back to article DEA agent slugged a MEELLION dollars for Silk Road snipe

Carl Mark Force, the Drug Enforcement Agency officer who in June took a plea bargain for misconduct during the Silk Road investigation, will lose a bunch of currency, both real and virtual. In a preliminary judgement filed on July 9, US District Judge Richard Seeborg has ordered that Force relinquish around 687 BitCoin held in …

1. DocJames

Good news story

Criminal loses the proceeds of their crime (and a bit more). Not sure why he is in solitary though - doesn't sound like it is for his own protection (DEA agent in prison probably not a low insurance risk) given his lawyers are asking for it to be lifted. Seems like the system turning on its own and providing a bit of extra-judicial punishment; depressing but not surprising.

1. Mark 85

Re: Good news story

Putting an LEO into the general population in a prison... any prison except maybe one of the "country clubs" like Martha Stewart and others have been in, is a death sentence. I'm thinking that someone (his lawyer?) doesn't like him or he has a suicide wish. The innuendo about "mental health issues" not being helped due lack of medication, etc. could be why.

1. Aitor 1

He is clearly a crimninal.. I don't think he will have soo many problems.

2. WatAWorld

I've read that contrary to what we all assume, cops do okay in US prisons

Over the years I've read that contrary to what we all assume, cops do okay in US prisons.

Surprising yes.

So why? My guesses:

They've had years of and decades of self-defense training, have years of practice fighting.

Plus the guards must actually do a good job of protecting incarcerated cops or face the wrath of police on the outside who are still patrolling highways looking for drunk drivers and defective vehicles.

For most/many US cops, the brotherhood doesn't end when a criminal conviction occurs. They'll still use their powers to protect one of their own, even one who has totally disgraced their profession.

2. NoneSuch Silver badge
      Coffee/keyboard

And this is only one of the government agents with access to your credit card, banking, cell phone, personal and sensitive information. This will only get worse until people start objecting to the complete and utter over-riding of peoples rights and freedoms in both the UK and USA.

Object to them and you are a terrorist.

2. Spaceman Spiff

Why the "war on drugs" will never succeed

Simply because our so-called enforcement agents are more corrupt than the dealers! They also have a vested interest in keeping the "war" running... Portugal has the right idea. It is time we stopped making hard drug possession a crime and treat it as the social disease that it is. Marijuana? Meh! It is less destructive than alcohol. It should be legalized world-wide. That would take billion$ out of the pockets of some of the worst criminals in the world at one go!

3. WatAWorld

Why does DEA hire people w serious mental health issues?

Why does DEA hire people serious* mental health issues?

Are they the only kind of people they can get?

(I can understand hiring people with minor mental health issues, that is a human rights issue. But major? For a job where they'll be carrying a gun?) For a job where they'll be carrying a gun and where credulous gullible jurors and judges will generally let them get away with committing pretty much any kind of violent crime?)

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon