back to article Tech Mahindra posts profit warning: The end for Indian outsourcing?

Indian outsourcer Tech Mahindra, which bought disgraced rival Satyam in 2012, has issued a profit warning — the first sign of trouble in the buoyant market for some time. In a regulatory filing to the Bombay Stock Exchange, it blamed a "seasonally weak" mobility business for dragging down first-quarter revenue, with shares …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Strange picture

Are those actually Tech Mahindra employees, or a random group of middle aged Indian people sitting on plastic chairs looking vaguely grumpy?

Perhaps they are shareholders.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Strange picture

"a random group of middle aged Indian people sitting on plastic chairs looking vaguely grumpy"

That'll be HP's Global Service Desk. Trust the Reg to get a picture for the wrong company.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

No, they are the temp stand-ins for the Dead Souls.

3. skeptical i
      Devil

The photo filename is india_medical_queue.jpg, so possibly this is the Mahindra team assigned to the CircleHealth account?

4. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Hmm... I think is an inappropriate use of that picture and it should be removed from the article.

2. Pen-y-gors

Circlehealth

"10-year deal with CircleHealth which operates a network of NHS and private hospitals"

Help, Nurse, my pacemaker isn't working properly.

Have you tried switching it off and on again?

3. gv

Outsourced

The Indian outsourcers have themselves now been outsourced to China, et al.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Outsourced

"The Indian outsourcers have themselves now been outsourced to China, et al."

That's one possibility.

At least in the UK, there's another possibility: the Indians bought the whole company, and see no need to outsource to some other outfit.

E.g. Tata

http://www.europe.tata.com/company/ProfilePage/Overview

now own Tetley Tea, much of the remains of the former British Steel, Jaguar Land Rover, chunks of the bulk chemicals business of the former Imperial Chemical Industries (ICI) and so on.

My crystal ball says that there's at least one other very well known name potentially heading that way in the next five years. Have a look around the various nominally-UK corporate Boards of Directors and see who's got Tata connections at board level and elsewhere and are having a bit of a hiccup in the financial markets.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

One of my off-shore collogues (I'm in the UK), recently complained in a team teleconf, about some of their roles being moved from India to Vietnam.

He even used the phrase "Taking our jobs..." at one point.

Oh the irony!

5. Erik4872

Next shift?

Every single offshoring firm is going to end up chasing the cheapest labor they can get around the world. When that offshored service that used to cost them $2/hour to deliver starts costing them $3, they will be on to the next cheap country. Vietnam, Indonesia and all of Africa are probably next.

6. Raj

Ahh, the Brits

Good to see that their racism is alive and well.

1. Sir Runcible Spoon

Re: Ahh, the Brits

Care to elaborate on where you saw the Racism(tm)? I'm not sure I spotted it.

7. This post has been deleted by its author

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

A race to the bottom

Outsourcing is the process of finding the lowest cost labour, where quality counts for nothing and laziness and corruption are rife.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like