back to article Microsoft's Surface 3 is sweet – but I wouldn't tickle my nads with it

There’s a commuter who gets off the train where I live who has a tablet down his trousers. Call it the middle-class version of builder’s crack or the male equivalent of the inappropriate G-string, it peeks out over the top of his chinos. Microsoft Surface 3 Windows 8.1 tablet Intel inside: Microsoft's Surface 3 Windows 8.1 …

Page:

1. Arctic fox
    Windows

An approach to doing business that..........

" Microsoft wants to tie all your contacts, media and documents into its cloud through the Surface end point."

.........neither Mountain View or Cupertino are interested in of course or have any analogues of. Er, hang on a minute....

1. mmeier

Re: An approach to doing business that..........

Actually MS would LIKE if you do that. But no one is forcing you to USE the bundled subscription.

The beauty of the Surface/3 is that it is just another Win/x86 system. So if you want local Exchange, Sharepoint etc - just use a standard office installation and be done. If you prefer Notes/Domino/OpenOffice - use that instead.

No walled garden, no app-store only software installations. If it runs on Win7 or better - it will run on the Surface/3 (1)

(1) Within the limits of 4GB and an ATOM.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

It's a pity KDEs' Plasma active seems to have fallen by the wayside, that did look good.

1. mmeier

The problem with Linux is the lack of (good quality) drivers for WACOM/NTRIG pens and, even more important, the software equivalents to Journal/OneNote and the Handwriting Recognition that Windows has since the days of XP Tablet Edition. Without them the Surface/x86 family runs on half an engine since the very exact pen IS a key component to use desktop software on a tablet pc.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"The reason for Surface has never been 100 per cent clear"

Profit of course. Microsoft are already selling well over $1 billion a quarter of Surface products and it's growing rapidly...

2. knarf

Why Why I always asked myself for Surface

It won't sit on your lap as it will fall over so its not a laptop as using the keyboard requires a desk, its windows and the "Metro" apps are next to useless.

Buy a nice a ultrabook, more practical and usable.

1. Steve Crook

Re: Why Why I always asked myself for Surface

I can't work out if the concept is flawed or the implementation. After all, it looks like a neat idea. It's one where I see the adverts, and think yes, possibly. Then I read the reviews and mmmm, possibly not. Then I look at the price and think, nope, not a chance.

2. Fuzz

I have a surface pro 2 at work and it does sit on your lap. It's a bit weird because the kick stand means you need space behind the screen on your legs to make it stand.

Personally I'd still rather have a nice light laptop.The new surface 3 is just too expensive and has too may compromises to make it really useful. The whole surface range has always suffered the same issues. They're too bulky, lacking in apps to beat a decent tablet and they're not as good as a decent laptop at being a laptop.

1. malfeasance

I have a surface 3 pro; and while I don't love it, it is a tool I use most days (I'm a dev by trade). I probably could have bought a surface 3 given my use-case.

1) It's lighter than my laptop (so going to visit customers is generally easier).

2) It is a duplicate of my laptop when it comes to source code / git / mercurial etc. My whole build environment is available.

3) It works adequately on my lap (in front of the TV style; if I need to do work, then yes, I'm the type that goes and sits at a desk). The type cover is pretty good to type on.

4) Wireless Display Adapter (though this isn't necessarily limited to having to use a Surface) for presentations...

5) The pen is excellent for taking notes, and (if you have trained it) then converting handwriting into text.

6) "Signing PDF NDA" without having to print the damn thing (yeah, this is a marginal use case).

7) While not exactly cheap; it's comparable to the price of a decent ultrabook (I spec'd out a 8gb/256SSD at the time)

The furore over the Win7 interface vs Windows 8 does bemuse me; The difference between the interface has never bothered me; I find the start menu navigate to "programs" the slowest way to start a program; I've used launchy since ~2011 so I just use that, I haven't touched a start button since then. Metro has it's uses as well; though I tend to end up on the desktop because cygwin / putty.

1. tony72

"The furore over the Win7 interface vs Windows 8 does bemuse me; The difference between the interface has never bothered me; I find the start menu navigate to "programs" the slowest way to start a program; I've used launchy since ~2011 so I just use that, I haven't touched a start button since then."

No it doesn't bemuse you, unless possibly you have absolutely no contact whatsoever with non-technical Windows users. Maybe you say things like that just to sound superior, or maybe you really are happily isolated from the non-technical reality, you tell me. I'm happily using 8.1, you're happily using 8.1, but we are technical. My mother had to phone me up the other day because she'd double-clicked a PDF on her new 8.1 ultrabook, which opened in the default Metro reader, and she couldn't figure out how to close it. No visible close gadget in the top-right, and no file menu, the two methods by which regular Windows users have learned to close applications since forever. The furore is because ordinary users are having to re-learn how to do basic things like that, to no great benefit to anyone.

1. dogged

8.1 has the classic "X" closure in the top right-hand corner.

Forgive me if I doubt your wonderful story.

1. tony72

You have to move the mouse up to the top and wait before the bar with the close gadget appears. If you don't know it's there, you aren't going to do that. This is exactly the problem with all the swipe-in-from-here, hover-the-mouse-here stuff. I guess you're also in the camp that doesn't have any contact with non-techical users.

1. mmeier

When my dad got a new box for his 75s birthday I spend 30min max setting it up. That includes the "standard file associations". And BINGO - no Modern UI apps appear.

Metro was only involved in the sale of the box, we got it from Mediamarkt, that belongs to Metro.

3. Dave Fox

Load of sloblock.

Written from my Surface Pro 3, whilst it is perched on my lap.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

I must admit, though, it's a little precarious. And due to the requirement of the back support (this goes on your knee cap), you find the keyboard is up against your body, especially if you have short legs or a love for food. Very awkward to type like that.

And as soon as you need to adjust your posture a little - it's a struggle holding the tablet screen and adjusting the back support while getting my keyboard just right.. whoops, there goes my brew.. ah fuck it, I'm back in the same position.

With a laptop/ultrabook, you just pick it up with one hand and get into a comfy position, without even thinking... and you can balance it on one leg, the arm of any chair, or even hold it in your hand and still type.

2. Green Nigel 42

"Oooh Sloblock" said Ben

"If you love me you'd ......... " said Bill (cleaning his Surface!)

4. big_D Silver badge

My Surface works fine as a laptop on my lap... It doesn't fall over.

5. Blitterbug
      Facepalm

Re: Buy a nice a ultrabook, more practical and usable

It is a nice Ultrabook. Well, the Surface Pro is, and your rant seems aimed at all Surfaces, so I call BS on this particular comment. Plus, I use mine on my lap quite happily & its only a gen 1 Pro and therefore only has one stand position. So sorry, I call uninformed FUD on this entire post.

6. Mentalfloss-1966

I agree. Watching someone use a MS Surface on a train is hilarious. Someone with an Acer 2in1 with a hinged keyboard, totally doable. WTF was Microsoft thinking? Instant fail IMO.

1. mmeier

Asuming one of the x86 Surfaces - he/she is using it wrong. The unit comes with a beautiful pen and very capabel handwriting recognition. Anything resonably doable on a train can easily be done using the x86 units without a keyboard.

When I go to have my eyes checked (getting a medication that blurs the vision for a while) I even use the voice synthesizer / voice recognition build into Windows to "read" emails over a BT headset.

7. Selden

There's a reason the word "laptop" is not used for the Surface devices. I was a backer for the Remix Kickstarter project, a device that is physically very similar (one could say "knockoff") running Android. I'm fine with this form factor as a big tablet (excellent for watching movies), and even for use on a table, but it's extremely awkward in the lap. The kickstand sorta kinda works, but it's still not a laptop. For the past 5 years, most of my computer use is in a chair, occasionally in bed, where the traditional clamshell laptop form factor works better.

3. werdsmith Silver badge

Surface pro suits my requirements just fine, doubling up as a laptop.

It does, however, have one problem stopping me from buying one - the price.

Which is why I use a Linx 10, which surprised me by handling everything I asked of it.

1. Irongut

I bought a Linx 8 in January and haven't used my Android tablets since. Its lighter, faster and I can actually get some work done on it. All for a fraction of the price.

2. GitMeMyShootinIrons

I have to agree - if you compare a Linx 10 to a Surface 3, then the price tag has it, unless you really need the hardware extras (digitizer, posh keyboard) and brand name. I have a Linx 8 (I was replacing a Droid tablet with something more interesting and useful) and I've been impressed. It was under £80 - so a fraction of the cost of an iPad Mini and frankly leaves it in the shade.

On the other hand, comparing a Linx 10 to a Surface Pro is another matter. The Surface Pro is the next tier up as it has considerably more horsepower. If the Surface is an iPad alternative, then Surface Pro is more or less aimed at MacBook Air territory, though obviously, the keyboard extra might make it a bit more expensive.

1. mmeier

I have the comparison between a Lenovo TPT10 and a Note 10.1. The poor lil Penguin fell on his back, made a strange sound and died in shame. Even with the same digitiser (both have a Wacom) the upper class Android can not compete with a Baytrail Atom. And the iPad won't do any better.

Even if I leave the pen out of the equation, something that no one who used it for a while will do, the system is a lot faster when handling stuff like complex PDFs, can easily handle multiple documents with fast switching and uses the same software as the main box.

The Pro series is another step upward and may or may not be what one needs. I do not use a private notebook (Company "notebook" is a Fujitsu T902, that does not count) but found that I use my tablet pc most often as a "electronic legal pad" (with OneNote etc). and for such uses a Surface/3 is "good enough" with the benefits of "less openings in the hull" and "USB charging"

4. Wheaty73
    Thumb Up

Laptop?

The original surface (RT) works on your lap fine with the KB, even without the 'rigid' cover. But really, why would you want to? for casual work / browsing remove the keyboard. For longer periods of actual work - use the bloody table.

Also #corrections - you don't need to go to the desktop to set up a wireless connection. Its all done in Metro.

I have an RT and will probably get one of these should it break. Wonder if it will run Civ...

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Laptop?

Just remove the keyboard altogether when using the surface on your lap. Easy.

2. Midnight

Re: Laptop?

Civ runs smoothly on a Bay Trail Atom, as long as you don't stress the 3D graphics too much. Leave it at the default settings and it will crawl sadly along until you give up waiting. Switch to strategic view and disable the talking heads and it will fly.

(Now you know.)

5. This post has been deleted by its author

6. Talic

Connecting to wifi

Is this your first time with windows 8? You don't need to open control panel or network and sharing centre to connect to wifi.. Just use the right charm and click networks. Wifi networks will be listed right there

1. Naselus

Re: Connecting to wifi

"Is this your first time with windows 8?"

Gavin's articles often make me question whether he's a tech journalist, or just a regular journo who occasionally writes for El Reg. His reviews rarely cover any technical aspects and instead obsess over weight and appearance - just as in this review we're treated to one line of tech specs and two pages of drivel about how the slablet looks 'chunky' or 'soviet' (along with a completely irrelevant half-page about some commuter's trousers). The information in this is is the kind of thing I would expect to find in the free papers they give out on buses rather than in a dedicated tech publication.

No mention of battery life; no details on the wifi specs (seriously, is it ac capable? this would be worth mentioning either way); no details about the RAM or SSD aside from pure capacity. There's more waffle about the fuzzy felt on the type cover than useful details about the actual computer it's attached to, and nearly a third of the article is dedicated to an increasingly inaccurate review of Windows 8.1 (which may be considered a bit late, since Win 8.1 was released just under 2 years ago). Reading through, I get the feeling that yes, this IS his first time using Win 8.1.

1. werdsmith Silver badge

Hmm, in the spirit of El Reg if I want a review then I would head over to something like TechRadar. I come to El Reg for the comedy and I fully expect the author to rip the piss out of whatever the subject of the article is.

1. dogged

> I come to El Reg for the comedy and I fully expect the author to rip the piss out of whatever the subject of the article is.

I agree. However it would be nice if the author listed genuine shortcomings rather than making some up. Still, I guess if you read a Gavin Clarke review of a Microsoft product, you're asking for everything you get. It's like an Ed Miliband review of bacon sandwiches.

1. Dave 126 Silver badge

>I come to El Reg for the comedy and I fully expect the author to rip the piss out of whatever the subject of the article is.

The Reg doesn't do that in *reviews*. Yeah, in all other articles the Reg will take the piss out of [Company], but its reviews of actual products are honest enough.

7. jason 7

RT was essential.

It annoyed Intel to see MS with ARM...on a date together. So it ended up making the chips that MS wanted in the first place.

That RT cash write off was probably cheaper/quicker than negotiating with Intel.

So now we have a Surface that gets good reviews rather than mixed.

Oh and -

" but otherwise it’s an effort to carry"

Can we please see a pic of all tech reviewers who state that a mobile device is too heavy? I need to know if it's a human being writing this or a marmoset?

Feeble!

1. PleebSmash
      WTF?

Re: RT was essential.

$900 million to "get" Intel to do what it has done for several generations, make chips that use less power.

Sure.

1. Paul Shirley

@PleebSmash

Intel have indeed been very good at burning less power than AMD's efforts (and delivering more performance).

They've been rather less successful against ARM unless you believe Intels own propaganda and it's ARM they were fighting for Microsofts business.

2. Robert Carnegie Silver badge

Surely the purpose of RT was and is to be a cheaper "Windows" tablet that runs only the new "Windows Store" software where Microsoft gets 33 per cent of your software spending (and Microsoft Office). So you pay less first but more later when you install stuff. And old software doesn't run. And, yeah, people didn't fall for that - not yet, but Microsoft will try again.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

So you pay less first but more later when you install stuff. And old software doesn't run.

Hasn't this always been the case?

2. Phil Kingston

One of the main benefits was all day battery life.

But people kept peddling the "it doesn't run x" line, so it never caught on. Anyone with the nous to actually try the thing found it wasn't an issue. But hey, everyone just believes what a few tech "journalists" say.

3. Dave 126 Silver badge

>Can we please see a pic of all tech reviewers who state that a mobile device is too heavy? Feeble!

Twat. I'm sure jason 7 will never age and become infirm.

1. jason 7

Oh c'mon man something with that much functionality and weighing so little is classed as heavy?

Really? I remember just a few years ago I had laptops with power supplies that weighed more than that.

It's like reviewers that say "The phone weighs in at a 'hefty' 160 grams!" Really? That hefty to you?

Sometimes devices have to have some mass or they bend or need charging every 11 hours. Either most tech reviewers are really weak or they must be no older than 16.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

£419 (64GB, 2GB RAM), £499 (128GB, 4GB RAM) RRP

no need to stretch my eyes and mind (or whatever is left of it) to go into details. No table is worth this price. Next!

1. returnmyjedi

Re: £419 (64GB, 2GB RAM), £499 (128GB, 4GB RAM) RRP

"No table is worth this price"

Depends on how many you can sit round it.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

oh, yes, I do remember that MS ad from 2 or 3 years back. Tablet for (family) table.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

While a £600 phone (or worse, a smartwatch) is worth the price?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"While a £600 phone (or worse, a smartwatch) is worth the price?"

Certainly not. In fact, I'd say 100 - 150 quid is tops I'd ever pay for a mobile.

2. John Bailey

"While a £600 phone (or worse, a smartwatch) is worth the price?"

No sweetie.

Like many, you are unable to distinguish between worth and price.

Price is what the seller attaches to their goods. How much money they hope to get.

This has little or nothing to do with the cost to make the thing. And everything to do with the herds of fools who buy a thing based on brand status alone.

Value is what we, the buyers, attach to the goods. What we are willing to part with, to get the attributes promised.

If value is lower than price, a smart person rejects the goods.

If value is higher than price, the buyer accepts the goods.

An iPhone is not worth £600 to many many people, so they do not buy one.

An iWatch is not worth the £300+ it is being sold for, to many many many more. So they do not buy.

And a Surface 3 is not worth nearly £500 to a great many people, so they will laugh at the idea of spending that much on a crippled laptop,and an inadequate tablet. .

Worth is personal. It is the value we place on the stuff we acquire.

Paying £5 for a solder sucker is worth it if you have a few easy solder joints to remove now and then. And if it does the job.. great. Money well spent.

Paying £70 was worth it to me, to be able to remove more difficult parts safely and without damage. So I got a de-soldering gun. Now multi lead components just fall out. Stripped a whole board of LEDs from an old project in under 5 minutes on Saturday, without damaging the LEDs. Brilliant tool. WORTH every penny to me. Overkill to many, inadequate to many others.

Paying £300+ to do the same job, but faster is worth it to someone who is more time constrained, or not paying for their own tools. And that is fine too. But it is not worth that to me. Time is not important, and I am unlikely to be working on multi layer boards with big copper pours. So my cheap gun is fine.

All these tools do essentially the same thing. But to differing degrees, and with differing competence. Which is chosen depends on it's value to the buyer. Not a take it or leave it price.

Once you understand this concept, you will hopefully stop asking such damn fool questions.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Perfectly lovelyI explanation. Who makes the £70 model?

9. Gordon 10

How does it compare

Against the new MacBook?

Ok so the new MB doesn't have touch, but I suspect that they are both aimed at much the same market, albeit the Apple one at a much higher spending demographic ;)

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like