back to article Foxconn to build 1,500-acre, US$5billion complex in India

Foxconn and the Indian state of Maharashtra have announced a relationship that will see the contract manufacturing company spend up to US$5 billion on a colossal manufacturing complex. In a deal announced on Saturday by Maharashtra chief minister Devendra Fadnavis and Foxconn (known as Hon Hai in its Taiwan home ) founder and …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"Indian facilities may be a few more sea-days from the USA... blah blah blah"

So? They also halve the distance from what is by far the world's greatest economic bloc.

1. James 51
    2. Tom Samplonius

"So? They also halve the distance from what is by far the world's greatest economic bloc."

Well, I assume you mean the EU. But you maybe check your atlas first, because if India is only a few more sea days from the US, it means it is only a few sea days closer to the EU.

But also, you are underestimating the damage the EU economic crisis is having. If you take a typical international manufacturer like Samsung, 69% of their sales are in the Americas and 52% in the EU (2013 numbers from Samsung's 2014 Facts and Figures report).

1. David Roberts

"But also, you are underestimating the damage the EU economic crisis is having. If you take a typical international manufacturer like Samsung, 69% of their sales are in the Americas and 52% in the EU (2013 numbers from Samsung's 2014 Facts and Figures report)."

Where are their other 123% of sales, then?

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

It's remarkable, even with some hindsight how quickly manufacturing is and has moved from traditionally low cost (such as Taiwan and China) to new countries where costs have not (yet) inflated

1. Mark 85

Cutting through the rhetoric of the "why India was chosen", it probably does boil down to wages first. Otherwise, every country on the planet would offer them land and tax incentives. Well, maybe not some of the Middle East or African war-zones....

1. Infernoz Bronze badge
        Holmes

It's all about wages, because China is obviously becoming too expensive for outsourced manufacturing for (too) greedy suppliers, like say fruity and other parasitic corporations.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Did anyone else think...

... that the round blue thing in the middle of the flag/pic was the actual facility? :)

4. Elmer Phud

They are learning from us

Sometime back, us Brits got fed up with trying to make the whole of China into opium addicts and moved operations in to India.

Maybe the Chinese labour force is becoming too expensive and Foxconn needs cheaper peeps.

5. msknight
    Coat

So...

Who's won the contract to supply the suicide netting?

Surely they know what they're letting themselves in for, right?

1. JeffyPoooh
      Pint

Re: So...

1500 acres. One vast building, just a single story tall.

"I will end it all..." Leap-thud. "Ouch.."

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: So...

With a little light eve tapering and judicious embanking there needn't be any drop at all...

6. ilithium

I wonder what the employment laws in India are like, compared to China's - and whether we'll see a repeat of some of the awful treatment of staff that we've seen by Foxconn (and others)

7. W Donelson

and within ten years or so....

... the UK and USA will be the preferred SWEAT SHOP OF THE RICH.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Amazing....

... people can still undercut robots.

9. Kurt 4
    Boffin

Ramping up to build my next Windows Phone I see.

10. kate sisco

Wondering where the 1500 acres is coming from? Well, the elite have tested the waters and got a vigorous response from the small farmer so a more devious plan was put forward.

India is the second highest exporter of meat. Amazing isnt it. The buffalo provides high protein milk and meat, is the indispensable backbone of of the farm, provides dowry, and keeps itself on top of everything. Send in unscrupulous buyers and hoodwink the farmer out of the only way he can farm. I might add that the long promoted small business for women only supports the idea concept of moving farm families off the desirable land into crowded cities.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like