back to article 11 MILLION VW cars used Dieselgate cheatware – what the clutch, Volkswagen?

Volkswagen is getting hammered on world stock exchanges after it was revealed the number of VW cars using software to cheat on pollution tests is far greater than first thought. On Friday, the US Environmental Protection Agency revealed that the German car firm had been using engine management software that detected when …

Page:

1. This post has been deleted by its author

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Sorry but how is this at all funny or appropriate?

Found the SJW...and a repetitive one at that...

1. diodesign (Written by Reg staff) Silver badge

Changed it, but only because it's a cliche. And! if! there's! one! thing! we! boffins! hate! at! The! Reg! more! than! meeellllions! of! fanbois!, it's beating a dead horse.

C.

1. This post has been deleted by its author

1. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge

DEAR PC PLOD,

THANK YOU FOR BEING OFFENDED ON MY BEHALF!

Reminds me of the protest letters to The Economist about the use of "niggardly".

Meanwhile:

but at a cost of barfing out 40 times the permitted levels of nitrogen oxide

should hopefully be "up to" etc.

2. Captain DaFt

"And! if! there's! one! thing! we! boffins! hate! at! The! Reg! more! than! meeellllions! of! fanbois!, it's beating a dead horse."

No no no no no, it's:

"And! if! there's! one! thing! we! boffins! hate! at! The! Reg! more! than! meeellllions! of! fanbois!, it's beating a dead horse."

Got to pay attention to to the little details we know and love.

3. ZootCadillac
          Joke

As a newly inducted SJW I am deeply offended that you imply by omission that it is in some way acceptable to beat a live horse.

1. John Tserkezis

"As a newly inducted SJW I am deeply offended that you imply by omission that it is in some way acceptable to beat a live horse"

So beating dead ones is still OK? Good, otherwise I'm out of a job.

1. ZootCadillac

Re: So beating dead ones is still OK?

I'm sorry. I simply do not know the rules any more :)

1. Anonymous Coward
                Anonymous Coward

Re: So beating dead ones is still OK?

I'm sorry. I simply do not know the rules any more :)

You could claim old age (I do, only those who know me well won't let me get away with that :) ).

Here are my rules:

- do not gratuitously set out to offend someone;

- but, as offence is taken, not given, you have a lot of slack, provided:

- everyone is treated the same, irrespective, of sex, skin colour, race or social strata

- .. but stupid is stupid, and there is no law against naming things as they are ..

- because being Politically Correct falls under "stupid" too.

The short version of that is "Live and let live, and God help anyone who manages to piss me off".

2. Omgwtfbbqtime
              Gimp

Re: So beating dead ones is still OK? Good, otherwise I'm out of a job

Of course we need to cater for those members of society who's lifestyle embraces Sado-Masochism, bestiality and necrophilia.

Well done Sir, for going public with your life choices!

4. Mike 125

@diodesign

>>Changed it,

Noooo, please don't. I for one come to the Reg. for (apart from great tech. analysis) its total political incorrectness and utter ignorance and insanity on issues like climate change!

>>having worked with children to whom all kind of nasty things had happened back in the 70's.

Oh, go p'ss up a f'kstick. As it happens, some of us *were* those kids, and we sure as hell don't need the help of dumb f'ck attitudes like this to get by:-

>>So the thumbs down is from someone who thinks violence to kids is OK?

Please Keep It Unreal, Reg.

As for VW, bring on Tesla - can't be soon enough.

5. Fruit and Nutcase Silver badge

@diodesign

... it's beating a dead horse.

How about beating a dead car?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mv0onXhyLlE

(It's not a German car. Still, don't mention the war!)

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

You have triggered a trap!

3. TheVogon

"If Volkswagen alters the engine management software to make the cars run cleaner, then fuel economy and the cars' speed will be affected, and owners aren't going to be happy about that."

So everyone will ignore the recall. Happy days for VW....

1. The First Dave

"If Volkswagen alters the engine management software to make the cars run cleaner, then fuel economy and the cars' speed will be affected, and owners aren't going to be happy about that."

Shirley if VW _do_ alter the software, it will merely bring it into line with the published figures?

Be interesting to see how you can sue someone for making it run better, either way.

1. Phil W

The alterations will bring it in to line with the published emissions figures, but in doing so make the fuel economy and/or performance (which is what the consumer is more interested in, rather than emissions) noticeably worse than the figures published for those.

The consumers will then, quite legitimately, be seeking compensation from VW for selling them a car which is less fuel efficient and/or lower performance than they were sold.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Just another example of declining journalistic standards, the red banner at the top is the clue.

3. This post has been deleted by its author

1. Khaptain Silver badge

>So the thumbs down is from someone who thinks violence to kids is OK?

No, and the world is not a dichotomy either.

4. goldcd

It's nothing to do with children

See also large quantities of the internet being devoted to physically assaulting the middle management of established churches.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: It's nothing to do with children

I thought that a large part of the internet is about Shaking Hands with the Bishop

1. Anonymous Coward
          Pint

thats very friendly

2. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

I thought that a large part of the internet is about Shaking Hands with the Bishop

Of course. What other reason could there be to invent hands free phones?

Yes, I'll be here all week, thanks.

5. ZootCadillac

I'm 50 years old. Today actually. I've been ginger for the majority of that time. Although now I sport a nice little bald area and the rest of my hair is turning a quite odd ruddy blonde.

Was I bullied about it? You bet. And growing up in one of the poorest areas of the UK in the 60's and 70's was no picnic I can tell you. but I guess it helped make me who I am today.

And who I am is someone who gets deeply annoyed when strangers get offended on my behalf when not asked to.

I find nothing at all offensive about the term 'ginger stepchild' and its various uses because it's a metaphor and neatly sums up what a writer means when the term is used.

So please, come down. It must be cold always up there on the moral high ground.

1. Fred Flintstone Gold badge

I'm 50 years old. Today actually.

It's kinda uncivil that nobody congratulated you on your birthday, so hereby. Many happy returns!

:).

1. ZootCadillac

Re: I'm 50 years old. Today actually.

Most kind Fred. Not that I was digging for compliments. It's been a bit of a bastard acknowledging all the good wishes on Twitter all day ;) But I thank you all the same :)

2. digthatfish

Imagine the software meeting....

Right we have an interesting feature we need to add into the engine management software this week!

1. Dan 55 Silver badge
      Devil

Re: Imagine the software meeting....

"And there's no CR or bug number for this one. No, don't worry about it."

Part of the testing's got to involve handing over the source code and some way of verifying the source code you have is the code that's running in the car. There's too much software in cars nowadays to pretend that you can test a car just by driving it about a bit, sitting it on top of a dynamometer, or hoping that the app to access the car is coded properly.

1. Mark 65

Re: Imagine the software meeting....

I'm guessing that these cars will still pass the UK MoT test in their current state which, I believe, tests for CO/CO2 and HC in exhaust gas. As such, surely this then makes the "software feature" an after-market enhancement that someone will no doubt provide to boost what will be the future shitty performance of these vehicles post-recall?

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Surely their competitors knew about this?

VW claimed to have uniquely clever diesel engine design, able to meet emission standards without needing urea. Surely the likes of Mercedes would have done some careful reverse-engineering to see what the tricks were and how to get comparable benefits while keeping the protected IP at arms' length? In which case they would have noted the enormous discrepancy between the published and actual emissions, yet apparently didn't tip-off the regulators. Perhaps they also have a closet-load of skeletons and there's a wider industry collusion against regulation?

1. Voland's right hand Silver badge

Re: Surely their competitors knew about this?

They are not the only ones.

I drive a vehicle from the _OTHER_ manufacturer claiming that it is capable of achieving it - Isuzu. AFAIK it works, the design is published and has been tested by 3rd parties (it uses a more complex air distribution and EGR than normal). However, so was the VW one, so you never know.

As far as wider industry collusion, several Eu consumer organizations have shown in tests that the official results are completely bonkers and Fiat is already facing a lawsuit. I would not be surprised if the other ones will follow.

By the way, I got voted down into oblivion when I pointed out on the previous el-reg story that this has to be an EGR related stunt as the specific VW models affected are (or at least initially were) AdBlue-less. I guess at the end of the day, I was right :)

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"I got voted down into oblivion when I pointed out on the previous el-reg story that this has to be an EGR related stunt as the specific VW models affected are (or at least initially were) AdBlue-less. I guess at the end of the day, I was right :)"

You were voted down for stating that adblue wasn't used in cars.

". AdBlue is used only in trucks AFAIK"

2. Anonymous John

I read somewhere that the affected cars do use urea to mop up pollutants but only have enough for emissions testing. If so, it will need more than just a software change.

PS. Beating a red headed stepchild is a cliché? I cant recall coming across it before..

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

As cliché's go it's quite common thought the correct usage is "Only the love you can give to a ginger stepchild." while lightly tapping the back of your hand and putting a stupid smile on your face.

I'm not going to get into the whole PC crap, it exists and you can choose to find it funny or not as I've never seen or heard anyone use it that would advocate the exact meaning. It's a bit like when someone says "I like black people, every house should have one" to a black person ,they find it hilarious as they know as does the person saying it that because it's so far away from their moral compass it's actually too shocking to be anything other than funny and a great way to use shock as an icebreaker, the reactions of everyone else are extremely funny as they don't know what to do.

Can't we have politically correct political incorrectness?

3. Mike Flex

"VW claimed to have uniquely clever diesel engine design, able to meet emission standards without needing urea."

Needing urea? They appear to be taking the urea.

4. Voland's right hand Silver badge

It is not just the emissions. What VW does is using EGR differently depending if it is a test or real. This results in a significant difference in fuel consumption. If the engine will have to run in reduced emissions mode all the time, it should have higher fuel consumption. I am starting to wonder, was CO2 (as required by UK tax banding) tested with on-road software or with test software. If it was tested with test software this means re-banding of most small VW group diesel vehicles sold in the UK for the last 5 years. That will be fun.

1. Bronek Kozicki

@Voland's right hand surely CO2 testing was done using standardized tests, which have been established long time ago in cooperation between motor companies and interested national/international agencies. Same as NOxtesting, actually. Or mpg figures, for that matter. And everyone knows that these figures are fiddled and bear no resemblance whatsoever to real driving conditions.

There is hoping that this scandal will be a wake up call to replace these car tests with something a bit closer to reality (but do not get your hopes too high). Unrealistic test conditions are not confined to car industry, it happens everywhere when vendors are allowed too much influence - reminds me of Dyson

2. Phil O'Sophical Silver badge

was CO2 (as required by UK tax banding)

Not just UK, France has swingeing tax "malus" (opposite of bonus) values for cars above certain CO2 thresholds, which is why diesel cars are so popular despite their known other pollution problems.

More to the point, the whole scheme is a con. CO2 production is directly related to fuel consumption, and the more fuel a car uses the more tax the driver pays, so there is already a progressive tax scheme in place that corresponds exactly to real-world driving conditions. The whole CO2 banding crap is just politicians' greenwash, to raise taxes while seeming to be concerned about "the environment".

It may even make matters worse, since all manufacturers game the system to score the best results in the test even if the real-world figures are worse. That can be seen by the resuts from tuners who can remap a car to give better performance and better overall economy when they aren't constrained by meeting artificial and unrealistic targets. VW seem to have gone over the top here, but all the moral outrage being expressed seems somewhat misplaced, they are far from alone in these activities. It will be interesting to see the results of tests on other manufacturer's vehicles.

1. theModge

Indeed, I thought most cars had flat spots at least at the revs at which UK emissions tests were carried out, this is just taking it to the next level.

3. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Not only do their competitors know about this, they all do it themselves to a greater or lesser extent. The Peugeot HDI diesel engine is a case in point. The first of its type, claiming to give performance similar to petrol, with the economy of diesel. The particulate output of these is horrible - in normal use - but mysteriously they're able to comply with the EU regulations when tested on a rolling road for their annual MOT tests....

Ford also have some interesting code in their engine management firmware that they always claim is "proprietary" so isn't open to scrutiny. Draw your own conclusions......

AC because I design software for a motor manufacturer!

4. JeffyPoooh
    Pint

"Wide Open Throttle"

I know that 'throttle' doesn't apply to diesel engines, but with gasoline engines it is very common to go "open loop" at full throttle, meaning that the oxygen sensor is ignored and the mixture is enrichened for maximum acceleration, and perhaps some blue flames from the tailpipe.

Since the formal tests typically don't include WOT, it's fair game. Right?

1. itzman
      Boffin

Re: "Wide Open Throttle"

My knowledge is far from exhaustive (sic!) but on diesel, you maintain a constant air input and modulate the fuel, if its non turbo, and a bit more complex but similar if its blown.

What that means is that the cruise and low power mixture becomes extraordinarily weak. Rather than the full throttle mix rather rich (although that too is a feature of older non turbo diesels that smoke under hard acceleration).

The problems AIUI is that ultra lean burn is desperately good for fuel efficiency and particulate emissions as everything gets burnt, but desperately bad for NOx emissions as even the nitrogen gets 'burnt' ...And there is no currently deployable technological quick fix way out of that. Up the fuel ratio to 'cool' the burn and richen it and you will see more smoke and unburnt fuel.

I am wondering what the implications would be of 11 million cars that can never meet the US emissions regulations.

1. Bronek Kozicki

@itzman nice explanation, I suppose the same applies to diesel power generators which, as I understand, are normally run at lean burn for fuel efficiency. If so, then there is a big question to green lobby: how many of these generators have been installed in support of wind turbines, how many are used, and what anti-pollution norms do they actually have to adhere to.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

"diesel power generators which, as I understand, are normally run at lean burn for fuel efficiency."

There is a confusion of terms here; Diesel engines never run lean or rich, that is a term from spark ignition engines. At a certain point more oil is injected than can be burnt effectively, and the result is the emission of partially burnt fuel - carbon monoxide, carbon particles. An engine should not be run under these conditions because it will have a short life. As generators, like marine engines, are expected to run for long periods between overhauls, at the lowest fuel cost, they need to run as clean as possible.

This is why when I get carved up by some moron in a beat up diesel pouring out black smoke, I console myself with the thought that the engine will soon break down expensively. It's important to stay on top of Diesel cleanliness, as just about everything that matters - valves, piston rings, turbocharger - will die prematurely if soot is being generated.

2. Phil O'Sophical Silver badge

And there is no currently deployable technological quick fix way out of that.

This is exactly what Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) does. In low power operation it replaces some of that air with already-burnt exhaust gases, which cools the combustion and reduces NO formation.

Older cars had a very simple vacuum-based EGR valve which bled exhaust gases in when it detected high manifold vacuum, which was a very clumsy level of control and affected performance. Modern ones use an ECU-controlled valve, and this is probably where VW were playing games.

EGR causes other problems, such as soot build-up in the inlet manifold, and it was commonplace for people to blank off the valve by putting a small metal plate across the bleed pipe. That's harder now with the ECU-controlled valves, since the ECU can detect that opening the valve didn't cause any changes, and it's likely to flag this as an engine management problem (EML light comes on)

3. Nigel 11

If it's not economically feasible to clean NOx from diesel exhaust, this will be the end of the diesel car. Thoughts and questions:

Firstly, is urea in the quantities needed to clean the exhaust particularly expensive (and just how much is needed? ) Could diesel cars be made with an easily owner-filled urea tank, so that owners just have to tip a bottle of the stuff in when the low urea light comes on? (A bit like tipping engine oil into engines of 1960s vintage that ate oil at quite significant miles-per-liter rates even when new).

Secondly, if it's a problem only under light loads when the engine runs very lean, it's a good match to hybrid technology. Don't ever run the engine lean. Shut it down and run on the battery until more electricity is needed. Then restart the engine and run at the emissions-optimized power output until the battery is recharged.

One other thing: diesel fuel is taxed less than it should be in comparison to petrol. If the tax reflected the energy content of the fuels, then modern petrol-engined cars would look better value even to long-distance motorists. Diesel would once again become something used almost exclusively by off-road vehicles and goods vehicles.

1. Tom 7

Is it economically unfeasible to have no NO2 in diesel exhausts? How about new engine designs - ultra high temperature running leads to massive improvement in efficiency (up to 3*?). This can be achieved by replacing the air with O2. The O2 is generated from electrolysing water and the H2 is partly stored for use in fuel cells to boost maximum power requirements, or just for plain running the car.

So actually you've got an electric car running with a diesel generator - but with no nitrogen oxides.

2. Dr. Mouse

One other thing: diesel fuel is taxed less than it should be in comparison to petrol. If the tax reflected the energy content of the fuels, then modern petrol-engined cars would look better value even to long-distance motorists.

I think you'll find the tax per MJ is not too different.

ULS diesel & petrol are both taxed at 58p/l. For petrol, this gives about 1.7p/MJ, and diesel approx 1.5p/MJ. To increase diesel to petrol levels would be approx 7.5p/l increase to diesel tax.

While this is a fair increase (12% in tax, or about 7% in the total current cost of fuel), for long distance running most would get a much larger increase in fuel efficiency over a petrol engine. They would still be paying much less per mile than the equivalent petrol car.

3. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Firstly, is urea in the quantities needed to clean the exhaust particularly expensive (and just how much is needed? ) Could diesel cars be made with an easily owner-filled urea tank, so that owners just have to tip a bottle of the stuff in when the low urea light comes on?

That is how it's done. 20litres of urea will cover 15-20,000km motoring, costs $1/litre to refill.

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon