back to article Europol operation crushes phiendish global phishing ring

Police have arrested 49 men from Spain, Nigeria, and Cameroon in connection with electronic bank account raids that plundered some €6 million across Europe. The men were arrested as part of Operation Triangle, an effort involving police from Spain, Italy, and Poland together with authorities in Belgium, the UK, and Georgia. …

1. Detective Emil
    Headmaster

Police have arrested 49 men from Spain, Nigeria, and Cameroon […]

Almost half of those arrested hail from Italy, 18 are from Poland and 10 from Spain.

These two statements literally do not add up.

1. VinceH

"These two statements literally do not add up."

Beat me to it. I wanted to question that very point. Darren's link doesn't offer anything to explain the oddity. In fact he (correctly) quotes the linked press release as saying (my emphasis):

"The suspects, mainly from Nigeria, Cameroon and Spain"

That release doesn't state the numbers, though - so that information is sourced from elsewhere. I wonder if the numbers reveal where they were located at the time they were nabbed?

2. frank ly

O'Really

"That database of "lawfully held European custody photos" is "a stand-alone database of legally held custody photographs ..."

Of course; what else could it be? Is there a difference between 'lawfully' and 'legally'? Ask a lawyer.

3. ciaran
    WTF?

Missing the standard quote...

"This level of sophistication is normally associated with a state sponsored cyber attack"...

The Sony attack was a state operation but this was a gang of criminals? Somebody's jerking us around.

4. Mike Bell
    Boffin

Operation Triangle

The men were arrested as part of Operation Triangle, an effort involving police from Spain, Italy, and Poland together with authorities in Belgium, the UK, and Georgia.

Surely that should have been Operation Hexagon?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like