back to article ACCC clears copper for the NBN

The ACCC has rubber-stamped the agreements needed to let nbnTM absorb Telstra's copper for fibre-to-the-node (FTTN) broadband. The approval of the deal means nbnTM can take ownership of Telstra’s copper and HFC networks for the government's multi-technology model broadband delivery. “Using existing infrastructure means we can …

1. Magani
    FAIL

Beaurocracy-speak for fiddling while Rome burns?

"“Using existing infrastructure means we can build the nbn network sooner and at less cost to taxpayers than originally anticipated. What’s more, all the technologies being used in the nbn network can be upgraded to deliver even faster speeds and greater capacity when consumer demand calls for it,” said nbnTM chief Bill Morrow, in a statement."

Sounds like an excuse to not lay fibre, and hope someone comes up with a way of extending the life of the rapidly decaying copper. I thought the whole idea of the NBN was to give Fred Public a new high speed network NOW, not keep throwing the problem into the future.

1. FozzyBear

Re: Beaurocracy-speak for fiddling while Rome burns?

It was. Originally I was going to go into a detailed explanation for the reasons behind it. However, there is a very concise way of summarising why this is such as F**k up.

Politicians got involved

2. Jasonk

Re: Beaurocracy-speak for fiddling while Rome burns?

"build the nbn network sooner "

Only 7 sec faster than FTTP.

"less cost to taxpayers than originally anticipated"

Means I have shifted upfron capex cost to OPEX which will cost the taxpayer more in the long run.

"all the technologies being used in the nbn network can be upgraded to deliver even faster speeds and greater capacity when consumer demand calls for it"

That FOD already cost more than delivering FTTP it will cost the taxpayer even more to upgrade later.

2. Winkypop Silver badge
    FAIL

Copper

How 1877!

Wow.

1. LaeMing

Re: Copper

They probably think they can save their shares in the mining industry.

3. Andy Mac

"The ACCC advised citizens to promptly investigate how the nbn roll out in their area will affect their phone and internet services."

What nbn roll out in my area? The one that was supposed to start within two years, three years ago? The area that says "Here be dragons" on the updated roll out map?

4. Medixstiff

Construction of the NBN by nbn is expected to conclude in 2020.

Except the Liberall's have already said they won't be funding the NBN after 2018, so I guess it reverts to Telstra then and we know how screwed we will be then.

1. Mike 29

Like they'll be in power in 2018.

1. LaeMing

That will depend on whether the alternative is more or less shitty at election time. They got in this time not because people wanted them but because people were sick of the other lot poncing about like reality-TV 'stars'. Sadly.

5. aberglas

If Fibbre to the Home is so good, why cut the copper?

If people are so desperate for ultra-fast internet, then they will jump aboard at the first opportunity.

So why the need to the cut the the copper and force them onto the NBN?

A. Because most (but certainly not all) people are happy with their existing ADSL speeds.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like