back to article Reach for the popcorn: Obama opens personal presidential Twitter account

Hold on to your hats, Barack Obama has arrived on Twitter in his formal position of President of the United States. The @POTUS account - run by "Dad, husband, and 44th President of the United States" - tweeted earlier this morning and has, so far, managed over half a million followers in an hour or so. Obama follows 65 other …

1. David Webb

POTUS

Shouldn't it really have been POTUS44? After all, he'll stop being *the* president eventually (though will still be Mr President for some reason), so what twitter handle will the next POTUS get? TheRealPOTUS?

1. chivo243 Silver badge

Re: POTUS

the potus account will surely be passed on, the one naming he who shall not be named will not.

1. David Webb

Well, that opens a whole bag of worms, what if Obama writes posts about the Lakers but the next president is a huge fan of the Clippers? The POTUS will have lots of posts attributed to him about the Lakers, then Chris Paul will be all "yo, President.... you suck, gimme my signed ball back", or something.

Can you even transfer ownership of a Twitter account? I guess the best option will be changing it from @POTUS to @EXPOTUS, though in a few years, oh my, it's never ending.

2. BillG
        Holmes

Sadly this is yet more political misdirection. By law, the President may not directly communicate on the internet without "internal review" and "proxy" which means Barry isn't really directly tweeting, it's an aide or the Secret Service.

There are many reasons for this, but the best reason is that the President might post something in all innocence, that might betray security and put his life or his family's in danger.

There was a great Discovery channel show that discussed POTUS security, even how the President wears a personal LoJack GPS locator strapped and locked to his torso enabling his location to be tracked even inside the White House. The lengths to which the President's life is guarded are extreme and almost draconian.

1. veti Silver badge

Seems to me that there are far, far more important things than "his life or his family's" that he could endanger, with careless tweeting.

Some people's priorities are all kind of messed up, and I think that goes for the US Secret Service.

2. Sarah Balfour

Actually, he's only the 43rd - Grover Cleveland server two unique terms.

Reg, I'm still waiting on that 'irritating pedant' icon.

3. Schlimnitz

Interestingly I saw a Tweet from @BillClinton (no idea if it's really him) asking the same question.

4. Trigonoceps occipitalis

The reason that Barrack Obama will be "Mr President" in Feb 2017, and the reason why senators, congressmen, ambassadors, committee chairmen, majority/minority leaders etc retain their honorific, is the lack of an honours system. Like or loath the MBE, KB etc, and the Life Peerage, it stops retired, sacked or failed politicos trying to retain status because of what they once did - largely by the public ridicule that would follow such a stunt.

2. Velv
    Black Helicopters

D'oh!

I just realised why he's got an iPhone - it makes it easier for the Secret Service to keep a track of him.

3. dan_in _ohio

Seriously? Doesn't he have more important things to do that Twitter?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"Seriously? Doesn't he have more important things to do that Twitter?"

Perhaps something to do with birds. It could involve FLOTUS, I suppose ...

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Tweets will be archived*

*Unlike State Department Emails.

Well at least we know where our priorities are.

5. BonerHitler420

"half a million followers in an hour or so"

"Despite managing over 500,000 followers in just over an hour, the president has some way to go to reach the other accounts tied to him: @WhiteHouse has six million and @BarackObama has 59 million followers."

Dammit, pick one of those four number formats and stick with it. This isn't The Grauniad.

1. gazthejourno (Written by Reg staff)

Re: "half a million followers in an hour or so"

Entirely consistent. Numerals 1-9 are spelled out in full; larger numbers are expressed in figures; eyecatching numbers get the full digit treatment.

6. asdf

as if

No matter how you feel about the guy he was the one that wrote the book (along with Howard Dean) on using social networking in campaigning to reach the younger voters, so its not like he is some nub to Twitter. Sadly it seems to be a trend for quite some time that the POTUS are much better at campaigning than governing.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like