back to article Roll up, roll up, as LG launches stealthy Bluetooth keyboard

A keyboard which rolls up four rows of almost full-sized keys into a stick has been launched by LG at the IFA trade show. The tablet market might be in the doldrums, but LG sees tablet accessories as a way to make money out of it. It almost had a good name – “LG’s Rolly Keyboard” – but then LG went and ruined it with the …

1. This post has been deleted by its author

1. John Robson Silver badge

Looks like it folds, rather than rolls - so assuming there is a decent locking mechanism on the fold it could be OK.I use a Think Outside Stowaway keyboard - it folds in half with a Psion5 like Z hinge - which mean it's solid in use, no folding as you type.

1. sorry, what?
        Pint

Hmmm...

Looking at the photo showing the side, I'd say it folds the four rows to make a square "tube" next to the bar at the back, so making the "stick" more of a "plank" as it looks like it would have a rectangular cross-section. The "stow it" photo carefully shows just one aspect and doesn't let you see the full length.

Still, it looks kinda sturdy and fairly portable. Could be quite decent.

2. John Robson Silver badge

Bad form - replying to myself, but hey...

I've now seen the video, and think that it would be unusable on anything other than a table, or similar firm surface. There doesn't appear to be any locking mechanism to stop it rolling up if you put it on your lap for instance, or hold it in one hand...

3. Rick Brasche

I had one of those for years

it finally started to wear out (a couple of the keys wouldn't work) and last I checked, they stopped making them. :( best portable keyboard ever IMHO

2. msknight

I'd be interested...

Is there a registration of interest page anywhere?

3. Boothy

Promo Vid of it in use

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-BOmdKWrBrs

Looks quite nice, and the keyboard isn't bad either ;-)

1. TheOldGuy

Re: Promo Vid of it in use

Indeed!

1. sorry, what?
        Meh

Re: Promo Vid of it in use

Given the example use in the video, which does nicely show how it is a "stick" when rolled up, who would use this instead of a flat bluetooth keyboard the same size as the tablet in use? The one feature that might be missing on these standard bluetooth keyboards is the dual connection thing...

4. RockBurner

Missed opportunity!!

They need to add a c***-mouse.

https://xkcd.com/243/

1. dave 158

Does anyone know of a replacement/bluetooth keyboard with a nub ? had one, broke it :-(

ta

5. theOtherJT Silver badge

Hmmm... not sure, personally.

I mean, it looks quite nice, but it still won't fit in a jacket pocket, which means it's going to have to go in a bag. If I've gone to the trouble of a bag, I've probably got a laptop with me and won't need it.

Maybe I'm asking the impossible given the size the actual keys are required to be in order for it to be any use, but what I really want is a keyboard that packs up to be about the same size as my phone so I can keep phone in left inside pocket and keyboard in right inside pocket, and leave the damn laptop bag at home.

Re: Hmmm... not sure, personally.

I use a Think Outside Stowaway Universal Bluetooth Keyboard

Model XTBT01

Unfortunately I don't think they are available any more - but if you see one on ebay then jump on it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=awJyCPtlNOI

1. Rick Brasche

Re: Hmmm... not sure, personally.

yeah, they were awesome keyboards. But you can't get em anymore.

last one I had, I paid $80 USD for a *used* one that gave me about 2 years before it started having keys that wouldn't respond.

the only thing bad about the unit is the fact they're not being made :(

6. BasicChimpTheory

No number row?

Possibly acceptable if a long press activates numbers. Deal-breaker if Fn (or similar) is required.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Oh no, an extra key press, however will you survive.

2. John Robson Silver badge

It's amazing how quickly I've got used to having numbers on a Fn-row, then again alot of symbols are on "the other" Fn-row as well...

It was something I was concerned with when I bought the keyboards, but it's not something that I even notice any more.

3. captain veg Silver badge

Re: No number row?

Consider yourself lucky not to be French. On AZERTY keyboards the top row is accented characters. You have to press Shift (or Caps Lock) to get numbers.

They're hopeless for coding, too. Common symbols like \ need use of the right-hand Alt key.

Now you know why Philippe Kahn had to move to California.

7. Sykobee

Ultimately, these keyboards seem to be a solution to the fact that tablet computers aren't laptops.

If you need a laptop, then maybe buy a laptop. They come in very slim form factors these days.

OTOH, once you've made the mistake of buying a tablet, this keyboard is a good compact solution for some people, and other people will get foldable keyboards, and other people will get flat keyboards.

Not everyone is you

A tablet is more than enough for 99% of people - these keyboards are a good input device.

Heck 99% of the time my laptop keyboard isn't used, because it's sat at work with a dekstop keyboard (and two monitors) plugged in. Ironically that means that the screen isn't used either.

My tablet on the other hand is pretty much alweays with me, and the keyboard is with me most of the time - when I want to write longer messages I open up the keyboard, easy.

Most of my tablet usage doesn't need the extra bulk. Emails/messages are relatviely short and the on screen keyboard is perfectly good enough for that.

Browsing requires minimal typing, again the on screen keyboard is fine.

I've not come across a laptop that boasts all day battery life, a mobile data connection, and fits in my pocket. The iPad mini2/3 does that easily - the keyboard can sit in another pocket, and I'm sorted.

Heck most of the time I don't even bring my "work" laptop to work (I'm permanently onsite and have a customer company laptop which tends to stay on site as well) because my iPad does everything I need (and more)

2. theOtherJT Silver badge

For me they'd be a solution to the fact that you can't buy a phone with a bloody sliding keyboard anymore, and trying to do SSH on a touch screen whilst { on a train / at a family wedding you can't leave but work are cross / in the pub and hell if I'm going back to my office at 6.30 on Friday just to flush the webserver cache again } is a massive pain in the ass.

In a pinch you can use them to type emails that require more than the 2 or 3 sentences on can manage on a touch screen before wanting to smash it into pieces and feed it to whatever bastard decided that phones don't need LITTLE SLIDING KEYBOARDS.

TL;DR: I want my little sliding keyboard back :(

1. Fred Flintstone Gold badge

For me they'd be a solution to the fact that you can't buy a phone with a bloody sliding keyboard anymore

Hmm, if you look up "sliding keyboard" on Amazon there quite a few phone cases that offer that, maybe that will help? Certainly better than trying to run an SSH session with an onscreen keyboard, that is IMHO the height of pointlessness..

1. dave 158

Samsung Tab3 with 3g - 7 inch screen, works as a phone, quite happily use it to dial into work when needed. Phone, ebook reader, media player, remote connection device - 85 quid second from Game.

Now if someone can make me a real ink pen with a bluetooth phone set in it, I'm sorted.

8. cd

Anyone make one of these with backlighting?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like