telstra already. It's the service quality they have to get right, and to be fair they have done much better in the last 6 months from my unscientific survey sample of me.

They just need to do the little things right consistently and their lost customers will churn back with competitive pricing and coverage.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like