back to article Pan Am Games: Link to our website without permission and we'll sue

The organisers of the Pan American Games in Toronto, which start this week, require that people seek formal permission to link to its website at toronto2015.org. Under the website's terms of use, amid piles of incomprehensible legalese seemingly designed to hide from the fact that social media exists, it is decreed that no one …

Page:

1. Anonymous Coward
    Trollface

Okay... let me be the first to do this here...

http://www.toronto2015.org/

1. Evil Auditor Silver badge

Re: Okay... let me be the first to do this here...

You forgot #TO2015

2. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

The first rule of Toronto - nobody can talk about Toronto

1. JeffyPoooh
        Pint

"...mockery..."

Well done!!!!

PS. Ashamed to be Canadian right about now. At least I'm a good two days drive from Toronto, which is just about enough.

PS2. It's also about two days to get to the further east point in Newf. And it's about two days from Toronto to the middle of Canada at Winnipeg. Let's review. If you're already two days from the extreme east, and you drive two more days then you'll reach Toronto, which is about two days from the middle of Canada. Big place.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Ex-Mayor of Toronto Rob Ford

Drugs and Anger Enthusiast Ex-Mayor of Toronto Rob Ford was recently seen piloting his over-sized ego and Escalade vehicle in the special lanes set aside for High Occupancy Vehicles, cars containing several people. He was with all his friends, i.e. alone. To be fair, he fills the vehicle all by himself.

Toronto. Sigh...

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

Re: Ex-Mayor of Toronto Rob Ford

I really hope the lawyers are going to follow up with nastygrams. That would be awesome. We might end up with a definitive number for the amount of ways it is possible to tell people to go fuck themselves. Valuable research.

2. skeptical i
            Devil

High Occupancy Vehicle: likely referring to both His Fordness' volume and blood pharmaceutical level, two for one, efficiency in government.

1. Anonymous Coward
              Anonymous Coward

With the voices in his head, it'd be pretty crowded with him by himself.

3. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

Surely you have plenty ammo to make jokes about him without resorting to jokes about his size...

2. andreas koch
          Devil

@ JeffyPooh - Re: "...mockery..."

I feel for you mate, I had a crappy slow car like that as well when I was 20 . . .

1. JeffyPoooh
            Pint

Re: @ JeffyPooh - "...mockery..."

@Koch "...when I was 20..."

When I was but a wee lad and had the inevitable hot hatch, I did ~2000 km commutes with an average speed... oh, never mind... ...overnight. Been there, done that, t-shirt and souvenir SOTs.

But now that I'm older and just happen to have a nice big loaded Mercedes that's got a couple of gears left when the hot hatches are all out of ideas, it somehow seems more pleasant to go about 1 Mm/day.

The big Merc is fully capable of shrinking Canadian provinces to the size of a small coconut, but I just can't be bothered, ...most of the time.

'Kock'? Ah, I think that Clarkson's been talking about you. :-)

1. andreas koch
              Happy

Ah, this is where I failed to understand; it isn't that you couldn't, you just don't bother. Thumbs up for that!

Oh, and it's "Koch". With a "ch". Rhymes with a scottish lake. Can't be that hard . . .

And that "Clarkson" that you mean is called May.

1. Chairo
                Joke

Oh, and it's "Koch". With a "ch". Rhymes with a scottish lake. Can't be that hard

Hmm, lake Lomond or lake Ness don't rhyme well.

Hmm, I better don't go to Scotland now, or they might force feed me haggis or throw with sheep.

2. The First Dave

You're wasting your time with that particular analogy - most English speakers truly believe that "Loch" and "Lock" are pronounced the same...

3. Anonymous Coward
          Trollface

Re: "...mockery..."

It's also about two days to get to the further east point in Newf. And it's about two days from Toronto to the middle of Canada at Winnipeg. Let's review. If you're already two days from the extreme east, and you drive two more days then you'll reach Toronto, which is about two days from the middle of Canada. Big place.

Pfft. I can drive for two days from my home town in Queensland and I'm still in Queensland. Bigger place.

1. foxyshadis

Yeah, but in Queensland you're constantly fighting off roving bands of murderous marsupials and poisonous wolverines, to say nothing of having to hack your own way through the bush to find the road again. It's amazing that you can drive for two days at all.

1. Denarius
              Meh

Qld, Gestapo one day, Stasi the next. Dont let Tony know, he might think it a goal to aim for. If one is motorcycling, in two days the marsupials, eagles, emus and Min Min Lights might have generated a scare or two and the cops will have added more justified hate to their existance after a couple of strip searches by side of road for no reason other than two wheeled vehicle use. All for society's safety you know.

However Qld is only 2.5 days north south, 2 days east west in my experience. WA beats it comfortably in both x and y axis. Without the compulsory arbitrary roadside strip searches too, so far. Also has camels to hit so one has more choice of things to be wiped out by. Roadtrains carrying stupendous equipment is common to both states.

2. Tim99 Silver badge
            Pint

Pfft. I can drive for two days from my home town in Queensland and I'm still in Queensland. Bigger place.

Pfft. Western Australia, is half as big again as QLD. My home, south of Perth, to Kununurra is over 2,000 miles. I admit that I have not driven it myself, but I did drive to Derby, which is only 1,500 miles. I made a couple of diversions on the way, so I clocked up over 5,000 miles on the trip.

Unless we have a motorist from the Sakha Republic, I claim this >>=======>

1. bob, mon!
              Joke

Pfft pfft. I can drive two days in Philadelphia and still be in Philadelphia. Friggin' traffic jams...

2. PJD

I've hitchiked from Kununurra to Exmouth, both via the coast road and highway 95.. Never took less than 4 days.

3. Steve I

On the subject of driving, they say that "All roads lead to Rome." Well I went along the M4 the other day and ended up in Bristol, so that advice was bollocks.

3. JeffyPoooh
            Pint

Canada has roadside picnic parks bigger than Queensland.

Australia wins on the poisonous spider competition.

1. TonyJ

"...Australia wins on the poisonous spider competition..."

Australia wins on the "everything and anything trying to kill you" competition.

FTFY

I refer to the old joke about the boffins doing the longest, largest study ever undertaken with regards to dangerous flora and fauna in Australia.

After many years, they finally reported that the only thing harmless to humans there are some of the sheep.

4. nematoad
            Happy

"Pfft. I can drive for two days from my home town in Queensland and I'm still in Queensland. Bigger place."

I could drive for two days in the UK.

It's not how big a place you live in that counts, it's how fast you drive

1. Anonymous Coward
              Anonymous Coward

I could drive for two days in the UK

Two days in London and not get very far. I'm a Londoner by birth so I feel your pain. btw, just for the sake of perspective, the nearest conurbation of consequence to me is roughly the same distance as London to Bristol.

It's not how big a place you live in that counts, it's how fast you drive

I agree. The problem here is that the main road up the east coast, the Bruce Highway (our equivalent of the M1), is one lane each way with a 60 mph (100 km/h) speed limit and few places to overtake. It's crawling with speed camera cars, large wandering marsupials and pensioners towing caravans. It should have been called the Highway To Hell.

1. Nameless Dread

"...one lane each way with a 60 mph (100 km/h) speed limit and few places to overtake."

Welcome (or something) to the A9.

1. A K Stiles
                  Holmes

Re: Welcome...to the A9"

At least they had the decency to stick some signs on it that say "If you're driving well below the (safe) speed limit, stop in the next layby and enjoy the scenery, and let the poor sods behind you who still have a 4 hour drive get past" - I may be paraphrasing slightly!

5. Loud Speaker

I can drive for two days in London (UK) and still be in London. Its not so big, but the traffic is slower than when it was horse drawn. But you can link to web sites here and not hear from lawyers (They are probably still waiting for their horses to be saddled).

6. brianlemoncda

Mahatma - I used to have a car like that too...

7. iLuddite

@Mahatma Coat

"Pfft. I can drive for two days from my home town in Queensland and I'm still in Queensland. Bigger place."

Roads that bad?:)

8. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

>Pfft. I can drive for two days from my home town in Queensland and I'm still in Queensland.

I had a car like that once .

9. batman997

"I can drive for two days from my home town in Queensland and I'm still in Queensland. Bigger place."

I am not sure if you skipped geography class or something. Canada is the second largest country in the world after Russia. Australia is 6th largest, so it definitely is not "bigger place".

1. Hollerith 1

Canada is sliced up into many provinces, Australia into few states. Driving north-south in, say, Alberta will take about three days (assuming there were roads).

10. disgruntled yank

As the old Texas joke said, "Yeah, I had a car like that, too."

11. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

Yes, but in Canadia there are paved roads.

4. -tim
          Coat

A good degree of mockery?

That wasn't even dodgy cert holding help desk level mockery. I would expect at least PFY level mockery from any Reg reporter.

5. imanidiot Silver badge
          Coat

PS2. It's also about two days to get to the further east point in Newf. And it's about two days from Toronto to the middle of Canada at Winnipeg. Let's review. If you're already two days from the extreme east, and you drive two more days then you'll reach Toronto, which is about two days from the middle of Canada. Big place.

"Space Canada is big. Really big. You just won’t believe how vastly hugely mindbogglingly big it is. I mean you may think it’s a long way down the road to the chemist’s, but that’s just peanuts to Space Canada."

I'll get going now, long way to go. Yeah, mines the one with the Electronic Thumb in the pocket and the towel in the other.

6. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Toronto's in Canada now ?

Has anyone told them this ?

Gang D'anglo !

7. Snowman

No need for Canada to say sorry over this

"PS. Ashamed to be Canadian right about now."

The fault here rests on the Pan American Sports Organization, basically an organization formed by all the national olympic committees in North & South America. Host cities/countries rarely get much say in changing PASO rules and it is not uncommon to have to change laws to 'win' the bid to host.

8. pollyanna

I live on the outskirts of Toronto and it's about 2 days drive into the city due to the crazy games high occupancy lanes (oops, #TO2025 #HOVLanes) which have essentially grid-locked much of the city day and night. Even driving OUT of #TO2015 took almost 4 times longer than normal) and I watched the stationary traffic tailed back all the way to Hamilton as I went. Sounds like it was the same lawyers who came up with the traffic scheme too.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"The first rule of Toronto - nobody can talk about Toronto"

you've been there then ....

:)

3. m0rt

Please seek permission from myself before reading this comment.

4. romulusnr

What happens in Toronto stays in Toronto... because nobody can find a link to the site!

5. Trevor_Pott Gold badge

The first rule of Toronto - nobody can talk about Toronto

Why would anyone want to?

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

You fell for their trap!

The best way to rise in Google search results is to have a lot of people linking to your site. The best way to get a lot of people linking to your site is to tell people they can't, and watch all the tech sites scream bloody murder about how that's ridiculous and link to their site in their stories, in their comments, and in their blogs just to stick it to them.

The Pan Am Games would like to thank you for helping their search ranking.

4. s5PGmU
      Trollface

http://www.toronto2015.org/ AND #TO2015!

Also, how much cocaine did Rob Ford and his lawyers smoke before he told the committee to put this in the TOS (or should I say POS)?

5. Vic

I think you should have linked to the twats page. If enough people do, they might start to understand...

Vic.

1. Fred Flintstone Gold badge

I think you should have linked to the twats page. If enough people do, they might start to understand...

I like the idea of filling up their logfiles with choice insults, but I think they have spent more money on lawyers than on technology (as the article indicated). It is not a given that anyone will EVER look at the 404 logs..

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

You mean?

http://www.toronto2015.org/twats ?

Or: http://www.toronto2015.org/twats ??

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Is there one of these ? /r/toronto2015

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon