back to article Twitter signs Edward Snowden to write for them for free

Former NSA sysadmin Edward Snowden, famed for leaking colossal quantities of secret government information to selected journalists, has decided to supply free content to microblurt advertising platform Twitter. Increasingly comfortable in Russian exile, it seems - while reportedly still seeking asylum elsewhere - the one-time …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Politicians really hate it

...when one of the "little people" leaks stuff. It is a measure of how things have deteriorated that Peter Wright only had to go to Australia, whereas Snowden ended up in Russia.

Even the most amateur student of history knows that one of the primary causes of war is state secrecy (another one is irresponsible journalists stoking conflict in the interests of circulation.) If politicians find it impossible to keep secrets - about their dodgy deals, their funding, their support for unpleasant régimes and who pulls their strings in other ways - it should be a net gain for everybody else. But sadly all politicians have to do is genuflect to "national security" and half the population starts baying for the blood of anyone who wants more transparency.

In a world where Saudi Arabia can chair the UN Human Rights organisation, parody and satire are useless. The only weapon left is the exposure of the truth.

1. Graham Marsden
      Devil

Re: Politicians really hate it

But, as always, it's different when *they* do it...

2. DaveDaveDave

"Even the most amateur student of history knows that one of the primary causes of war is state secrecy (another one is irresponsible journalists stoking conflict in the interests of circulation.)"

What an utterly ludicrous set of claims - the latter verging on an antisemitic conspiracy theory.

1. Alister

...irresponsible journalists stoking conflict in the interests of circulation.

What an utterly ludicrous set of claims - the latter verging on an antisemitic conspiracy theory.

You have heard of William Randolph Hearst, have you?

1. Graham Marsden
          Facepalm

@DaveDaveDave - Re: Politicians really hate it

> the latter verging on an antisemitic conspiracy theory.

You really do have a bee in your bonnet about "The Jooz", don't you...

1. DaveDaveDave

Re: @DaveDaveDave - Politicians really hate it

"You really do have a bee in your bonnet about "The Jooz", don't you..."

No, about the antisemites who tell such absurd stories as that the (Jew-controlled, natch) media is manipulating national governments into going to war. As I said, it's verging on antisemitic conspiracy territory, and I'll add that it's perhaps unintended by the OP - which I thought literally went without saying given the language I used.

2. DaveDaveDave

"You have heard of William Randolph Hearst, have you?"

Of course. To stretch from that to claiming that a primary cause of wars is manipulation by the media is fatuous, and, perhaps coincidentally in this case, manipulation of world governments by the media is a well-known antisemitic trope.

1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. rjmx
        Stop

> What an utterly ludicrous set of claims - the latter verging on an antisemitic conspiracy theory.

Look up the connection between Hearst and the Spanish-American war some time.

2. Camilla Smythe
    Trollface

The Man is a Traitor

Who has Betrayed God's Own Country, Pumpkin Pie and The American Way. Saudi Justice is Too Good for Him. Let him Rot in Russia on a Diet of Cabbage and Potato Leaves.

1. getHandle

Re: The Man is a Traitor

And vodka. Don't forget the vodka!

2. Alister

Who has Betrayed God's Own Country,

What, Wales??

3. Camilla Smythe

OK.. I'll admit to 'improper use' of the Troll Icon. I really have no idea what I meant to say, who I meant to Troll or even how. Perhaps that caused some confusion.

If you will allow me a 'clean sheet'.

Mr Snowden Rocks!

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Twitter bird

Versus Bald Eagle

Angry birds!

4. DaveDaveDave

For free?

Well, I guess he's got rich enough through selling his country's secrets to Russia and China that Twitter can't match his reservation wage.

5. This post has been deleted by its author

6. pewpie

Twitter comprehension failure/Egomaniac/both

"@Snowden follows only one account, the joint account of the National Security Agency and Central Security Service"

See title.

7. Matt Bryant Silver badge
    Facepalm

LOL!

Behold the hilarious truth of Twatter - Snowjoke's faithful brag about him managing to reach 900,000 followers in 24 hours, whereas Caitlyn Jenner had over a million in four. Hey, Ed, Caitlyn now has 3.08 million unique and verified followers, so you have a lot of catching up to do! Even ignoring the high likelihood of mindless groupies, Ed has less than 0.001% of the World's population paying attention.

Nothing could display more the vapid nature of Twatter and the relative irrelevance of Snowjoke's ego-stroking to the general populace.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: LOL!

Behold the moron who can't read. Snowden didn't brag about 900,000 followers in 24 hours, it was mentioned in the Reg article is all.

1. DaveDaveDave

"Behold the moron who can't read. Snowden didn't brag about 900,000 followers in 24 hours, it was mentioned in the Reg article is all."

Ironic. The person you responded to didn't write what you've managed to misread. Or, being a typical Snowdenista, you've deliberately been dishonest.

2. Matt Bryant Silver badge
        Happy

Re: Doug S Re: LOL!

Oooh, you really are upset about the whole Caitlyn Jenner out-following Snowjoke! Did it upset you to realise you are not "the 99%", not even the 0.01%? That Snowjoke matters less to the general populace than Caitlyn? ROFLMAO!

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Re: Doug S LOL!

Wait, if I'm not the 99%, or the 0.01%, does that mean I'm the 0.99%?

2. Joe Wulf

@Matt, very well stated, Sir!

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like