back to article GCHQ heard you liked spying, so spied on itself spying on you

Sir Mark Waller, the Intelligence Services Commissioner, has delivered his fourth annual report to the Prime Minister, revealing that GCHQ's internal monitoring system slurped up its own employees' privates to an unauthorised degree. The 69-page report [PDF] noted that GCHQ reported an error to the commissioner in 2014, "when …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Damn, cleaning the coffee off the table again

So, let me see if I understand this. The agency is responsible for both reporting and classifying errors and someone in his right frame of mind is actually expecting it to classify something as C == deliberate? I choked on my coffee here. Really, you gotta be kidding.

1. Gordon 10
      Pirate

Re: Damn, cleaning the coffee off the table again

The fact even with a cursory inspection that they found 30% more than were originally reported suggests to be that there may be a few icebergs in that there sea..... Arrr!

2. Mark 85
      Black Helicopters

Re: Damn, cleaning the coffee off the table again

It was typo!!!! Honest!!!! I wasn't intending to.... I hear helicopters...

2. Toastan Buttar
    Big Brother

Ministry of Truth reports No Category C errors

In other news:

Ministry of Plenty announces an increase in chocolate rations to 20g.

3. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

"correct legal basis"

There seems to be an assumption here that the current legal basis is correct. If the warrants are not granted by a proper judicial process it can't really qualify.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Black Helicopters

So...

...it "accidentally" recorded some people out of a pool of what, a few thousand?

So how many have "accidentally" been collected out of a pool of 65 million? Have all those ones been deleted as well?

5. dogged

Picture

Needs more Xzibit.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Can google help?

There might be some useful information about this in the data collected accidentally by a passing streetview car.

7. Doctor_Wibble
    Unhappy

Game For A Laugh

That's what the 'monitoring the monitors' remarks remind me of (possibly deliberately?), and it certainly looks like it's handled with the same utmost seriousness by our glorious leaders.

Watching them watching us watching you - except due to budget cuts they can't afford to fill your house with ping-pong balls any more so there isn't even any entertainment value.

1. Cardinal
      Big Brother

Re: Game For A Laugh

Looking at the proximity of those houses in the photograph.

Wonder if the residents ever get that feeling of, you know, being....erm.....WATCHED!!!

(As a thousand spooks with dogs and tasers descend on some poor soul trying to fix his roof aerial!)

For better reception you say, hmmm? (Just tighten those straps will you Sid.)

OF WHAT???

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like