back to article A krayshee sexy Dutch post-pub nosh neckfiller: Stamppot

Our elite post-pub culinary team has decided to enjoy a short break from the pots and pans and bugger off on holiday, so we'd like to take the opportunity to hand over cooking duties this week to reader Pascal Harris. Pascal got in touch to say that, inspired by our previous neckfillers, he'd knocked up Dutch classic stamppot …

1. SVV

Not really post pub nosh

Stamppot is more a hearty Winter evening meal. And using chilli sauce instead of gravy is like making a Shepherd's Pie with chilli sauce instead of gravy - ok, it might work but it sure ain't the same thing any more.

If you can't get the rookworst here, the best bet is to use some smoked Polish sausage which pretty much all supermarkets have these days.

The real Dutch post pub neckfiller is an Uitsmijter (literally "outthrower" - an indication that it's time for your guests to leave after they've eaten it). 2 fried eggs on 2 slices of bread with slices of ham on top. Takes minutes to make and is a most brilliant hangover preventitive.

1. Vincent Ballard

Re: Not really post pub nosh

Uitsmijter has already been covered in the post-pub nosh series. See the list of links at the bottom of the article.

2. The Mighty Spang

peeling potatoes when pissed?

thats a recipie for loosing a finger in my house.

1. Elmer Phud
      Headmaster

Re: peeling potatoes when pissed?

could have done with losing an 'o' -- wobble it, see if it's loose.

2. Jedit Silver badge
      Headmaster

"thats a recipie for loosing a finger in my house"

And for once, this would be worse than having your I out.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

May I hereby apologise..

.. for the apparent Dutch invasion of El Reg.

It's just a new experience, it's normally us who get invaded (well, OK, apart from the odd colony or so, but you've been there too). No doubt the novelty will wear of soon, after which normal service will be resumed.

:)

1. Arthur the cat Silver badge

Re: May I hereby apologise..

Obligatory xkcd references:

https://what-if.xkcd.com/53/ (check out the final map)

https://what-if.xkcd.com/54/ (ditto)

4. chivo243 Silver badge

Sorry

Pass on the stamppot after a night of elbow bending. I will gladly have the Uitsmijter or a kapsaloon or a broodje shoarma...

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Sorry

Upvote for the uitsmijter. As a matter of fact, I might as well make one right now as I'm hungry..

PS: no need for a capital "U" in uitsmijter. It's Dutch, not German :)

/pedant

1. chivo243 Silver badge

Re: Sorry

Sorry, copied and pasted a previous commentard... I should know better.

2. ZSn

raw herring mmmm!

Or broodje harring (approximate spelling) apparently I was the only non-Dutchman to like it. It is in fact delicious

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: raw herring mmmm!

"Or broodje haring..." FTFY

2. This post has been deleted by its author

5. Frank Zuiderduin

Too much potato...

Looking at that first&last picture... No, you really don't want that much potato in a boerenkoolstamppot. Takes away the kale/borecole/boerenkool taste.

1. et tu, brute?

Re: Too much potato...

Well, tastes differ! ;)

Looks about the correct volume of potato to me, but seriously misses the gravy...

1. Mark 85

Re: Too much potato...

What type/flavor of gravy? Sausage or otherwise?

6. Anomalous Cowturd
    Windows

Needs frying to crispy goodness, and a fried egg on top!

And HP sauce...

7. Neil Barnes Silver badge

I thought I might try frying them up with an egg...

Ah, this man is a masterchef.

There is *no* food which is not improved by frying it up with an egg.

(please can we have a bacon icon?)

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: I thought I might try frying them up with an egg...

Unless you're violently allergic to poultry and egg.

8. Efros

Don't peel the tatties, just wash em, then mash 'em skins and all.

1. Bill M

I didn't think about washing the tatties. Could have made it less gritty.

9. imanidiot Silver badge

Stamppot is one of those Dutch recipes that is usually made in the morning/previous day by the woman of the house while the men are out working the farm and then reheated for lunch (Traditional hot meal time for farm workers in most of the country, the evening meal was usually much simpler and consists of a few slices of bread). It often actually tastes BETTER when reheated (allows all the flavours to develop)

1. Mpeler
      Paris Hilton

reheated?

So, erm, the men are reheated for lunch? And I thought the French had it good...

Paris, well, because - oh, who cares if she can cook...

10. Tom 7

Champ

poundies or whole other gamut of mash and veggies with other bits. Adding various cheese could be fun too.

Must find out how to make rookworst!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Champ

While I wore the uniform and poultry and/or egg on the menu, became addicted to mashed potatoes, some veggie addition, and cheese, sour cream or other milk derivative, then spiced. Didn't even have to ask permission. Lots of things to do with rice, grits, oatmeal and cream of wheat, too.

On port visit first hit book store then reloaded spice supply. Toss in quite a bit of dehydrated supplies (noodles, & c.) and I was set for two or three months. Shipboard so space wasn't much of a consideration about 1 cubic, meter.

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

It is stamppot but..

If you want the real traditional stamppot you're looking for "wortels en uien", or in other words "carrots and onions".

And it's just as the name implies: you cook up a decent batch of potatoes together with carrots and onions and then mash it all together. Couldn't be easier :)

1. Mpeler
      Pint

Re: It is stamppot but..

And what about hachee? Can't get much better than that on a cold night...

2. ChrisLaarman

Stamppot with carrots and onions is "hutspot".

By the way, I am a vegetarian, so I leave out the meat. However, I recognize rookworst (smoked sausage) as an essential ingredient for others' stamppot. And I use sunflower oil instead of heavier things.

My favorite vegetable for stamppot is endive.

--

Chris (Amsterdam, NL)

3. maartent

It is of course "peen en uien" in the language of the region around The Hague

And about the gravy: it is essential and you make it very easy with frying that bacon or whatever it is (I prefer zuurkoolspek, don´t know the English name, which you don´t fry btw).

Add some water (or red wine) to the hot fat in the frying pan after removing the fried bacon. Stir on high fire until it gets brown: ready. Nothing to it.

Tidbit: If you add the rookworst with not too much water in the pan. it generally will burst. Better is to cook it in a separate pan with plenty of water, just below cooking point.

12. Steve Davies 3 Silver badge

so it is just...

Rumblethumps plus a bit of bacon and a Sausage (continental style not British).

Savoy cabbage and bacon (or shudder sprouts and bacon) are a good side dish.

With the right amount of seasoning for the Rumblethumps and a tasty sausage and lots of Broon Sauce it would be very edible.

13. Daniel von Asmuth
    Facepalm

In case you ever need to flee your native land

...remember this is what they feed to refugees in Holland and never pause to think that many Syrians are muslims or jews whose faith forbids them to eat treif.

Should you ever get down and out in the Low Countries, you could buy a 'rookworst' at a HEMA shop.

Stamppot is a generic term for a number of dishes which mash spuds with various vegetables and some meaty substance like lard, and they generally pour gravy over it because farmers need calories. The most famous variety is hutspot (not to be confused with Flemish hutsepot).

https://nl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hutspot

14. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Main Photo-RORSCHACH Test!

Why have you 'posed' the MEAT to look like a VAGINA?....WHY???

1. Anomalous Cowturd
      Joke

Re: Main Photo-RORSCHACH Test!

Looks like a butterfly to me.

So do all the others, mind...

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Main Photo-RORSCHACH Test!

With apologies to whichever comedian I am ripping this joke off:

"Great artist Rorschach. His pictures of women with big boobs are fantastic!"

15. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Gravy or chilli sauce, either sounds fine... just so long as you don't do a David Cameron by adding gentleman's relish to your bacon.

16. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Dutch cuisine

is not brilliant. Why every dish consists of mashed vegetables nobody knows.

Breakfast is bread with sugar on.

17. Jean-Paul

Rookworst

Rookworst is good, HEMA at Victoria station in London sells it as well. In the UK a Matteson classic sausage comes close but not quite there.

For me it has to be a rookworstje with the Hutspot, but a nice beef sausage with a stamp pot like Boerenkool.

Neither are post pub nosh, to me they are pre pub nosh as they provide an excellent base. Post pub nosh has to be trying to eat/empty a whole row at Febo before they can fill it up. Or een broodje Shoarma. Please don't even begin to compare it to the disgusting kebabs in the UK, this includes proper meat not just processed and formed rubbish offcuts.

18. Ugotta B. Kiddingme

ingredient proportions?

Excellent suggestion. I must try this soon. However, while I clearly understand that exact measurements aren't required, at least one general guideline would be helpful - specifically the ballpark estimate of the ratio of potato to "other veg". The rest I can work out on my own.

19. HW de Haan

Stamppot is not a post-pup neckfiller, the smoked sausage or Gelderse gekookte, a boiled sausage are though...

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon