back to article Apple splashes dough to keep Big Cheese safe

Apple spends $699,133 every year to keep chief exec Tim Cook safe, far, far higher than his modest life insurance premium of $2,500, according to an official document. The big figure isn't broken down and comes from a proxy statement filed with the Securities and Exchange Commission. This amount represents: (i) the Company’s …

1. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

McAffee

Used to pay a similar amount for security to keep the world safe from its CEO

2. The Man Who Fell To Earth Silver badge
    WTF?

Not much

Anyone who has been in management in a US company knows that $700k per year is only 3-4 FTE's, once you include benefits, overhead and G&A on their salaries.

3. CraPo

Learnt a new word

"perquisite" - nice

1. Anonymous Blowhard

Re: Learnt a new word

It's the origin of the work "perk" (meaning a non-cash benefit of some kind) as in "perks of the job"; unusual to see it used though.

2. pompurin

Here was me thinking you'd spelt Prerequisite wrong.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"perquisite" - nice

I guess in finance it'll be porcuisite? :)

4. Anonymous Blowhard

"the $1.5m Oracle spent on security for its former chief exec, Larry Ellison"

And yet he still gets out!

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I was Monty's double.

For additional piece of mind 'Lookie Likies' could be employed as well. I'm sure that there are plenty of Tim Cook 'doubles' out there who would be prepared to take a knife or a bullet for such a great man.

1. WikusVanDeMerwe

Re: I was Monty's double.

Plenty that don't even resemble him would take that bullet and ask for more, such is the grip..

2. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

Re: I was Monty's double.

Anybody that looks like an Apple exec has already been sued for patent infringement

6. Mark 85

Given the state of things...

I would assume that any bodyguard would take the money and do their job. But I somehow suspect that they wouldn't take a bullet for the "customer".

Disclaimer: When young and stupid and a Marine, yes.. I would have. But lately... nope. Outside of my wife, no CEO or elected official that I can think of off the top of my head would be worth it.

7. Erik4872

$700K is -nothing-

Apple is a public company and has to report stuff like this. I can't imagine what private companies stuff into executive compensation. Over the years of looking at job postings, etc. it's not uncommon to see large companies hiring an entire flight crew for their private jet fleet, security details, house cleaning services for the CEO, and others. We lowly employees don't get to write stuff like this into our contracts. $700K is a handful of ex-military security guys and part of an armored limousine.

One thing I'm not too keen about is execs basically getting their entire luxurious lives paid for by their company, then turning around and whining about paying taxes. Small business owners do this to a lesser extent too -- funneling their personal expenses through the corporation to reduce their net earnings and lower their tax bills, all while benefiting from the cars, houses, etc. that the company buys them. (Most companies hide this by giving "loans" and gradually forgiving them.)

8. chivo243 Silver badge

dough and cheese?

Souffle? Seems like a puffy story to me. 700g's? Apple? Gotta be some game on there.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Nothing compared to Dell's bunker

20+ years ago Michael Dell built a new home outside Austin for a reported $30M and Cook's price is cheap. Rumours had it that Dell had a rather large group to protect him in the papers of ex-paras and other Tom Swifties.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

he doesn't see it

Tim's a modest guy... see him around Palo Alto often. He lives in a small, unpretentious condo... (only $2-3 million for Palo Alto which translates to $500K anywhere else and looks it). Drives himself (albeit Porshe 911) to work and around town, etc. I suspect he'll one day give his money away because he really doesn't care about it. The guy lives the lifestyle of somebody earning $200-300K. That lifestyle may require a little extra effort from his handlers... but it's still cheaper than a fortress, security guard/chauffer, etc.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: he doesn't see it

He's on record this past spring saying he will donate his entire fortune to charity. He doesn't have any children, so there really isn't much else he can do with it, unless he went all Larry Ellison and commissions a yacht the size of the QE II.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like