back to article Belgium trolls France with bonkers new commemorative coin

Belgium has taken international trolling to the next level by minting a €2.50 coin to celebrate the Battle of Waterloo. France had objected to the plan to mint a €2 coin to mark the 200th anniversary of Napoleon's defeat and Belgium duly scrapped 180,000 coins. France said the battle “has a particular resonance in the …

Page:

1. This post has been deleted by its author

1. Kleykenb

for collectors

It's not ment to be used as legal tender (and why would you use it if it cost you 6Euro and it's only worth 2.5Euro).

This is only ment for colelctors.

1. silent_count

@Kleykenb

"(and why would you use it if it cost you 6Euro and it's only worth 2.5Euro)"

I take it you've never seen Brewster's Millions (R.I.P. Richard Pryor and John Candy).

2. Kubla Cant

Re: for collectors

why would you use it if it cost you 6Euro and it's only worth 2.5Euro

You might feel it's worth € 3.5 to annoy some French people.

2. petur

It is also wrong. The coins can NOT be used to buy anything, even in Belgium. They are a collectors item, no more, no less.

If you dig a bit deeper there's a whole scene of coin collectors for these kind of things. The idea being that they are pretty rare and some day might be worth more. Or they like collecting them more than they like stamps? Who knows ;)

1. Wyrdness

According to the Financial Times (and they should know), these coins can be spent in Belgium, just not anywhere else in the Eurozone. Thought it's not expected that people will spend them, as they're primarily collectors items, hence the €6 price tag.

3. Lionel Baden

Im with 1980's coder !

Sorry regardless of whether it is collectible, it is supposed to be a legal euro, then it should be accepted anywhere that is based on the euro.

All they need to do is make a 0.99 coin !!! now that would be useful :D

1. This post has been deleted by its author

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

@1980s_coder

Someone pulled those 20p coins out of a proof set and spent them. Some people working the register are suspicious of anything they don't recognize (like people in the US who refuse a $2 bill even though they are legal tender, since they are rarely used) and some will take anything if it is looks legit - and after all, they are only 20p, and who would counterfeit a 20p coin?

I mean, YOU got them as change at some point and didn't refuse them, right? If someone gave you a washer in change instead of a penny, and you decided to accept it because "hey I need a washer exactly that size, this will save me a trip to the hardware store" would that mean that people who say a washer isn't legal tender are wrong?

4. Test Man

It can be used anywhere. However, due to the fact that it isn't legal tender, it can be refused when presented to settle a debt.

Same with Scottish and Northern Ireland pound sterling notes - can be accepted as payment for a debt anywhere in the UK, but as it's not legal tender it can be refused.

Credit cards, debit cards, cheques and other non-cash methods of payment aren't strictly speaking legal tender (i.e. it's totally legal for the person who is owed the money to refuse it)

1. John Riddoch

Most Bank of England notes aren't legal tender in Scotland either, because the definition of it is so tight.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

"Most Bank of England notes aren't legal tender in Scotland"

What about coins?

Particularly my planned Culloden pound coin? Gets at both the Andymurrays and the Frogs in one go.

5. Paul Shirley

"That's a bit silly, having a euro coin that isn't legal tender across the whole of the Eurozone."

Not silly at all, it's why the French can't veto it.

2. Chris Puttick

Can't buy

Anything from that site, apparently. The new coin doesn't have a buy button, and the silver €10 coin won't "add" to the basket.

<trying to buy just to annoy the French govt>

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Can't buy

Did you enter a quantity? It defaults to adding a quantity of zero coins to your basket.

1. Roq D. Kasba

Re: Can't buy

Site was happy to sell me one, but wanted another €8.95 postage which was just a bit too rich for me, otherwise I might have got one just out of mischief.

3. This post has been deleted by its author

4. Steve 114

Rewriting history yet again

When I visited the 'Panorama' near the battlefield, it left me with the impression the French had won. The true battlefield is no longer there in memoriam, as the French carefully scooped up all the topsoil to make the monument. Did we only get to keep our 'Waterloo' station because we added a fraction for Eurostar?

1. Voland's right hand Silver badge

Re: Rewriting history yet again

We should have refurbished Waterloo as a termination point for Eurostar instead of St Pancras.

As a case in point.

1. Fred Dibnah

Agreed, but now that it's moved, how about we rename St.Pancras to St.Helena?

2. Christoph

Some years back, some particularly publicity-desperate petty French politician complained loudly about the Eurostar terminus being at a place named after Waterloo.

The English reaction, which I saw from several independent sources, was "Certainly squire. No problem. We'll get the name changed right away. Agincourt Station it is."

1. disgruntled yank

Yes, well, in 1814 the Prussians wanted to demolish the Pont d'Iena in Paris.

2. Kubla Cant

That's a bit rich, considering the Gare d'Austerlitz in Paris.

1. Vincent Ballard

It's even richer when you consider that France is minting a commemorative 2€ coin this year to celebrate the end of a different war. (Ok, it's officially "70 years of peace in Europe", but same difference).

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"The French carefully scooped up all the topsoil to make the monument". Except the monument was made by King William I of the Netherlands.

5. Richard Jones 1
    Joke

Water-loo Taking the P*ss

Sorry I could not resist, perhaps a bit too blatant but the Belgian action get a round of applause. It almost makes me want to use the Euro so we could employ their coin here. - Steady on at the back I said almost!

1. Flocke Kroes Silver badge

Euro in the UK

A few UK department stores accept euro notes. Expect delay while the shop assistant learns how the shop handles euros - or US$ or ¥. The exchange rate will not be that good either.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Water-loo Taking the P*ss

It almost makes me want to use the Euro so we could employ their coin here.

Well this year we're rubbing the German's noses in it again with new £2 coins celebrating the first world war and a 50p coin for the Battle of Britain. Sadly it looks like the Royal Mint have missed the opportunity to bait the French with a 600 year anniversary Agincourt pound coin.

1. Spamfast

Re: Water-loo Taking the P*ss

Well this year we're rubbing the German's noses in it again with new £2 coins celebrating the first world war and a 50p coin for the Battle of Britain.

Just the one German? And he's got more than one nose? (Check your punctuation.)

Actually, probably not even one. The ones I've met - Germans that is, not noses - seem pretty indifferent. We're the ones who seem to have retained the chip on the shoulder.

6. Anonymous Coward
    1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Belgium trolls France with bonkers new commemorative coin

Looks interesting. Can us USAns get it for $2.50 postage?

7. Tromos

Belgian coffers must be in a pretty poor state if 70,000 lots of 6 euros have any noticeable positive effect.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I suspect it will barely cover their costs - but since the point is to annoy the French, that doesn't matter.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"the point is to annoy the French"

Maybe it wasn't. Maybe it was the only thing they could come up with to put on a coin. Let's face it, the list of famous Belgians probably has a single entry, and that's Poirot, so after you've put him on one coin, you're a bit stuck. And even then, that's only one side of the coin sorted.

1. RikC

@Ledswinger, Ah yes... people always mistake Jaques Brel for a Frenchman ;-)

1. Bloakey1

" Reply Icon

@Ledswinger, Ah yes... people always mistake Jaques Brel for a Frenchman ;-)"

Ahhh, but do not forget Plastique Bertrand, Jean Claude Van Damme et. al.

In fact Belgian punches above its weight for well known people given its size.

One of my French Army songs used to have the following in it:

"Pour les Belges y en a plus. Ce sont des tireurs au cul"

So perhaps the French deserve all they get.

1. Anonymous Coward
              Anonymous Coward

Don't know any famous Belgians outside of Poirot? Are you mad? Do a quick search and you'll find loads.

Gerardus Mercator, Leo Baekeland, Georges Lemaître , Jacky Ickx, Eddy Merckx, Justine Henin. You may have heard of the Smurfs and TinTin to name but a few :-)

1. Anonymous Coward
                Anonymous Coward

"Don't know any famous Belgians outside of Poirot? Are you mad?"

No, I am not mad, but I seem to be single-handedly waving the banner of secretly self-deprecating British pretend-xenophobia, fighting off the barbarians who could evidently sit through Fawlty Towers: The Germans without cracking a smile (and who'd probably conclude that the humour was at the expense of the Teutons).

1. Anonymous Coward
                  Anonymous Coward

Fawlty Towers seems quite popular in Belgium and I even had some German friends who liked it... as an aside.

I think Belgium also holds the record for the most parliaments per capita and perhaps per square kilometer too :-)

It may also have the record for the longest period without a government in a Western country.

These last two are just speculation on my part...

2. Grikath

"who could evidently sit through Fawlty Towers: The Germans without cracking a smile "

That's not difficult, as Cleese isn't nearly as funny as he thinks he is.

2. Anonymous Coward
                Anonymous Coward

"Gerardus Mercator, Leo Baekeland, Georges Lemaître , Jacky Ickx, Eddy Merckx, Justine Henin"

Famous?! I have never heard of any of those before now...

1. WolfFan Silver badge

"Gerardus Mercator, Leo Baekeland, Georges Lemaître , Jacky Ickx, Eddy Merckx, Justine Henin"

Famous?! I have never heard of any of those before now...

Mercator -- map maker

Baekeland -- plastics

Lemaître -- the Big Bang Theory

Ickx -- race-car driver

Merckx -- no clue

Henin -- tennis player.

If you've really never heard of Mercator, you paid no attention in geography class. Really. And if you've really never heard of Lemaître, you probably didn't pay much attention in physics class, either.

3. x 7

TinTin? Belgian?

Come off it, that girl was Malaysian.

2. Anonymous Coward
              Anonymous Coward

"In fact Belgian punches above its weight for well known people given its size."

Doesn't every country in the world (of any size) claim that, with the sole exception of Wales? I suppose the Belgians can take comfort that at least they weren't born Welsh.

In fact, maybe there's a way forward for Belgian odd-denomination coins: Countries we Belgies are glad we're not.

1. PNGuinn
                Trollface

Everyone EXCEPT WALES??

So - How many countries can claim the honour of HAVING AN FUNDEMENTAL UNIT OF MEASUREMENT named after them???

El Reg - can you confirm that the vacuum propelled sheep is in fact also Welsh? Enquiring Standards Engineers NEED TO KNOW.

3. Stoneshop
              Boffin

Reg Units please

In fact Belgian punches above its weight for well known people given its size.

You need to express that in Norris per Jub per Wales, so that we can get a meaningful number to rate different countries.

2. Stoneshop

Let's face it, the list of famous Belgians probably has a single entry,

There's also Eddy Merckx, a famous messenger from the war between the Romans and the Belgians.

8. tony2heads
    Go

How about more annoying the French!

UK coins for

Agincourt, Crecy, Sluys

Or perhaps for wider EU support Blenheim, Ramillies, Oudenarde

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: How about more annoying the French!

To be fair we celebrate Dunkirk as if it was a victory when in fact it was our troops running away as fast as they could.

Thatr's not intended as a slur on their bravery, it was the right thing to do it's just that we seem to act as if it was some great victory.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: How about more annoying the French!

"To be fair we celebrate Dunkirk as if it was a victory"

We were fortunate that at the time Hitler still seems to have thought there was a possibility of making peace with Britain. German soldiers have said after the war that they were reluctant to shoot.

But we're British - celebrating massive cock-ups is what we do, it's part of the national culture of self-deprecation.

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like