back to article This $199 home air-quality gizmo will tell you to VOC right off

"Air. It's all around you. Where you live. Where you work. Where you sleep. But what's really in it?" So begins the video outlining an exciting new product, the Awair, that against all probability is actually a real thing, rather than a brilliantly executed spoof. Pronounced "aware" but with the word "air" at the end, this …

1. Antonymous Coward

I just lost the will to live

2. Mark 85

At last...

a review of some IoT idiocy that I can agree with.

1. VinceH

Re: At last...

Amen to that!

3. Mystic Megabyte
    Pirate

Reckitt Benckiser

I wonder if it would have saved the lives of these women and children. Somehow i doubt it.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/may/24/uk-firm-poison-claim

1. I_am_Chris

Re: Reckitt Benckiser

Nope. That was carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning. Totally different. The Await is still useless.

1. Mystic Megabyte
        FAIL

Re: Reckitt Benckiser @I_am_Chris

Nope. It was nothing to do with CO

Nope. It is not called The Await

From the link:

"an unexplained outbreak of serious lung disease similar to pneumonia – particularly prevalent among children and pregnant women – had discovered a “significant association” with the use of humidifier disinfectant that was targeted at parents in a country where winters are dry and cold."

4. frank ly

Sends text messages to you

Does it share your mobile phone number with anyone or store it in the supplier's servers? That would be great for sending you 'helpful' messages about new products or letting a salesdroid call you to check your satisfaction level.

5. VinceH

Internet of Flings

I assume that term has been coined because Internet of Unwanted Things devices fling your data about - whether that's amongst themselves, or to the cloud. Personally, I think the term is better suited to websites like the one featured in this article.

6. Fink-Nottle

VOC

I'm sceptical of the use of a PID detector to quantify VOC concentration in a domestic setting. How meaningful is the number generated, when organic compounds can have such very different detector responses.

7. Elmer Phud

Quick! Panic!

And the alarm goes off and then what? Does this 'device' do anything other than increase FUD?

Fekking proper New Age woo machine, is what it is.

I don't get any more annoying bleeps from the CO detector since I took the battery out . . .

8. Fred Flintstone Gold badge
    Thumb Up

Upvote for the article..

Lovely writeup, especially the summation

It requires yet more surface space (when will someone create an internet-connected table to hold all your IoT products?)

It does things that other products in your home already do but not as well and at a much higher cost

It connects to other IoT products for no discernible reason and with no practical outcome

It provides wonderful sounding but ludicrously unlikely scenarios where your life will be improved

It has its own phone app

It's been given over $1m in funding by people who should know better

I really want an article upvote button :)

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Upvote for the article..

I did enjoy the summary too.

Google just told me that summation is the process of summing something up, not the result :)

1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. Fred Flintstone Gold badge

Re: Upvote for the article..

Google just told me that summation is the process of summing something up, not the result :)

Yup, the price for posting pre-coffee :)

9. Charles Smith

Zzzzz!

It would be a useful device for monitoring many of the airless Corporate conference room located in the dark corners of office building. You know the type of room - they are the ones which can be booked by IT staff.

At least you'd know why you and your colleagues are losing the will to live during yet another international conference call. CO2 levels running at greater than 1200 ppm.

10. Sure Right OK

...and if you fart in its' general direction?

11. phil dude
    WTF?

WTF?

Proprietary algorithm?

And no CO sensor?

See Icon...

P.

12. Douchus McBagg

VOC's

those were the days. when you had creosote, or paint that actually dried quickly, lasted years, was wipe clean, and protected the stuff it was painted on.

13. TeeCee Gold badge
    FAIL

"alert by text "

How?

I'm guessing that it gets in touch with its makers and a server owned by them does the job.

This will, of course, stop working as soon as its makers go deservedly titsup.com. What's more useless than an internet-connected air quality meter that texts you alerts? An internet-connected air quality meter that doesn't any more.....

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like