back to article Busy BlackBerry wheels out BB10 and QNX updates

BlackBerry has updated its mature IoT platform based on real-time OS QNX – which can be found in everything from cars to Cisco routers to nuclear power stations – and announced a new partnership with Intel. The world isn’t exactly short of IoT platforms: a couple come out every week. Huawei’s lightweight open source OS LiteOS …

1. Chris 171

Very confused.

I could make an old BB work fine, have had a Q20 for a week now which looks & feels lovely but really is quite a stretch to use intuitively.

Does this update allow for the phone number dialling/keypress sounds to be muted? like old Nokias had 10yrs ago?

Glad its a supplied device currently!

1. bazza Silver badge

Re: Very confused.

The built in tutorial app is a good place to learn the various different swipe gestures.

Keyboard sounds are controlled in System Settings -> Language and Input -> Feedback.

1. muttley
        Boffin

@ bazza: No.

Keyboard volume does not equal dial keypad volume.

Only way to mute dial keypad volume is to mute system volume.

1. bazza Silver badge

Re: @ bazza: No.

I was assuming that the OP meant both dialling and keyboard sound feedback; the word 'keypress' was used. The setting I pointed at is indeed for the latter.

2. PhoenixRevealed

It's just because BB10 is different than any other mobile OS. Stick with it. In a week or two you will never want to use any other OS.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

I can empathise with that: after 4 years with my Blackberry Bold I'm struggling to get along with a Moto E running Android 4.4! So many basic things that were trivial on the BB simply aren't there! Though it is good to be a able to download all those useful apps I have access to now :).

1. AMBxx Silver badge
          Thumb Up

For anything on a Blackberry, just use Universal Search - go to the home screen and start typing. It will appear soon enough.

I really hope BB get some market share. I'm currently on a Lumia 1020, but my wife's Q10 is far, far superior for anything work related. Sadly, availability of games seems to be the driving force in mobile selection.

1. Captain Scarlet

"Sadly, availability of games seems to be the driving force in mobile selection."

I thought it was image, when I got a Blackberry people (Mostly with iThings) did point and laugh. Still it does everything I need from it and I don't need to install some dodgy app for basic functionality that then decides to steal screen space with a banner ad.

2. Ken Moorhouse Silver badge

Brillo?

Wonder how deeply Google scoured the records for trademark issues. Will it be installed on a Pad of some sort? And could it contain SOAP?

1. Riku

Re: Brillo?

Indeed, some trademark holders can get quite Brasso'd off.

3. This post has been deleted by its author

4. Jess

I wonder if blend will let me use my playbook on my Q5

As if.

However the previous update bought back things missing since BB7. (Coloured alerts, Phonetic non-latin keyboards).

If they would re-instate the timed power-on-ff schedule I'd be pretty much happy.

the rest of the system is great.

1. keith_w
      Unhappy

Re: I wonder if blend will let me use my playbook on my Q5

and if they would only fix the FuelC section of the calculator, I'd really be happy.

5. 33rpm

But wait!

The problem with the BB updates are the telco branded updates. Some of those companies haven't even released the last update.

1. Eddy Ito

Re: But wait!

The easy way around that is to remove the sim card and update over wi-fi. When I tried to update my Passport over T-Mob it told me that 10.3.1.1779 was the latest but after pulling the sim I was able to get this update.

That said, I'm not really keen on not being able to remove the new Amazon app and with the permissions it wants I'm not about to try it.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon