back to article Oz public service reminds staff: don't use work e-mails on 'affair' sites

The Australian public service has weighed in on the Ashley Madison hack, warning government staff not to register with their work e-mails or use office 'net connections. At the same time, however, the Australian Public Service Commission (APSC) has cast doubt on the veracity of at least some of the e-mails published in the …

1. MrZoolook
    WTF?

Is it just me... or...

... does anyone else think that anyone using these kinds of sites with publicly funded, government issued accounts and/or equipment, should be fired - not for moral reasons exactly, but for GROSS FUCKING MISCONDUCT!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Is it just me... or...

Why stop there? Checking Facebook at work - Fired !; Twittering - Out !; Reading online Newspaper - gone !; reading an article on The Reg that is not work related - Canned ! Emailing your wife about what to pick up for dinner .... See where this could lead? Everybody does it, let's not get too judgmental of those that were just looking for someone to "connect with" (unsuccessfully by most accounts).

2. Steven Roper

Not grounds for dismissal, no

But if you do work in the public service and use your work email to sign up to an "inappropriate" site, you'll likely find yourself transferred to an office in Meekatharra or Wilcannia...

3. John Tserkezis

I really don't get this all-or-nothing approach of "less than reputable use" of company internet.

Why can't they do what we used to, if you go through our VPN (to get not only our internal servers, but work internet access as well), we're forced to go through a proxy server that filters everything going in and out. This is sensible. Most of what we block is supplied via our filter software supplier, but we have full control to take out or put in filters too. Again, holy shit would you believe it, this is sensible.

The only reason I see for this (user's) stance is since you shouldn't take a hard-line approach (visit site X and you get fired), you should leave the entire company email and web access free for all. I'm guessing these idiot users have it "good" as things stand, and don't want to lose it.

Well, it's only a matter of time before you're IT people learn what they're doing and block it after all. Only a matter of time.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon