back to article United Nations sends peacekeeping forces to Internet of Things war

The United Nations is joining the melee for a single "internet of things" (IoT) standard. The UN-run International Telecommunications Union (ITU) has created a new "study group" that will develop international standards for the technology to enable low-power communications between machines and sensor networks. Study Group 20 …

1. chivo243 Silver badge
    Headmaster

More jobs created!

or just paychecks for people who already have jobs?

Really more people defining even more standards. This will really clear things up.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Standards, standards everywhere

"IoT is almost defined by the fact that there are a wide range of competing standards."

Frankly, so is the ITU.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Standards, standards everywhere

ITU: the people who tried first to destroy and then to take over the Internet.

No thanks.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

They need to create a committee that oversees all the standards then another to oversee that the standards committee are overseeing the standards correctly. I think after that a standard standards standard committee that is made up of politicians getting paid lots of money.

They also need to have lots of meetings, more meeting than your average middle manager who knows nothing has, to make sure standards are being adhered to.

Only then will society be a better place and the mighty iot will live in harmony (probably about 2152 if we're not all enslaved by governments or wiped out from terrorist pedo's using the internet to send packets to blow us all up)

1. Mark 85

Well... admit it. It's better to have all these glorious folks being in a committee instead actually doing something. Since it's the UN, they'll keep themselves busy and feeling important for at least the next 10 to 20 years.

4. Blue Pumpkin

Yes but ...

.. how else do we get the universal protocol and connector so that R2D2 can tap into the Death Star's main computer ?

5. DanielR

Obviously no mention of security. That is going to work out well for them once people get their devices turning on remotely because it's open to the public through their routers. Or sensors going nuts because someone has jumped onto the insecure wireless communications. All this needs to be taken into account. I don't believe any access should be opened up unless it's ip filtered.

6. frank ly

Off topic but on picture

Can anybody tell me why there is sideways venting of the 'exhaust' at the end of that 'gun' (please forgive any misuse of terminology). I'd have thought that it would waste energy and give large stresses at the end of the barrel.

1. Doctor_Wibble

Re: Off topic but on picture

The knob on the end is called a "muzzle brake" and reduces recoil.

Also, when in outer space, that exhaust can be angled to adjust the aim and possibly even to ensure that the inevitable 'equal and opposite reaction' of firing a projectile can be mitigated to make sure that you don't exit the battle arena sooner than expected, i.e. immediately after your first and possibly only shot. This is why lasers are so important for sci-fi, no mass like those clunky particle weapons and entirely feasible once we sort out proper spacesuits for the sharks.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like