back to article Russian hacker, nabbed in Spain, cops 4+ years for Citadel botnet

Dimitry Belorossov – a Russian cyber-criminal who used the Citadel banking trojan – has been sentenced to four years and six months in a US prison after pleading guilty to conspiring to commit computer fraud. Belorossov, who was known by criminal associates as Rainerfox, was alleged to have operated a Citadel command and …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"who was arrested by US law enforcement partners"

I'm no expert but shouldn’t Interpol be handling cases like this? Not that I feel sorry for the guy, but is a nation sovereign if the USA can just waltz in and arrest anyone they please? Why do we have these extradition treaties at all with the USA when they can just pick up anyone they want in almost any place on earth? Team America World Police indeed.

1. ItsNotMe
      FAIL

Re: "who was arrested by US law enforcement partners"

"...but is a nation sovereign if the USA can just waltz in and arrest anyone they please?

Hey numbnuts...can you read?

It says "... arrested by US law enforcement partners in Spain during 2013 when attempting to board a flight back to Russia, and subsequently extradited to the US. NOT US law enforcement directly.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Perhaps there is a distinct possibility this article piqued your interest for all the wrong reasons? Worried? I would be.

I'm quite sure that Interpol and Spanish authorities were involved in the capture, in spite of your rush to damn the Americans. But then you didn't read the article through even though you quoted the statement that would have tipped you off.

If you commit a crime like this against US citizens, they are going to try very hard to find and capture you. Hopefully, they get all the "carders" out there just like they got this one.

Personally, dealing with these criminals is the only place where I could ever agree with Sharia law......

1. EJ

As an American citizen, I'd be worried that Mother Russia will attempt to put a few American citizens under her skirt in retaliation.

2. NoneSuch Silver badge

"The DoJ considers Citadel, which is a ZeuS variant, to have infected over 11 million computers worldwide and to be responsible for more than $500m in losses."

They're just mad they couldn't use it themselves.

3. Your alien overlord - fear me

Even if he serves a bit of prison time, what's the betting he is then 'supervised' by the NSA on his release?

4. oneeye

I wonder if supervised means training? And just what is a supervised FOREIGNER going to do for three year after release? Work for who,and does he get a green card? Enquiring minds would like to know!

1. Stevie

Bah!

I wonder if supervised means training? And just what is a supervised FOREIGNER going to do for three year after release? Work for who,and does he get a green card? Enquiring minds would like to know!

Bricklayer on the Trump Anti-Mexican Wall.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Flame

chop chop

>"bemoaned the difficulty of bringing to justice cyber-criminals believed to be located in China and Russia, where they may receive state support."

Can't help feeling that the rest of the world would be a happier place if it just snipped the wires to those two countries.

1. Looper
      Facepalm

Re: chop chop

While you're at it, why not add the US, UK, all Gulf states, NZ, Oz, Canada and a few more to the list...?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like