back to article Oh, IT'S ON. IT. IS. ON: Google, Netflix et al square up to telcos in net neutrality showdown

Internet companies have jumped into the lawsuit brought by Big Telco against America's net neutrality rules. The Internet Association, which is the Washington DC lobbying group for the likes of Amazon, Etsy, Facebook, Google, Netflix, PayPal, Twitter, Uber at al, has filed an amicus brief into the ongoing lawsuit against the …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

ISPs offer an "information service" rather than a simple communications service like a telephone.

Ah, so the "common carrier" defence only applies when it suits them?

1. Mark 85

So the internet isn't about communication, only "information".... what a novel concept. I guess we're not communicating then, only informing each other? Nit-picking at it's best, the ISP's are.

1. frank ly

I think they mean, "Hey look, we've got a website that tells you stuff!"

2. David Roberts

FFS

Just buy an ISP or two and have end to end control.

After all, this is what the customers want.......

3. Camilla Smythe

What was that Star Trek Episode

Where the Black and White Stripy blokes end up beating two shed loads of shit out of each other for eternity in some sort of inter-dimensional tunnel. I would recommend that we take off and nuke ourselves from orbit. Awhhhh Fuck, I just noticed the primary and secondary flaws in that suggestion.

4. x 7

" those bringing the lawsuit are among the most practiced and well-resourced parasites in the country"

Proofread it for you

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Hmm, telephony

I wonder if their argument means that the FCC can require them to completely separate their telephony business from their internet business? Do you think that would make them yell even more?

6. thomas k

My ISP gave me an email address

Email is a "communication" service, just like a telephone.

Oops.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Netflix

I find it interesting when Netflix bleats about such things because essentially they don't actually use the public internet to deliver the majority of their content. If you are with a major ISP then almost all Netflix content is locally delivered from servers in the ISP's network.

https://openconnect.netflix.com/deliveryOptions/

Which is also interesting from the perspective of the Netflix ISP metrics they publish, because how do they do them? Or at least the public should understand how the measurement works.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like