back to article Email apparently from Home Office warns of emails apparently from Home Office

The Home Office has sent unsolicited emails to the public, warning that the Home Office will never send unsolicited emails to the public, and will not ask for personal information or passwords in an email. The lay-off happy government department warned the public to be wary of emails that appear to come from the Ministry of …

1. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

emails they deem suspicious

Well if I thought they really came from the home office then I would be cautious - but as long as they are only hackers.

1. RogerT

Re: emails they deem suspicious

I didn't even have to open my last letter from the revenue as it wasn't sealed which wouldn't be too bad except that my post goes through a private office.

I cannot understand the revenue's hatred of email. I would much prefer to communicate with them via email. And yes I have received one of their two week notices more than two weeks after the documents' date.

1. Jim Howes

> I cannot understand the revenue's hatred of email.

Or anything electronic for that matter. I recently convinced them to give me a refund in respect of job expenses, and my choices were

A) A cheque posted to my address or

B) Pay into bank sort code XX-XX-XX Account XXXXXXXXX

So I chose B, it's the twenty first century, and I can send money to another account in an hour without having to wait for banks to clear cheques, a process which which takes an annoying week (five working days, and you can't expect banks to work on weekends, despite the fact that I have for over twenty years now)

So, refund letter arrives, I check my bank. Nothing yet.

The following day, I check my bank. CHEQUE PAID IN A BOOTLE PAYMENT OPS

They paid in the cheque for me, but it still a *&(#$*ing cheque, and finally cleared today, a week after the letter they sent me.

while( !unconcious ) bang(head, wall);

1. Kubla Cant

Refunds

There's a similar irony in the new car tax (VED) system. You pay for your car tax online, and you no longer have to display a tax disc. +10 for belated arrival in the 21st century. But if you sell your car you have to apply for a refund of the remaining tax, which is sent as a cheque in the post. -10 for lack of follow-through.

I suspect that the offices of HMRC and DVLA are still like offices used to be half a century ago. For anything to do with paying out money you have to go to a cashier's office where a grumpy old geezer behind a barred window grudgingly writes out cheques using a dip pen.

("CHEQUE PAID IN A BOOTLE PAYMENT OPS" - I bet the cheque would clear quicker if it wasn't in a bottle.)

2. King Jack

@ Jim Howes

It is no accident. The DWP do the exact same thing only they mail the cheque to you. Despite the fact that you chose the option to get the money paid direct to your bank. The longer they keep your money, the more interest they make on it. When you get the cheque you have to walk to a branch and pay it in. They should be fined.

2. RogerT

I've suffered both from the revenue as well.

What gets me is the only way I can find to claim a refund is via a formal complaint.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

As we are mostly all techies and OCD logical, actually an email from source x reminding we should not trust an email is from source x, is completely fine, since the validity of the message is not dependent on the veracity of the source. Sorry, running counter to the humor and it is a funny article. Can't help myself. Sorry.

1. Pali Gap

..."completely fine, since the validity of the message is not dependent on the veracity of the source"

But what of sending unsolicited email stating "we never send unsolicted email"?

Epimenides the Cretan said: "All Cretans are liars"

2. John G Imrie

Theresa May ...

Finally disappears in a puff of logic.

Humm, that was easy. I wonder if I can prove that black is white.

1. Kane
      Coat

Re: Theresa May ...

"I wonder if I can prove that black is white."

Don't use that zebra crossing!

Mine's the dressing gown with the unfortunately shaped teastain down the front.

3. Your alien overlord - fear me

Reg readers know to never open *any* emails (or lertters) from HMRC

1. Andy Non Silver badge

I always have a sense of dread when a letter arrives from the HMRC. Something about those brown envelopes stamped HMRC that fills me with fear and trepidation. Huge sense of relief if they just turn out to be a new tax code notification rather than a demand or fine for not submitting some document on time that I've never heard about.

Emails or letters from hackers would be far less worrying.

1. Ben Tasker

I had that rollercoaster feeling last week.

Brown envelope turns up along with a sense of dread

Contains letter saying I've overpaid by a fair bit, sense of delight

Realising that's the money I'd been sending to offset my _next_ return, sense of dissapointment

4. Arthur the cat Silver badge

Not as funny as the original

"Spaf's" net news article on faking net news articles from 1988. (Yes, I am that old since you ask.)

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=50maN7VmpusC&pg=PT331&dq=spaf+net+news+april+fools&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0CCAQ6AEwAGoVChMI9sPc6977xgIVSxUsCh1LcQPe#v=onepage&q=spaf%20net%20news%20april%20fools&f=false

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Hi,

I am nigerian prince working for hmrc, pleasings give me your bank details and I bestow moneys left by your (insert relative) on you.

Many thankings,

Prince narthanial the 7th

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Prince, this is Tony Blair

Where's me dosh? If ya don't cough up soon yeez'll have UN sanctions.

6. Howard Hanek
    Holmes

Open Borders

Open borders.....open prison cells....its all the same isn't it? Just people seeking 'gainful employment' right? Don't worry about the culture. By the time the vultures have had their way 'culture' will be the least of our problems.

7. Turtle

Candor.

"The Home Office has sent unsolicited emails to the public, warning [...] the public to be wary of emails that appear to come from the Ministry of Justice or the Home Office."

This degree of candor from a government department is quite a rarity. This would seem to mark a new and commendable level of government transparency.

8. hplasm
    Alert

Aiiee!

Recursive spam!

Spam spam spam spam, etc.

1. Zog_but_not_the_first
      Headmaster

Re: Aiiee!

Just in passing, "Aiiee!" is a word (?) I've only even come across in comics. Where does it originate?

1. Henry Minute

Comics.

1. hplasm
          Happy

Beat me to it!

2. billse10

people's horror when they see the questions on the All India Engineering Entrance Exam?

1. Glenturret Single Malt

All India Industrial Engineering Entrance Exam, surely.

Or, onomatopoiea.

9. Mark 85

Oh the irony...

They sent an unsolicited email saying that they will never send an unsolicited email. How very Joseph Heller of them...

10. NanoMeter

We warn you...

"don't open our emails. They're fake"

"so why did you open this email?"

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Don't look Ethel

Too late, she looked.

12. Gavin Chester

Interesting given HMRC is often held up as a poster boy for DMARC adoption in the UK.

http://www.computerweekly.com/news/2240231320/Lets-reclaim-email-says-HMRC-cyber-security-head

Wonder if its one government department not talking to another, perish the thought,,,

13. Mike 16

Reminds me of the dressing-down

I got from the IT bods when I did not promptly act on an email consisting entirely of an attached Word(tm) document, at the height of panic about Word(tm) macro viruses. "But it's from the CEO". "Yes, it says it is, but the same batch of email contained a penis-pill spam 'from' stevcase@aol.com". He did not get the connection.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like