back to article Vive le Act Patriotique: Liberté, égalité, fraternité, pick any two. No, not those

France’s constitutional court (Conseil Constitutionnel) has ruled that the new French version of the Patriot Act is legal. The Projet de Loi Relatif au Renseignement was passed by the upper chamber of parliament earlier this month, but has attracted outspoken criticism from civil liberties organisations, who described it as “ …

1. Tom 38
    Joke

Le Charteur des Snoopeurs would allow spies to use International Mobile Subscriber Identity catchers to hoover up telephone data, and access emails and online communications of anyone suspected of being linked to terrorism without a court order.

Hah, so I just need to get some court ordered terrorism, and they won't be able to do JACK to me.

2. Khaptain Silver badge

Francais, Francaises,

Je vous en merde.

Monsieur F. Hollande.

1. Pascal Monett Silver badge

That would be emmerde.

I know, it's counter-intuitive.

3. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
    Big Brother

Left-wing politicians passing by on the far right?

Nothing special here. It's ok, they are the GOOD guys!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Holmes

Re: Left-wing politicians passing by on the far right?

Hmm... downvotes.

This seems apposite

Althusser’s picture of how the state works closely resembles what Foucault — who was not a Marxist and whose political positions were highly ambiguous — called the “power/knowledge regime,” and what some current neoreactionaries call “the Cathedral.” It’s interesting to see people from all over the political map exploring the subtle ways that State power works. There’s a reason for this. People who support using the disciplinary powers of the State against their enemies always assume that people like them will be in power forever. And on this point they are always wrong.

Pipe-smoking, leather-elbow tweed-wearing guy icon, because fuck you.

4. Pascal Monett Silver badge

"the new French version of the Patriot Act is legal"

Of course it is legal. They made it legal.

Moral it is not.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Joke

"Dutch MEP Sophie in ’t Veld"

Are you sure she's not from Yorkshire?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: "Dutch MEP Sophie in ’t Veld"

The northern provinces of the Netherlands make Yorkshiremen look like happy-go-lucky types. Their 'het kon minder' (it could be worse) is the highest form of praise for anything.

1. Intractable Potsherd

Re: "Dutch MEP Sophie in ’t Veld"

I'm originally from Yorkshire, and my wife (originally from another European country) has never been able to understand that when I say "Yeah, it's alright", that is the highest praise I can give. When she forces the issue, "Yes, it is wonderful" sounds sarcastic, and that's when the argument starts ...

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

You gotta love the EU!

Giving the green-light to the arrival of hordes of illegal immigrants (which the evidence strongly suggests includes ISIS operatives) through the preposterous quota system all the while infringing the human rights of genuine citizens in each member state.

All part of the elite's plan...

1. Hargrove

Re: You gotta love the EU!

Concur vehemently with the sentiment. However, regarding "The elite's plan . . ."

Not sure that they have one. The special interests that comprise the oligarchy before whom every government knee must bend are more akin to a swarm of termites, acting instinctively to consume and destroy.

And in a complete non sequitur. . . The title of this piece is pure genius.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Re. You gotta love the EU!

Sounds about normal, of course we dare not crititize the almighty "system" for fear of being labeled racist and fined/locked up/whatever they do to freethinkers these days.

1984 is *not* an instruction manual and if Herr Hollande thinks he can get away with this slithering monstrosity of a Bill he deserves to be hanged by the teeth over a vat of antimony pentafluoride in hydrofluoric acid, while bombarded with "Poker Face" and "Toxic" at 125dB on endless repeat.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like