back to article Regulator okays Optus exit from HFC network

The deal between nbnTM and Optus has taken another step towards regulatory approval, with the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission (ACCC) issuing a draft decision to let the deal go ahead. The two carriers have been waiting since December 2014 for the rubber-stamp. The deal will progressively transfer elements of …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

good but no way great

So this brings nbn provided broadband to an area where the HFC is already in place. So if you're living one street down where there's no what was Optus cable then you still have to wait for the proper NBN rollout and that could easily be years away. That is unless they fast track the areas which are close to the old cable network which I'd hope they'd do.

2. Magani
    Linux

What's going to happen?

As a current Optus cable customer, I'm really happy with my current plan.

Does anyone have any idea ('cos Optus won't say) what happens when I get 'given' to the NBN. Are all deals off or ???

Penguins are curious.

1. Richard Chirgwin (Written by Reg staff)

Re: What's going to happen?

Since this is often a question I get asked, it's worth an answer here: You can keep your current ISP relationship if you want - the NBN is a change of wholesaler.

Richard Chirgwin

Vulture South

2. aberglas

I don't know, but Turnbull just made a submission to the ACCC urging them not to reduce prices because people would not like the increase when they were forced to switch over to the NBN. So my guess is that your prices will not reduce (as they might have) and when the NBN comes you will get a bit higher bandwidth (which you don't need) for less download quota (which you do). But do not worry, it is the government that is paying for this change.

(The "NBN is a change of wholesaler" is meaningless, if the wholesale price increases then so will the retail price, obviously.)

3. -tim

Magani,

Your ISP's wholesale cost per megabit will go up quite a bit. The nbn might have to split some of the Optus segments which should speed up the network where local congestion is an issue. I wonder how they are are going to provided a wholesale network to existing Optus customers which are all currently on a network that has no ability to function as a wholesale network and can barely cope as a network allowing service resale.

3. mathew42
    FAIL

Wholesale pricing

The NBNCo Corporate Plan is based on ARPU rising steeply in future years. If you usage doesn't change then overtime prices should fall, but if you want faster speeds or larger quotas then expect to pay more.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like