back to article Google creates cloud code cache

With an uncharacteristic lack of fanfare, Google has decided to hang around the kitchen at the code repository party. With Microsoft, AWS, and Atlassian and BitBucket already eyeing off the popularity of GitHub, it's probably no surprise that the Chocolate Factory would also like a piece of the action. Google has been quietly …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

yeah....

Cause it would be sensible to trust google with your source code

They have a deep rooted level respect for IP!

1. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
      Holmes

Re: yeah....

Andrew Orlowski articles can be found on the right -->

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: yeah....

yeah....

Cause it would be sensible to trust google with your source code

They have a deep rooted level respect for IP!

1 - they do, they just want a free copy for their own use, forever (you agree to that when you get a Google account, read their T&Cs:

When you upload, submit, store, send or receive content to or through our Services, you give Google (and those we work with) a worldwide license to use, host, store, reproduce, modify, create derivative works (such as those resulting from translations, adaptations or other changes we make so that your content works better with our Services), communicate, publish, publicly perform, publicly display and distribute such content. The rights you grant in this license are for the limited purpose of operating, promoting, and improving our Services, and to develop new ones. This license continues even if you stop using our Services.

Call be fickle, but I have a problem with that sort of agreement if I'm developing something that may possibly compete with anything that Google does or may want to get its hands in because they're a bit one-directional when it comes to sharing. It reminds me of the stifling effect Microsoft has had on innovation over the years - this is yet another occurrence where it appears Google is using Microsoft's playbook but taking it much further than even Microsoft dared.

2 - I'm not so worried about IP theft in what is a public register, I'm more worried about insertions and alterations. As their main source of income is surveillance it only seems logical to exercise caution with any "free" offers that come from that corner. For example, there are parties out there that would pay LOTS of money to weaken crypto, and now SSLv3 is officially dead they need all the "help" they can get buy.

2. Ralph B

WTF?

It was only 3 months ago that they announced the shutdown of their Google Code project hosting service and now they are opening another one. WTF?

1. Charlie Clark Silver badge

Re: WTF?

This looks like the basis of an enterprise service going after the lucrative CI market.

Hosting repositories and bug trackers is easy but there is little money it, despite GitHub's success in recent funding.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

My thoughts exactly, they kill off Google Code so everyone has to migrate elsewhere, now they want us to migrate back to some new service that'll probably be killed off in another couple of years causing yet another migration.

No thanks, I'm happy where I am.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

This actually predates the Google Code shutdown announcement. They have had Git repositories, push-to-deploy and syncing with Github & Bitbucket for roughly absolutely ages (I've been using the latter for over a year).

Here's a blog post that talks about it 2 years ago:

http://googlecloudplatform.blogspot.co.uk/2013/07/google-app-engine-hello-world-using.html

They made some changes back in Feb/March this year and recently stuck a page up on the Cloud Platform website - that's the news (if you click Get Started, you'll see it basically talks you through creating a Cloud Platform project).

3. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
    Stop

FUSK NO!

Its Cloud Code Repository – beta now

Gone tomorrow.

4. joejack

"(because it's a beta, the debugger only Java apps are currently supporteD)"

Is the article also beta?

5. crediblywitless

What's the point? In a few years they'll just announce they're closing it down, randomly, as though solely 'current popularity' is the measure of whether a thing is a good thing or not. Google could do with figuring out what it's actually _for_, and looking committed to whatever it is.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like