back to article Symantec/GeoTrust revokes some SSL certificates for .pw TLD

Symantec-owned certificate authority GeoTrust has revoked some SSL certificates for a small number of (unspecified) .pw domains. Digital certificates for addresses using the top-level domain are still available from other providers. Symantec said it will continue to offer organisations extended validation certificates for the …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Once again, a delusional move...

If Symantec thinks (debate amongst yourselves) or believes that'll stop the spammers they're crazy. Most spammers are using injection mechanisms and not using direct connections, so SSL is pointless..

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

.pw 7; Symantec 472,688

It'll be a very long time before the *.*.pw TLD does as much harm as Symantec has achieved.

3. James 100

Bizarre move

As the AC says, banning spammers from getting Symantec SSL certs is hardly going to inconvenience them anyway - and they're still pushing the expensive EV ones, just stopping the cheaper regular ones...

I use a .pw for my personal email address - Sutherland is a common enough surname that the .com, .co.uk, .net etc were all long gone, but I managed to snag sutherland.pw for myself when it opened up. I'd hoped to get suther.land when .land was set up, but too slow again...

As for spam? I don't recall seeing any at all using .pw addresses anyway.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like