back to article It's 2015 and VMware tools break VMs if you open two browser tabs

VMware has revealed a couple of nasty bugs in its vRealize Automation products. One causes hard disks to disappear. Detailed here, the flaw impacts vRealize Automation 6.x and means “hard disks are removed unexpectedly when reconfiguring a virtual machine that has RDM disks.” That's obviously a bad idea seeing as hard disks …

1. Yugguy

Hands up

So, hands up who still uses the old vmware vsphere client for most of their admin tasks? And only ventures onto the abysmally bad web client when there's no other choice?

Yep, me too.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Hands up

All of us.

2. Samuel Penn
      Linux

Hands up who have to use the abysmally bad web client because the old client doesn't run on Linux.

Fortunately I don't need to use it very often.

1. pompurin

That's what VirtualBox is for. I have three version of vSphere client (5, 5.5 and 6) because I get forced to download an update when I'm trying to manage a lower version of ESXi.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Lucky VMware don't run a public cloud service, that could get really embarrassing if there were customers using it.

1. K

It would motivate them to fix the dam thing ...

2. Doogie Howser MD

AFAIK they use vCloud Director for vCloud Air, which is a totally different product for vRA.

1. Lusty
        Holmes

I can't tell if you're joking or not?

2. s. pam Silver badge

vCloud Director has it even worse!

login to vCloud air, click yo launch vCloud Director, watch it puck wanting Flash, install Flash, instant disaster. You've got no choice unless you kill the vca window, it'll fail too but not every time. It just fails when you don't need it to!

3. Tom from the States

And then there's this one:

"In VMware vRealize Automation, the hard disks are removed unexpectedly when reconfiguring a virtual machine that has RDM disks (2124657)"

http://kb.vmware.com/kb/2124657

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

So vClud Air, the VMware Cloud has similar bug

Get them whilst they're H-O-T kids, similar to identical bugs have been seriously fucking with me the last few weeks. I thought at first it was Chrome which did it the most, but Firefox can also have it happen. The shite vSphere browser app is where I think the bug is, but as most of their stuff uses Adobe Flash(the Ebola Virus of browser plugins) it may be some strange interaction.

Whatever the hell it is, it's worse when combined with ESXi instances and you don't even have to invoke vMotion workloads to trigger it. BANG - all of a sudden it's either browser lockup or vSphere browser client barfing all over itself.

Whatever it is, it's damn tiring to have to click, save, click, save and I'm disappointed in VMware for not catching this. I can't wait until I have to upgrade this weekends vCenter 6.

5. CheesyTheClown

VMware? Really?

So, I'm using trial versions of vsphere this month to spin up my Azure cloud which I'll migrate to afterwards. I don't deploy VMware in production anymore because it's just too damn unreliable. It's like they spread themselves too thin and they don't even know which product does what or even what it's called anymore.

With KVM and Hyper-V both being "feature complete", why would anyone depend on VMware anymore... except for hack and slash vsphere client crap IT work.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like