back to article Enjoy vaping while you still can, warns Public Health England

Yesterday's review by Public Health England on vaping made front-page news, shaming much of the professional health clerisy and the mainstream media, both of whom have campaigned to discourage use of the nicotine delivery tech. But the newspapers splashed with something Public Health England didn't recommend – e-cigs on …

Page:

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Ban them!! Ban them all!!!

Why should anyone let the truth get in the way of a good headline?

Anything that involves the word "ban" is always good for the attention challenged masses. Doesn't matter if there's a grain of truth in it or not.

1. A K Stiles
      Stop

Re: Ban them!! Ban them all!!!

What I wish they would ban is the adverts that I've started to see which appear to attempt to show 'vaping' as a cool and sophisticated thing to do. I have no issue with people using them as a much safer (for them and for me) alternative to smoking but I do think this sort of advertising is wrong.

I also think that if the (successive) governments were serious about getting people to stop smoking then they'd legislate to gradually increase the minimum age of a smoker so that e.g. nobody born in the 21st century would ever be able to smoke legally, so by around 2100 it would be effectively illegal for everyone (give or take a handful of belligerent OAPs).

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

They should have a consistent policy and ban all recreational drugs, including fags and booze, or let us all make informed choices on whatever we choose to do and accept that some of us will make bad ones.

1. Old Handle

Don't forget coffee and tea, those are recreational drugs too.

2. annodomini2
        FAIL

Yes because banning something legally prevents it from being used!

Just like the 'War on drugs'

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Speaking of which, this isn't about nicotine at all. This is about marijuana.

Nicotine vaping is _great_ cover for open sales of vaporizers for marijuana use.

2. eesiginfo

Only that there is more than just a grain of truth to the calls for them to be banned.

...... Governments around the world are very hostile to e-cigs, and somehow manage to get the backing of major medical organisations (the BMA for example).

It doesn't take a great deal of testing to know that inhaling synthetically produced food products and nicotine, are going to be non-dangerous, as compared to inhaling some 4,000 dangerous toxins.

Draw a bar graph with tobacco at 100% dangerous......... e-cigs wouldn't even show up on the chart.

In fact the graph could be made up of other dangerous consumable items, like peanuts, chicken, beefburgers, alcohol, shellfish, fizzy drinks.

In terms of safe consumption..... comparing tobacco to e-cigs, is utterly ridiculous.

Tobacco kills millions of people each year; e-cigs have killed nobody, and other than an extreme reaction to say nicotine, it's highly unlikely they will ever kill anyone.

So why are governments against them?

Probably because they will impact upon tobacco sales.

These not only bring in vast sums in tax revenue, (£15b 2012/13) but they also help kill off the unproductive members of the population.

This group of people are retired, and they are primary users of state health, welfare, and pensions.

State pension alone is £115.95 per week, multiplied by 100k deaths x 52 = £603m

Add in individual health and welfare requirements, and this figure balloons into an enormous positive on the balance sheet.

Sure there are some health costs to smoking, but these have little impact on the £15b tax revenue, and are likely well covered by the gains from early deaths.

Overall, from a financial perspective.... can you blame governments for taking this line?

In France..... going with the flow of protesting tobacconists was an easy decision to take.

Calls for banning e-cigs, is sadly a fact of life.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

It's very much a moral crusade and very little about public health.

Vapping is almost certainly safer then breathing the air in London on a warm day with little wind. And almost definitely safer then breathing the air while cycling in London traffic.

1. h4rm0ny

Still unpleasant to smell though. Was in a restaurant in London a while back and some American guy (vapourizers weren't as known over here then) pulled out his e-cig and started puffing clouds of the stuff over to our table. Seemed to think that because it wasn't actually a cigarette it was suddenly fine to use indoors in a place filled with non-smokers.

1. Schultz

"Still unpleasant to smell though"

Not my experience, I recently had my first encounter with somebody vaping and I didn't notice any smell. But then the vaping habits of different people may vary and maybe some inhale and others puff.

2. LucreLout

Still unpleasant to smell though

No worse than cheap perfume in my view.

1. h4rm0ny

"No worse than cheap perfume in my view"

I wouldn't like it if someone kept inhaling and blowing cheap perfume at me, either.

Point is, it's not suddenly a way for smokers to disregard others around them like the old days when smoking in restaurants was normal.

1. LucreLout

@Harmony

I wouldn't like it if someone kept inhaling and blowing cheap perfume at me, either.

Presumably you're ok with limiting the size of bottles and the amount that can be dispersed in one hit then? There's not a day goes by where I'm not greeted by the scent of a woman apparantly dragged backwards through the Boots perfume counter.

Point is, it's not suddenly a way for smokers to disregard others around them like the old days when smoking in restaurants was normal.

Anti-smokers making a song and dance about vaping is exactly that same behaviour though. Disregard for others.

Passive smoking has never been proven to damage health, though lets face it, it quite likely does. Passive vaping does not. The stuff in e-cigs is just the same base content as your local nightclub/theatre/bands smoke machine, with nicotine added, before it gets scrubbed by the vapers lungs, and some flavouring that you detect as scent. Whatever you're eating at the restaurant will almost certainly be worse for your health, and whatever perfume you've selected will be offputting to a similar quantity of people as the vaper.

Live and let live.

3. LionelB Silver badge

"Still unpleasant to smell though."

Depends on the flavour. A common experience among vapers is that at some point it occurs to you that you don't really need a tobacco flavour. Mint or fruit flavours seem to be popular.

(Personally, I would welcome a ban on the deployment of patchouli in a public space.)

1. Triggerfish

No oit can still be unpleasant seems to me there's to types a vapours present at work, those who have the normal vaper and those who are getting into the turbo charged custom versions, the normal ones are pretty inoffensive, the turbosized ones produce huge amounts of smoke that fills up the room we work in (literally hiding the prson vaping when they exhale). Its like being under assualt at a perfume counter during Christmas.

4. Dr. Mouse

Still unpleasant to smell though. Was in a restaurant in London a while back and some American guy (vapourizers weren't as known over here then) pulled out his e-cig and started puffing clouds of the stuff over to our table. Seemed to think that because it wasn't actually a cigarette it was suddenly fine to use indoors in a place filled with non-smokers.

Still an unpleasant smell though. Was in a restaurant a while back and some woman sat close to me reeking of cheap perfume. She seemed to think that because it was perfume it was acceptable to pollute the air with it, and splashed yet more of it all over herself every time she went to "powder her nose". She even got the bottle out at the table and sprayed yet more of the noxious substance on herself.

The second statement is as good an argument for banning women from wearing perfume in enclosed public spaces as the first is for banning vaping in enclosed public spaces. Would a restaurant ask a woman to leave if she was wearing a perfume that a couple of diners found it unpleasant? Or a man with cheap aftershave? If not (and most wouldn't) then why would you ask someone to stop vaping?

Smoking is a different case altogether, as there are health risks associated with second hand smoke.

In short, using the argument of "it smells" is no argument for the backing of a ban. Using it as such is an authoritarian approach, attempting to force your own will onto other people. Come up with some real evidence for a health risk and I will support such a ban.

1. Triggerfish

@ Dr Mouse

Actually if she got the perfume out and started spraying it around in a massive cloud I would have no problems with objecting.

Try looking up power vaping on youtube, it's a bit more antisocial than e-cig types.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g5GNFD6GjhM

2. A Known Coward

As studies have shown, drivers in London are exposed to considerably more fumes and pollution than cyclists primarily because pollutants that enter the vehicle build up in the enclosed space. Other factors include air intakes on vehicles being at the level of the exhaust pipe of the vehicle in front of them and cyclists being exposed to moving air and being higher off the ground.

3. John Latham

"Almost certainly"

I spoke to a GP about this, her position was that there is not enough time/evidence to say that vaping is safe. That's the sort of careful opinion I expect to someone belonging to a profession with a memory of prescribing thalidomide. That's not to say vaping should be controlled, just don't expect any health professional to be jumping up and down with enthusiasm about it.

1. SundogUK Silver badge

Re: "Almost certainly"

No one believes or cares whether vaping is 'safe.' Vaping is SAFER. That's all that counts.

1. Timmy B

The issue is that do we legislate to stop or limit something that isn't safe when we allow something more dangerous....... No - this situation doesn't apply to any other - ahem - smoking related subject.....

2. h4rm0ny

>>"No one believes or cares whether vaping is 'safe.' Vaping is SAFER. That's all that counts"

Obviously it's safer than traditional cigarettes - by far. The question of whether it's "safe", which lets face it nothing really is, matters because if it becomes accepted as harmless it will be promoted widely by Big Pharma who stand to make a fortune out of something that is still essentially a highly addictive drug. It's not even a fun one, really. Just something you keep needing. Being able to sell addictive cigarettes but without being damned as cancer-causing devils? Every big pharma company's dream. The new Prrozac.

So the question of whether it is "safe" matters very much.

3. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

People who don't smoke at all care when vapers suddenly feel entitled to completely disregard the fact anyone around might not want to be subjected to it.

The 2 most popular brands of 'e-juice' have been found to contain chemicals that are not safe to be inhaled and those are the ones that are supposed to be legitimate. People who choose to vape seem oblivious to the complete lack of safety testing or regulation. Even if there had been any study into the long term effects, they arn't safe if you are inhaling poison instead of what is supposed to be in there.

e-cigarettes might be a good alternative to smoking but only if the vapours are legit and if people consider that non-smokers still don't want to be breathing it in.

1. amanfromarse

>The 2 most popular brands of 'e-juice' have been found to contain chemicals that are not safe to be inhaled and those are the ones that are supposed to be legitimate.

Absolute bollocks. You're parrotting tabloid crap.

2. The Indomitable Gall

" The 2 most popular brands of 'e-juice' have been found to contain chemicals that are not safe to be inhaled and those are the ones that are supposed to be legitimate. "

The last time I read a report of this type, the leading vape brands responded by pointing out that the study had heated the wick to higher than normal operating temperature, and had burnt the product. The temperature in the study was in the public domain and the manufacturer's claims appeared sound.

You wouldn't accuse a cake mix of containing "carcinogenic black carbon" on the grounds you'd turned your oven up too high and left the cake in too long, would you...?

3. Fraserrr

'The 2 most popular brands of 'e-juice' have been found to contain chemicals'...

Care to share your source on that? Or was it just another made up thing you've read somewhere?

4. Mage Silver badge
          Devil

But what are the real figures?

Are these being taken by people who were not smokers?

How much safer?

Does the advertising of them glamorise smoking?

What success rate have they as an aid to giving up smoking?

Nicotine is a deadly poison. Not a recreational drug.

What other impurities are in the liquid?

What are nearby people getting?

How much polonium is there in them? Where does the nicotine come from.

5. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

I wouldn't say you could claim vaping is safer. The problem with vaping is there are so many different products with variable degrees of product quality. Many of the manufacturers seem not very interested in the safety of their products. Some for example are using diacetyl which can cause popcorn lung. At the moment it is all a bit wild west with vaping. I think there does need to be better regulation of the equipment and liquids to ensure that they are as safe as possible. There also needs to be more investigation in the health effects before claims can be made about the safety.

2. Probie

Well by your GP's standards there would not be enough evidence or time to state that vaping is unsafe.

3. Andrew Orlowski (Written by Reg staff)

"I spoke to a GP about this, her position was that there is not enough time/evidence to say that vaping is safe. "

My GP said something similar to me. When I asked for the basis for his caution, he cited "science in the BMJ" which I knew to be opinion pieces.

It's a group practice, so I changed my GP. I'd advise anyone else faced with the same kind of clueless moralising twerp to do the same.

Eventually Doctors who have no interest in health will find the audience/patients they deserve.

1. Triggerfish

All the pieces are opinion pieces, you did a thourough review and made sure? Must have taken a while to work your way through. Hows your opinion on vaccinations?

4. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

There is considerable evidence that drinking ethanol is harmful to health and is an acknowledged public safety concern.

Any plans for an Eu ban on cross border traffic of wine and beer?

5. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

I do not know what their official position would be but every medical professional I have dealt with at the sharp end of fixing smokers and related consequences have advocated vaping over smoking. No professional can say anything is entirely safe is how one surgeon put it to me.

4. Dr. Mouse

Tempering my comment towards the cautious side, E-Cigs are a relatively new product which require further study to assess and possible health concerns.

That said, they are inevitably* going to be many times less dangerous than smoking tobacco products. Every person who moves from smoking to e-cigs will be better off, health-wise, even if they keep using the e-cig indefinitely without reducing their nicotine content. These devices should be encouraged.

Also, they are not medical devices, were never designed to be and were never promoted as such. They are recreational products, a substitute for tobacco. Why the **** should they be treated and regulated as medical devices? It will destroy innovation in the sector and, likely, destroy the sector. Only Big Pharma will have the resources to make them and we have all seen how good the pharmaceutical industries NRT products are. They will go from a vibrant, innovative product to a clinical mess in no time flat, with people forced to either accept the inferior Big Pharma versions or go back to smoking.

The e-cig portions of the TPD are insanity on a bewildering scale. All I can think is that there was some serious lobbying from the Tobacco industry (loosing out due to people not buying as many cigs) and Big Pharma (loosing out due to lower sales of their inferior products). It's similar to the music industries recentish problem: They were loosing out to pirates, as pirates were offering what the consumers wanted (convenient access to music). Rather than improve their own game, they got the governments to crack down on the pirates. Only this time it's worse: Rather than illegal operations disrupting the market, it's legitimate, innovative businesses, and rather than the result being less convenience, it will be deaths.

Of course, the cynic in me can also see governments worrying about the loss of tax revenue...

*I recently watched Team America again for the first time in years. Now I can't hear or type the word 'inevitably' without hearing Kim Jong-Il saying 'inebitabry'...

1. Bob Dole (tm)
        Megaphone

There are several groups whose interests are aligning on this. Tobacco companies, governments in the form of tax revenue, and special interest groups that want smoking to just go away.

Companies, especially those who have been in business for a long time are highly resistant to change. So they naturally will try to push legislation to make sure no one can disrupt their business. Governments have very high taxes on smoking and are dependent on those taxes. The last group, needs no definition.

So here comes an unknown quantity. No one really knows if it's better or not. It certainly smells better to non smokers and people seem to actually use it as a gateway to quit the addiction. It also doesn't have even 1% of the chemicals that regular cigs have. All plusses.

The downside is that smaller entities can easily jump in and there's no taxing mechanism for it. So tobacco and governments naturally want to regulate it into oblivion.

Me, I am just tired of it. Specifically I'm tired of people making laws to regulate crap when they don't have a clue as to whether the regulation is helpful to your normal citizen.

Let's have a few honest studies. Every one I've read so far has been pseudo science at best with plenty of conclusions that are misleading, not supported by the facts or even incapable of being replicated because critical information was left out. Sometimes all three at once.

Ar this point, I do think the products should have oversight similar to the food industry. Namely that all of the ingredients should be clearly listed on the labels. Which, honestly, even regular cig manufacturers should be forced to do that. Regarding the tobacco itself, that should require a license to sell and be limited to only 18+ ( or whatever the age of majority is in your country).

From a governmental perspective - change the tax laws to tax nicotine on a per mg basis. Instead of targeting just cigarettes, target everything that contains nicotine.

For those that want to tell other people what they can or cannot do smoke/ingest/inhale: piss off. If someone wants to ingest nicotine then that's their business.

1. skeptical i

but what are people actually vaping?

That was my concern, not to regulate the bejabbers out of vaping juice or devices, but to have some quality control so that shady operators can't simply put cherry-flavoured whatever out there with a pretty label.

5. Timmy B

So fix the London air!. Just because it's safer than something doesn't mean it's right. The preferable option is cleaner air everywhere....

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"So fix the London air!"

I think most of us non-Londoners would prefer to see a wall of steel shuttering errected slightly inside the M25 and London just covered with a nice smooth layer of concrete.

6. Mage Silver badge
      Coat

However ...

I suspect they are partly a trojan to promote smoking!

The previously advert free cabinets in local shops now prominently display pretty women "smoking", with the "electronic" part of the text more faded.

A major tobacco company is promoting them.

They are sold in novelty shops.

There is also the general problem of policing CE marks.

7. John Brown (no body) Silver badge
      Facepalm

Hypocracy?

"Vapping is almost certainly safer then breathing the air in London"

Not if you work for DEFRA! Their "smoking" policy bans the use of e-cigs and tells you to stand out in the "designated smoking area" to use them.

Yeah, great. I'm not sure how that jives with their smoking cessation policy. Send the people trying to give up out into the same place the real smokers are using and let them suck in all that passive cancer inducing smoke.

Actually, it's worse. IIRC the wording on the policy is something along the lines of "electronic cigarettes or other tobacco substitutes." I'm not sure of the exact wording but it's loose enough that anyone using a prescription substitute such as patches or gum is also caught by their rules. Law of unintended consequences strikes again. No doubt they'll say that patches and gum are allowed, but then that comes down to a subjective judgment and bending the rules from the strict letter.

3. Annihilator

Nicotine-free?

Funny there seems little mention of the users of e-cigarettes that have weaned off to 0 nicotine liquids. You would think that would be championed.

1. Grifter

Re: Nicotine-free?

That's what I did. I don't vape much anymore, a couple of days per year maybe, if that. The compulsion to smoke went away with vaping, and then compulsion disappeared, it became an intermittent pleasure. Now the hassle of cleaning my tanks and charging batteries keep my gear in the corner. I view it like candy or chips now, albeit a tad more meckish to set up.

4. Richard Wharram

This is why

http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/news/health/put-cancer-in-e-cigarettes-say-non-smokers-2014021983765

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Why should they ban them?

Well perhaps it's because the majority in the BBC and in Wales don't want to sit there whilst adults put plastic dummy substitues in their mouth, suck toffee flavoured (and smelling) nicotine in, and waft noxious chemicals still stinky out. Same as I'd rather people not have fish and chips or curry for lunch in small spaces.

Not noxious chemicals you say? Really what tests prove that all of them are not wafting noxious chemicals out and are safe. Are all the vapers going through that test?

Most e-cigs seem to be from China, with dodgy CE marks on them and are doubtful electrically, let alone what they are actually doing with the chemicals put in them.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Why should they ban them?

"Most e-cigs seem to be from China, with dodgy CE marks on them and are doubtful electrically, let alone what they are actually doing with the chemicals put in them."

Any evidence for that hysterical claim?

Remember - you've said "most", so we're looking at >50% of all e-cigs to be dodgy and containing more than nicotine and vapour...

1. graeme leggett Silver badge

The dossier references a BIS study that found that "

eight out of 17 EC did not have a charging cut-off device and therefore did not meet the requirements of BS EN 62133:2013"

which is nearly half.

2. ceedee

The PHE report details four tests of 'expired' vapour (pages 64-65) and concludes:

Electronic cigarettes "...release negligible levels of nicotine into ambient air with no

identified health risks to bystanders."

Not that you'd let real evidence get in the way of your uninformed rant...

3. Fraggle850

Those are valid points, particularly the dodgy Chinese manufacturing, however assuming I'm a responsible vaper (which I'm not, I smoke proper fags like an effing chimney) and don't pollute your airspace then I assume you've no problem with me doing so?

4. badger31

@AC - What a bell-end of a comment. Vaporising is one of the most effective ways of getting smokers off cigarettes there has ever been. They remove ~99% of the harmful stuff, leaving only the practically harmless nicotine (less harmful than the related chemical caffeine). I have many friends who were unhealthy smokers who are now much healthier vapers. I've been in confined spaces with them and smelt nothing at all because there's nothing to smell. In a modern free society we should be able to as we choose, so long we aren't harming anyone. People inhaling nicotine vapours are not harming anyone, not even themselves compared to smoking cigarettes. If you are personally offended by then, you can personally piss off.

1. Timmy B

You know what the 100% way of banning smoking in public places of any kind would be. Ban it. So what it goes underground and follows other illegal drugs. You know the effective way of quitting smoking is. YOU STOP! Just grow a pair and stop - use some mental strength and stop. It's what I did. I decided to stop and I stopped. I am not offended by them - I simply don't want to partake of their chemicals. How would you like it if somebody walked up to your half finished pint of beer and topped it up with orange juice - after all it's still a drink but better for you......

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon